Took in the F512

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
chazmo, I've heard people bitch and carry on about slot heads and was worried until I got my Taylor GC-8. I seem to have no trouble restringing that one. Of course if you added another six strings and squished the spacing tighter, I might lose my mind!! It's a close run thing...... :devilish:

12 string

Reaction score
Guild Total
Well that's just the thing, Tom. There are twice as many and they are closer together. You get used to it but still it takes longer on a slot head.

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I refuse to even try to restring a 12 string. I don't like 'em much (don't get me wrong, I love the sound. They're jst a PITA) in the 1st place and it takes me forever. I gladly pay to have my Luthier do it. Truth be told I more often than not have him restring my 6 strings as well. The way I figure it, I'm old, I'm Codgery (just learned that one on FB) and I've earned that right.

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
I refuse to even try to restring a 12 string. I don't like 'em much (don't get me wrong, I love the sound. They're jst a PITA) in the 1st place and it takes me forever. I gladly pay to have my Luthier do it. Truth be told I more often than not have him restring my 6 strings as well. The way I figure it, I'm old, I'm Codgery (just learned that one on FB) and I've earned that right.

As we used to say in the 60's, Right On!

kostask

Reaction score
I restrung my 12 string slot head Ovation many times. You do get used to it. I have also restrung my Lys 12 string many times. No real difference, but tuning up is a pain in the *** for both because of the neck moving around as tension is added. The good thing about 12 string slot heads is that the head of the guitar is lighter, and in my experience, the guitar is somewhat better balanced that solid/paddle head 12 strings. Slot heads also look. to my eyes, a hot nicer (6 or 12 strings). The Rickenbacker electric 12 strings are truly from outer space

Only thing I don't really like about 12 strings is the very small diameter octave G string. I have broken a number of those.