Guild Starfire V 2015

Crazylay

Reaction score
Hi there!

I got the chance to trade my Fender usa tele with a starfire v(ksg 2015). What is your experience with this guitar?

I play southern rock, and blues, rock covers and own songs with my band. Examples: queen, ccr, Tom Petty, guns n roses, Fleetwood Mac etc. Is it any good for this kind of music?

Thanks!

Marco (Netherlands)

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcom, Marco!

I would say the Starfire is great for pretty much any kind of music! It will be a change from the Tele though.

shihan

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Welcome, Marco!
I think you’ll be pleased with the versatility of the Starfire.

dbirchett

Reaction score
Marco, I have a US made Starfire V and it is my go to guitar. I am sure that the 2015 Korean-made model is very nice as well. Having said that, I am not sure that it is the same value as the USA tele. You'd have to be more specific about the model, condition, etc.

The biggest problem that people have had with the Korean Guilds is the issue with the neck pickup being more powerful than the bridge, which makes it difficult to balance. There have been a lot of ideas as to how to correct, including reversing the pickups, rewinding the bridge, getting a new neck pickup for the bridge, etc. Reading this article will explain a lot: https://www.gad.net/Blog/2018/03/09/guild-anti-hum-lb1-mini-humbucker-pickups/

Having said all that, the Starfire may well be more versatile than the Tele but that would be a hard choice to make. If possible, I would try to have both. Or maybe pick up a Squire 50s or 60s tele to go with the Starfire.

GGJaguar

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome Marco! I have a NS Starfire V and it does a great job for many types of music. I mainly play power pop and classic rock (including Tom Petty and CCR) and it works really well for those as well as blues. For southern rock, I think the bridge pickup might need a bit of a boost either with a pedal or just tweaking the amp settings. Otherwise, it's a really good guitar for the money. Have fun with your new Starfire!

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Phil X drives the vintage version pretty hard:

A few musicians who were or are still using Guildsby equipped Starfire IV, V or VI models:

Leslie Feist, Norah Jones, Leslie West, Son Seals, Scott Tournet, Keith Richards, Jimmy Hendrix, Joe Walsh, Carl Wilson (Beach Boys), Chet Lyster (Eals), Mike Pinera (Blues Image, Iron Butterfly), Mike Mitchell (The Kingsmen, he played one of the very first Starfire V ever made on Louie Louie!), Tom Fogerty (CCR, he actually had at least two SF VI without Guildsby), ...

Ralf

Last edited:

Crazylay

Reaction score
Hey thanks all for the replies!

Last nicht i traded met tele die the guild! What a beauty! The sound is awesome. I will test it with my band met week!

Crazylay

Reaction score
Thanks alle for the replies. I got the guild. I traded it yesterday. What a beauty! What a sound 😊

Next week i will test it with my band!

DeArmond Hammer

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Hi, @Crazylay, I'm new here too. I love my Starfire V but I don't know that it would make you forget the Telecaster that you've gotten used to. I have a Squier Tele, and it's different from the Starfire in its feel, sound, and the kind of music it inspires me to play. At least give the Starfire a good try before you give up your Number 1.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Hi, @Crazylay, I'm new here too. I love my Starfire V but I don't know that it would make you forget the Telecaster that you've gotten used to. I have a Squier Tele, and it's different from the Starfire in its feel, sound, and the kind of music it inspires me to play. At least give the Starfire a good try before you give up your Number 1.

Hey, welcome aboard to both of you!
I'm not an electric guy myself but yes I'd think these were 2 instruments with enough difference in "best use" to be worth keeping both.
Even as versatile as they are, I'd still be pretty surprised if either Starfire version could really nail some of the tones Page got on Led Zeppelin"1", for example (thinking of "Good Times Bad Times" and "Communication Breakdown" in particular).
Maybe Hendrix might have been able to pull it off:
109859dd4a8e89dacf9a4b2ab00b5e82.jpg

:glee:
I had to assume that maybe Crazylay can only keep one at the moment.

Last edited:

Crazylay

Reaction score
Hey, welcome aboard to both of you!
I'm not an electric guy myself but yes I'd think these were 2 instruments with enough difference in "best use" to be worth keeping both.
Even as versatile as they are, I'd still be pretty surprised if either Starfire version could really nail some of the tones Page got on Led Zeppelin"1", for example (thinking of "Good Times Bad Times" and "Communication Breakdown" in particular).
Maybe Hendrix might have been able to pull it off:
109859dd4a8e89dacf9a4b2ab00b5e82.jpg

:glee:
I had to assume that maybe Crazylay can only keep one at the moment.

Indeed.. i can only keep of these 2. I traded the tele for the guild. I placed a custom order at a guitar builder here in the Netherlands.. he is building me a guitar so i need to save soms $$$😄

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Indeed.. i can only keep of these 2. I traded the tele for the guild. I placed a custom order at a guitar builder here in the Netherlands.. he is building me a guitar so i need to save soms $$$��
Keep us posted!
We like to see finely crafted instruments no matter whose logo's on the headstock!
Even have a subforum for "other brands":
http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/forumdisplay.php?136-Guitars-amp-other-stringed

:friendly_wink:
(That is a genuine lefty Starfire Hendrix is playing by the way, something not usually associated with him and auctioned off not too long ago):
57534814_1_x.jpg

Crazylay

Reaction score
Nice tot see him holding a starfire! I started playing because of Jimi 😄

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Nice tot see him holding a starfire! I started playing because of Jimi ��
Was hopin' that'd strike a chord, so to speak.
:smile:
I actually decided to focus on flattops because of Richie Havens but Jimi's still one of my top ten heroes too.
Oh yeah, re:
Indeed.. i can only keep of these 2. I traded the tele for the guild. I placed a custom order at a guitar builder here in the Netherlands.. he is building me a guitar so i need to save soms $$$��
Is that Flip Scipio, by any chance?
Between him and our guru Hans Moust, if it's yet another guy, the Netherlands are a veritable hotbed of luthiery!

Last edited:

DeArmond Hammer

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
(That is a genuine lefty Starfire Hendrix is playing by the way, something not usually associated with him and auctioned off not too long ago):
57534814_1_x.jpg

So cool! I didn't know Jimi ever played a left-handed guitar, let alone a Starfire. Good on Guild for serving the sinistral market.

Crazylay

Reaction score
Was hopin' that'd strike a chord, so to speak.
:smile:
I actually decided to focus on flattops because of Richie Havens but Jimi's still one of my top ten heroes too.
Oh yeah, re:

Between him and our guru Hans Moust, if it's yet another guy, the Netherlands are a veritable hotbed of luthiery!

No not flip. When it's done i will open a new thread with all the specs and pictures etc. 😃

dbirchett

Reaction score
Phil X drives the vintage version pretty hard:

A few musicians who were or are still using Guildsby equipped Starfire IV, V or VI models:

Leslie Feist, Norah Jones, Leslie West, Son Seals, Scott Tournet, Keith Richards, Jimmy Hendrix, Joe Walsh, Carl Wilson (Beach Boys), Chet Lyster (Eals), Mike Pinera (Blues Image, Iron Butterfly), Mike Mitchell (The Kingsmen, he played one of the very first Starfire V ever made on Louie Louie!), Tom Fogerty (CCR, he actually had at least two SF VI without Guildsby), ...

Ralf

You're forgetting Buddy Guy.

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score

Most likely not! There are quite a few other makers in the Netherlands. I'm not a guitar maker; I've been doing mostly repairs!

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl