Took in the F512

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I contacted Guild to ask what local shop could fix the gouge to the top of the F512 I recently bought (at a greatly discounted price). The Guild rep said Guitar Czar was the only local place they recommended. So I finally took her down there yesterday. I'm pretty confident with the luthiers at Guitar Czar. I've taken a number of guitars there in the past, and they've done good work. There will be a bit of a wait, however. Four weeks just to get to the job, and another 2 to 3 weeks to do the work. Fortunately, I have other 12-strings to keep me busy in the meanwhile. :tiger:

The gouge looks pretty bad in the photo below, but it's not really that bad. It's about 2.5 inches long and barely noticeable in the 2nd photo.

I'm also having a K&K for 12-string installed. F512 is going to be near new when I get her back!

f512-5.jpg

fff493.jpg

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Oh, BTW, I asked the luthier what he thought caused the gouge. His guess was that it was knocked off a stand. There is a slight bump directly across from the big gouge. I figure he's probably right.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
That's great, Cougs. Glad you're getting that filled. What'd they quote you on the repair (if you don't mind me asking)?

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Doesn't look so bad to me and you got a superb deal on the guitar. I'm pretty sure even after the repairs you'll come out quite a bit ahead on this one. And, I'll bet the repair will all but make that gouge issue disappear. Anyway, congrats!!!!!!!!!

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks, guys!

That's great, Cougs. Glad you're getting that filled. What'd they quote you on the repair (if you don't mind me asking)?

You know, I didn't even ask. I figure it'll be pretty reasonable. They're good guys down there, but they're in business and doing good work, so they deserve a decent price. For the price I paid for this $3,800 guitar, I can put more than a few hundred into it and still come out way ahead. I'll let you know the cosmetic repair charge before Christmas.

I've been playing it. With the strings it came with, it's got this very full, woody tone, very different than the archback maple JF30-12 (which is still spectacular), big sound with the bass string, but still well balanced across all 12-strings. I'm lovin' it. :encouragement:

Reaction score
So cool. Now you have the “zing” of maple/spruce with the JF30-12, and the rich fullness of the rosewood/spruce F512! You’ve got the bases covered! And you’ll still be in an equity position! Can’t beat that! Congrats!

HeyMikey

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Can’t wait to see it. Yeah, that was one heck of a deal you got. Interesting that Guild could recommend a local repair shop for you. Do they have some kind of certified repair program or do you think it was just personal knowledge? I have two local guys I work with but it would be nice if Guild had a list of shops who have known Guild training and experience.

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Can’t wait to see it. Yeah, that was one heck of a deal you got. Interesting that Guild could recommend a local repair shop for you. Do they have some kind of certified repair program or do you think it was just personal knowledge? I have two local guys I work with but it would be nice if Guild had a list of shops who have known Guild training and experience.

Guild does have authorized repair shops. They have a map on their web site. Tom Jacobs' (Fixit) shop is an authorized repair shop but doesn't show up on the map, so I don't know how accurate it is.

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Interesting that Guild could recommend a local repair shop for you. Do they have some kind of certified repair program or do you think it was just personal knowledge?

Justin at Cordoba wrote back and said "Guitar Czar is the only Guild Authorized Service Center in Utah." I'm not sure how they gain that status, but I know they've got a couple luthiers who are really good. They've got quite a store, too. Nothing like the size of GC, of course, but they had recently moved to their new site, and now they're adding the store space next door, so they'll be a bit bigger. Great guys working there.

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
You’ve got the bases covered!

Haha, you can say that again, what with the 2018 Gibson dreadnought Songwriter 12-string, and the little Martin GPC12PA4 (which I had out yesterday and was amazed at the sound that little thing put out). When I got that Martin (also at a great discount), the neck was massively bowed, and there was a hump where the neck met the body. Took it to the guys at Guitar Czar who removed the bow and somehow straightened the hump, and it really plays great! A good luthier can really work wonders!

Martin GPC12PA4 - my only nonburst 12-string. :tiger:
mar015.jpg

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hey Cougar, Don has that exact Martin 12 string!! It's a pretty thing but we're both kinda disappointed in the sound. Of course, I've yet to put new strings on it and who knows how old those things are! I dislike changing strings and a 12-er is more than my patience can handle. But I do have a set here, so maybe before we sell it, I should bite the bullet?

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
...I dislike changing strings and a 12-er is more than my patience can handle.....

Man, I hear ya! In fact, I don't even mess with it - I take my 12ers in to a local tech and have them restring 'em for a nominal charge. Worth it to me!

Sorry you're disappointed with the sound of that little Martin! Sure, it's no jumbo Guild, but still a fun little thing. Maybe a new set of strings will make a difference....

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Well, it's kinda my fault for exerting my will at Guitar Center when Don fell in love with this cheap MIK/C? Martin dreadnaught that he loved. WAY cheaper!! But I kept pushing for MIA, and found this one on sale for a good price new full warranty. So, it's my own fault. It sounds way better plugged in!! I guess I'm just more of a six string guy...... I'll try new strings first. :encouragement:

Taylor Martin Guild

Reaction score
My Martin D-35 once fell from it's stand when a wind gust blew if over. It sustained very similar damage as your Guild has.
I took it to Acoustic Music in SLC for repair.
Kennard preformed a great repair on it.
You have to look very close to see where it was damaged now.
It takes a lot of time because they will drop fill lacquer in the crack and then sand and repeat many times to get it right.
You will be very happy with the results.

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
My Martin D-35 once fell from it's stand when a wind gust blew if over. It sustained very similar damage as your Guild has.

Interesting! A little confirmation on the cause!

I took it to Acoustic Music in SLC for repair.

Actually, I stopped by there first, which is basically right down the street!

Kennard preformed a great repair on it.

I expect your D35 has a natural top, not a sunburst. Yeah, the luthier there (might have been Kennard) said he could do the repair if it was a natural top, but the sunburst was a different story, and he wasn't really set up for the color matching. Very nice folks in that shop though. :encouragement: In fact, they suggested I contact Guild/Cordoba and see what they say, which I did.

kostask

Reaction score
Getting certified as an authorized repair center depends on which guitar company you are looking to get certified by. In some cases, you need a letter of reference from an already authorized repair person or center, along with evidence of previous repairs done. Martin does it this way. Fender is similar for guitars, but has a separate authorization for amps/electronics. In other cases, like Taylor, you need to attend their course, buy some specialized tools/materials (mostly to do with repair of the poly finishes they use), and show (during the course) your repair ability. I have no idea of what Cordoba's/Guild's requirements are.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Man, I hear ya! In fact, I don't even mess with it - I take my 12ers in to a local tech and have them restring 'em for a nominal charge. Worth it to me!

Sorry you're disappointed with the sound of that little Martin! Sure, it's no jumbo Guild, but still a fun little thing. Maybe a new set of strings will make a difference....

I really like the old Martin D-12-20 that I have. It's a very quiet guitar compared to the Guilds, but nicely balanced. A slothead 12er would clearly be too much for you dudes though. :) :)