Is there a place that restores old cases??

gilded

Reaction score
I have a '17" '50s Lifton arch-top case that is in need of repair. The covering is okay, but the glue has dried out and the pieces are not glued to each other!

It has a replacement leather handle that is stretched out and I would like to get that taken care of, too.

Anybody have any thoughts?

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Anyone near you repair luggage, etc.? I'm wondering if fixing a suitcase or other luggage is similar to a guitar case...

walrus

GuildFS4612CE

Reaction score
Luggage repair is exactly what you need...handles can be replaced, coverings/linings etc can be re-glued...if the material hasn't deteriorated too much in which case it can be re-covered.

Last edited:

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
+1 on the luggage repair place, they fixed one of my guild cases recently. The airlines tend to keep these guys busy.

dbirchett

Reaction score
I had a G&L molded case with a busted hinge. Took it in to a shoe/luggage repair shop. They fixed it up like new.

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
I had a vintage guitar case with a worn and frayed interior lining. I took it to an upholsterer (chairs, sofas, etc.). They removed the old lining and foam backing. Then they custom cut a new foam backing and glued in a new felt lining. It looked great and protected the guitar.

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I had no idea there were still luggage repair places. I am glad there are. The world seems to be just disposable, these days.

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Luggage repair is exactly what you need...

+1 on the luggage repair place...

...Took it in to a shoe/luggage repair shop. They fixed it up like new.

...I took it to an upholsterer (chairs, sofas, etc.).... It looked great and protected the guitar.

Good to know! The lining in the case for my Martin is thin right where the neck lays on it. This caused a wear mark on the back of the neck! I've just been putting a polish cloth over that spot, but good to know this is something that can be done right if I ever decide to....

gilded

Reaction score
OP here. Thanks, folks. All good info.

gilded