Fastest dang guitar purchase I’ve made in my life!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Wonderful review, thanks!
GREAT name! (Used to be one of my hobbies around here)
Interesting note about s/n vs tuners as the '96 catalog shows 'em with chrome (And A25's with "Ivoroid"),
but '97 catalog does show 'em with show gold, (and A25's with chrome) and apparently their gold tuners didn't have the "G" in the center:
('93 F65ce for comparo):
vzptwwqbfryuaapxx0mw.jpg

And see same ones on a '98 JF65.
Suspect the pieces in the '96 catalog must have been very early production or even prototypes since catalogs typically had to start being laid out for printing several months in advance.
Kinda surprised at: "Not a great strummer only in that like my ex-Martin the bass and overtones build upon themselves and muddies up a bit."
That's supposed to be a weakness of archbacks but also supposed to be a characteristic of rosewood (the overtones), so maybe that's why it was considered "sub-par" by some. I've also suspected it's why use of rosewood for arched backs is so uncommon.
Funny that the F30R doesn't seem to suffer the same rep, figure it's gotta be bracing.
I note catalog shows "standard bracing" for those.
I did see Hideglue's comment that they were considered great for Nashville tuning
How deep is the body?
And I keep forgetting about those fret markers, sweet detail.
RE s/n's, wouldn't surprise me if there really were only 209 of 'em, since they only appear in the '96 and '97 catalogs.
In case you haven't seen GAD's "archive" yet, you might like this:
https://www.gad.net/Blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Guild-1997-Catalog-Acoustic.pdf

Last edited:

HeyMikey

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
1996 A-50 flat top vs 2012 F30-R Std

Quick comparison between the 1996 A-50 flat top (left) vs 2012 F30-R Std (right).

2012 F-30R Std
Weight 4 lbs 8 oz.
Dimensions in inches: Overall 41-1/2. Lower 15-2/16 x 4-5/16. Upper 11-1/2 x 3-1/2.
Saddle center to lower bout end 8-0. Fretboard end to saddle center 7-5/8. Nut about 1.762 with 1.491
string spacing.
A quick looks shows noticeably lighter bracing than the A-50.
Summary: Larger body, about the same weight, lighter bracing than the A-50. Very good balance of tone, overtones, sustain and separation of notes. Good for picking and very good for strumming. A great do-everything smaller body guitar.

1996 A-50 flat top
Weight 4 lbs 12 oz , then subtract 2.0 oz for Fishman pickup/end jack/wires/battery, so maybe 4 lbs 10 oz.
Dimensions in inches: Overlall 39-3/4. Lower 15-0 x 4-3/16. Upper 11-0 x 3-1/2.
Saddle center to lower bout end 6-1/2. Fretboard end to saddle center 7-3/4. Nut about 1.81 with 1.557 string spacing.
Heavier bracing than the F30R Std.
Summary: Smaller body, about the same weight, heavier bracing than the F30R Std. Deeper bass, fuller sound, more pronounced overtones and longer sustain than the F-30R. Excels at picking, good for light strumming, not as good for fast/hard strumming. Its sound is captivating.

Last edited:
Reactions: F30

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Greta stuff, thanks Mikey!
One other thing to remember re bracing:
In Westerly they still used sitka but starting in Tacoma (with the exceptions of the MiM DV-4 :nd DV-6) and continued in NH: all bracing was adi regardless of top wood, and adi bracing, having better stiffness than sitka, can be made thinner for the same amount of strength, contributing to top resonance.
Also, don't know NH did it to F30's but for sure F50's and D55's got new tighter top radius.
In fact everything was so re-designed on those that one member (can't recall who, though) whose Tacoma F50 would have qualified for a new neck under warranty got a whole new guitar at one of the LMG's, because they couldn't just replace the neck as a unit, there was that much difference.
So wouldn't surprise me if the "re-engineering" extended to F30's as well.

Last edited:

HeyMikey

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Fascinating stuff Al. Lots still to learn, which is why I love coming here. Hopefully a lot of this kind of thing gets captured in The Guild Guitar Book vol 2...

The more I play it the more I understand that the A50 is a completely different animal from the F30R. I sat down last night about 11:15 to change the strings after everyone went to bed. Strummed a couple chords and the next thing I knew it was 2:00 AM and I hadn't changed the strings. This guitar just pulls you right in. It makes you want to play. Really sucked getting up for a 7:00 AM conference call. BUT IT WAS WORTH IT !!!

tjmangum

Reaction score
Great guitar for the price. Had one I sold to someone here. It was my "OM" until I found a nice Bourgeois OM. You'll enjoy it. Easy on the eyes too!

highwayman

Reaction score
I have an A 50, too, mine is a Custom SB. Mine has the same pickguard. I know that the sound of this model is not held in very esteem by many, but I like it, especially when played with a pickup.

The price you have paid is very good for an A 50. Congratulations!

HeyMikey

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Cool, I’d love to see pics of it! The pickup in mine is toast so I’m going to remove it at some point. What kind does yours have?