Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Help with possible Thunder 1 purchase?

They came from the factory with CTS and oxford speakers. Took a look again and the Jensen is a replacement speaker. The inside of the cabinet is how my other amps with that construction look.
    "Steve, you are a man of many goats."~ capnjuan

"Alternatively, you could just go the ultra-relic route with it. Basically go for a look that says the amp was on fire and they put it out using belt sanders."
    (amps - I need a "99" & "50")

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gilded View Post
    I gotta go to Court now and look at 8 point font.
    gilded
    Does vision loss allow a lawyer to collect on a disability insurance policy or do they just give up on "small print"? :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by mgod View Post
    What he said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuball48 View Post
    Frono: You are correct----again.

'67 Starfire I Bass (Cherry)
    '71 JS II Bass (Walnut)
    '82 B-50 Acoustic Bass (Natural)
    '87 Pilot (Black)
    '13 Newark Street Starfire Bass (Cherry)
    '16 Betts Bass "Walnut Bottom"

LMG I, II, III

This space available.

I often tell people that I am laser-surgery-induced dyslexic. My eyes are pretty shot and I find my self trying to glean the meaning of the post and not the complete information. ...

So let's look at the signature.... Oh, X79k this, S300 Ash Dimarziio that. Okay, I get it. My bad.
    Well, actually.....that's GAD's signature, not the OP Amnicon...who does btw show 2 electrics in his sig...
    Nonetheless your testimony gives ample proof that you're an expert witness in the field of your specific disability.

I gotta go to Court now and look at 8 point font. I'll catch up on this thread tonight.

gilded
    Well at least you're in the right profession.

Al
    "Time May Change the Technique of Music But Never Its Mission " - Rachmaninoff
    My 1st Guild: '96 Westerly D25NT "Hally" (10-31-96 stamped on heelblock)
    #2: '01 Westerly F65ce "Blondie"
    #3: '03 Corona D40e Richie Havens "Richie"
    All bought new!

Well, actually.....that's GAD's signature, not the OP Amnicon...who does btw show 2 electrics in his sig...

LOL Not my day at all fellas! Harry aka gilded
    Quote Originally Posted by fronobulax View Post

And I like Harry's approach.
    '66 Starfire I SB bass, '67 Mark IV pear wood, '68 F-112, '75 Mark 4 P padauk,
    '66 Thunderbird amp, '68 Thunder 1 RVT amp and, yet another '68 Thunder 1 RVT amp!

Some more context on me- I've been an acoustic guy for 25ish years, but have been playing more electric the last 5ish. The current electrics are a Thunderbird reissue from recent years and an old Univox LP copy with some updates (in addition to the Pilot bass that's listed in the signature).

I haven't felt the need until recently to upgrade my amp- a Fender Mustang modeling amp that has been adequate. I tend to like my amp cleaner to allow for layering loops with different pedal sounds and textures. I've looked at small Fenders and Voxs, but golly gee, a Guild would be better, right? I've looked at the Thunder 1 amps, and even had one available in town, but I know nothing on the technical side of the amps, and don't really have a drive to learn. I didn't want to have to problem-solve or figure out how to get it fully functional.

This one caught my eye because of the recent work and it helped that it was done by a shop I know and respect. I'm not in Madison, but my son will be there this weekend and could do the pick-up. It seemed like a good opportunity, so that's where you all come in- to tell me if it really does seem like a good opportunity. A good opportunity given the cost and condition, which I'm hearing it is. Also a good opportunity for what I actually need, which I think in maybe is?
    75 D40 SB
    77 G212 SB
    87 Pilot
    06 GAD25
    16 T-200

I like mine a lot. I think it's a pretty good livingroom/mancave amp. Just remember to mic the reverb amp speaker when recording it because the main speaker is the dry signal.

"Don't ask me to be your voice of fiscal reason."
    "Steve, you are a man of many goats."~ capnjuan

"Alternatively, you could just go the ultra-relic route with it. Basically go for a look that says the amp was on fire and they put it out using belt sanders."
    (amps - I need a "99" & "50")

To me, Fair Condition with a changed transformer isn't worth $499, so if you bought it, you'd keep it for a long time.

That said, they are fun guitar amps. The vibrato is great and the reverb is pretty good (not great). The boost feature is good, but it has to be, because that amp is anemic on the normal channel.

Their biggest problem is that they aren't Fenders. One day you'll wake up and say, 'I wish I'd kept the $499 in my pocket and used it on a down payment on a Princeton Reverb.'
    Of course, I have 2 Princetons ('68 Reverb and '62 Brown Face), plus a Pro Reverb.

One thing I'd do is call the repair shop and talk to the repairman about the transformer. I would be shocked if it was an original Guild replacement transformer, so you might see how close to the Guild specs the replacement trannie is. I think there was a thread on Guild Thunder 1 RVT transformers here at LTG a few years ago, but I don't know if it's the same trannie you have.

Oh, no headroom when you are playing loud. None. And they are a bit heavier than they look. And it's pretty easy to knock a power tube out of them if you transport one around in a vehicle.

So long for now, gilded

'66 Thunderbird amp, '68 Thunder 1 RVT amp and, yet another '68 Thunder 1 RVT amp!

To veer, I have never played a Princeton that Iíve liked. Now a Champ or Tweed Deluxe? Yes please.

I have one of these and I love it. I use it in my little studio and it works just fine for that, works great for that , actually. The reverb on mine is fantastic, and it’s physically as clean as a whistle even though I bought it from a harp player.
    1953 X-220
    1955 Masteramp
    1958 M-65 Freshman
    1967 Thunderbass
    1967 Thunder 1 RVT
    1968 Thunderbass
    1970 S-100

Quote Originally Posted by GAD View Post
    To veer, I have never played a Princeton that Iíve liked. Now a Champ or Tweed Deluxe? Yes please.
    Like they used to say in Detroit, "There's an arse for every seat." You,too, may pick what you like.

Personally, I can hear the 10" Princeton speakers better than I can hear 12" speakers. It's been that way for a long time.
    Another thing is that the Princeton at 27 lbs is about 13 lbs lighter than a Deluxe Reverb, which comes in around 40 lbs. That's a good thing these days.

I played my '67 Pro Reverb at an outside gig in September, but the original 12" Utah speakers sounded dull and lifeless. I'm looking for a pair of '60s Jensen C12N speakers to stick in the Pro Reverb's cab and see if it tells a different story to me.

The best sound I ever got out of a 12" speakers was another Pro Reverb with JBL D120 speakers. It was incredible. It also weighed about 74 lbs., and that was incredibly tough on an old Dude. But, man, it really sounded good. You could do any Fender sound with that amp, except the stamp-frame-speaker 'flex' sound, when a Strat is pushing hard and the stamped frames bend a little allowing the speaker cones to contort and make the Strat sound rubbery! I wasn't good enough to get that sound, but a friend of mine could make a Super Reverb and a Strat sound like that.

My second fave 12" sound was a mid '70s Marshall 100 watt tamed down with an attenuator, on top of a Marshal 4x12 slant cab with G-65 Celestions. I played it with the ash-bodied, maple-necked Strat I've played for 20 years, along with a clean boost pedal and an Ibanez TS-9. It sounded good enough to for me to think, 'I've finally got my sound.'

The only problem was that the rehearsal room was 11'x 15'. We were a 6-piece band and filled the room with our gear, so it was hard to find the right spot for the Marshall. I settled on placing the Half Stack on an open spot on the back-wall drum riser, about 5' away from the drummer. After a couple of songs, he stopped playing. I turned around to find him looking at me strangely. I thought he was he was having a heart attack, so I said, "McQuitty...you okay?" He looked back at me and tremulously said, "I feel like I've been baked." Apparently, I had baked him with my 'Dream Sound' That 'Sound' bit the dust.

Curiously, 'Sticks' had a big heart bypass operation about a year later, so maybe I had indeed baked him.

gilded