Thread: Rockin' With The Oldies

Rockin' With The Oldies

On Wed morning, six of us played and sang with our old friends at one of the Alzheimer's units we visit monthly. As usual, they were very engaged with the singing and clapping, etc. Of course, we sing the songs of their youth - I've Been Workin' On The Railroad - Let Me Call You Sweetheart - You Are My Sunshine - When The Saints Go Marching In - If You're Happy And You Know It - This Land Is Your Land- as well as a bunch of Sunday School songs and old hymns.

When we were leaving, one old gal in a wheelchair grabbed my hand and said "Thank you so much for singing with us - you made us feel just like little kids again!"

To me, that compliment was worth way more than any applause I ever got. These folks get a lot of drugs every day, but none make them feel like little kids again! It's nice to know that we can provide something the drug companies can't bottle or encapsulate; you know they would if they could.
    TODAY is the TOMORROW you spent all day YESTERDAY acting like there was no.

'76 D-25M
    '99 DV-52ABHG (gave to my son)
    '98 DeArmond Starfire Special
    Takamine Acoustic Flying "A"
    Crate CA-125D Acoustic Amp
    Fishman Loudbox Mini Acoustic Amp

Real Thing - Respect !!!
    First good guitar - GUILD Duane Eddy 400 - I was 3rd owner - still regret letting it go 25 years ago - used to have Artist Award and Starfire - no regrets here.
    Present guitars - all bought new - F50R 1975 - F512 1977 - F212CSB 1979 - OM-240CE 2018 - Schecter Startocaster
    Bought secondhand - B30SB fretless - RED Songbird - White Songbird - S-60D - D-125 - Gibson 3/4-size acoustic 1957 - Carmelo Gonzales nylon string - old Levin Lute

Quote Originally Posted by dreadnut View Post
    On Wed morning, six of us played and sang with our old friends at one of the Alzheimer's units we visit monthly. As usual, they were very engaged with the singing and clapping, etc. Of course, we sing the songs of their youth - I've Been Workin' On The Railroad - Let Me Call You Sweetheart - You Are My Sunshine - When The Saints Go Marching In - If You're Happy And You Know It - This Land Is Your Land- as well as a bunch of Sunday School songs and old hymns.

When we were leaving, one old gal in a wheelchair grabbed my hand and said "Thank you so much for singing with us - you made us feel just like little kids again!"

To me, that compliment was worth way more than any applause I ever got. These folks get a lot of drugs every day, but none make them feel like little kids again! It's nice to know that we can provide something the drug companies can't bottle or encapsulate; you know they would if they could.
    You are a very special person. Thank you.
    Rick

If you don't want dog hair on your clothes, stay off the furniture.

'79 Guild D40
    '00 Guild DV52
    '68 Gibson B25
    '04 Seagull M12

Dread, you're a hero..... you truly are!!
    Tom in Vegas

Use the good china. Life itself is the special occasion.

Guild D65s, 1994
    Guild DV72, 1994
    Taylor GC8, 2011
    Breedlove Oregon Concert Rogue 4/12/2016 (The BLUE one)
    Breedlove Myrtlewood Concerto E 07/12/17
    Washburn EA-20 "Festival Series", 1995

Thanks for all the kind comments; outings like this one are what keeps me going back.

Note: You could all do this too, it doesn't take much, the folks in the Alzheimer's units would absolutely love to hear you play and sing for/with them. Actually, they're thrilled when they get any visitors at all. You could start going just once a month like we did; now we play and sing at 18 different facilities each month. Of course, we have about 20 solid volunteers, which means I don't have to attend every session; there is at least one instrumentalist/leader at each gig.
    TODAY is the TOMORROW you spent all day YESTERDAY acting like there was no.

'76 D-25M
    '99 DV-52ABHG (gave to my son)
    '98 DeArmond Starfire Special
    Takamine Acoustic Flying "A"
    Crate CA-125D Acoustic Amp
    Fishman Loudbox Mini Acoustic Amp