Guild Starfire V 2015

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
You're forgetting Buddy Guy.
I left him off my short list as Buddy never played a Starfire V as far as I know, he always played Starfire IV. I had only listed players who play the bigsby equipped IV (as a special like the Keith Richards/Buddy Guy one, which Buddy only displayed in his bar), the real V and VI.
Ralf

GSFV

Reaction score
I have the exact same guitar (maybe it's 2016? hmm...now i need to check).

TL:DR - amazing guitar! I don't think you'll regret it. What color? Any pics to share? It covers every genre I've tried to throw at it.

I got mine in white, and absolutely LOVE it. I've had some ups and downs with. Some frustrations for sure. But that was mostly user error. I found that it really likes 11 gauge strings. Which wasn't a problem for me coming from a deluxe tele with 11's. With the scale length smaller, it feels softer.

I have tried many things to balance the pickups that people talk about. Even going so far as to de-solder and switch their positions. Putting the bridge in the neck, and vice versa. It was weird. Kinda a cool sound. But too niche, not very versatile. I ultimately switched it back. What I settled on is raising the bridge pickup, and lowering the neck pickup. It helped. BUT the big change was just re-EQing my amp. Lowered the bass side, raised the mids, and treble. I was very happy with it after that.

It's been my go-to for a couple years now since i got it Jan '17. It replaced a USA '99 Strat. I still love my strat, but the Guild has the sound I'm looking for.

Some have complained about tuning stability, but I got some nut lube (Big Bend's Nut Sauce :laughing: ), and used some White Lithium Grease on the "adjustomatic" bridge saddles. No issues whatsoever. And if I do have issues, it's usually because it's time to change strings. I do the lube stuff every other string change.

I have used it to play classic rock. Blues. Worship. Pop. Finger style. Ambient stuff. I don't venture much into hard rock, but I have no doubt that it could handle it. The neck radius will be similar to your tele, rounder than most guitars with that shape. It's a great guitar. Probably not as nice as the older USA made star fires (I've never made a comparison personally), but a great guitar! I have no regrets.

Love me some Guild!

Crazylay

Reaction score
I have the exact same guitar (maybe it's 2016? hmm...now i need to check).

TL:DR - amazing guitar! I don't think you'll regret it. What color? Any pics to share? It covers every genre I've tried to throw at it.

I got mine in white, and absolutely LOVE it. I've had some ups and downs with. Some frustrations for sure. But that was mostly user error. I found that it really likes 11 gauge strings. Which wasn't a problem for me coming from a deluxe tele with 11's. With the scale length smaller, it feels softer.

I have tried many things to balance the pickups that people talk about. Even going so far as to de-solder and switch their positions. Putting the bridge in the neck, and vice versa. It was weird. Kinda a cool sound. But too niche, not very versatile. I ultimately switched it back. What I settled on is raising the bridge pickup, and lowering the neck pickup. It helped. BUT the big change was just re-EQing my amp. Lowered the bass side, raised the mids, and treble. I was very happy with it after that.

It's been my go-to for a couple years now since i got it Jan '17. It replaced a USA '99 Strat. I still love my strat, but the Guild has the sound I'm looking for.

Some have complained about tuning stability, but I got some nut lube (Big Bend's Nut Sauce :laughing: ), and used some White Lithium Grease on the "adjustomatic" bridge saddles. No issues whatsoever. And if I do have issues, it's usually because it's time to change strings. I do the lube stuff every other string change.

I have used it to play classic rock. Blues. Worship. Pop. Finger style. Ambient stuff. I don't venture much into hard rock, but I have no doubt that it could handle it. The neck radius will be similar to your tele, rounder than most guitars with that shape. It's a great guitar. Probably not as nice as the older USA made star fires (I've never made a comparison personally), but a great guitar! I have no regrets.

Love me some Guild!

Thanks for you replie! I do got some problems with tuning when using the bigsby though. When I tune the guitar(intonation is perfect) and then use the bigsby.. it gets out of tune.. 🤷🏻*♂️

Mark WW

Reaction score
Have the nut checked. String is probably binding. I have an NS SF VI and have no problems with the pickups. Great guitars. Congrats!

GSFV

Reaction score
Yeah, initially my Guildsby acted that way too. I think mine is sensitive to strings. Meaning some strings hold tune better than others. I use Elixir Optiwebs. 11 gauge. They work much better than the D’Addario’s that came with it. I also use Big Bends Nut sauce every other string change on the nut. Some recommend graphite from a pencil, but I’ve not had much luck there.

I see these as small maintenance tasks. It certainly doesn’t deter me from the guitar. My Strat may be a bit more comfortable (body contours), but when I look down at the fretboard I’d rather see my guild!