Bomb Cyclone = No Power

Antney

Reaction score
Our little coastal town was impacted by a major wind and rain storm last night. Power is out, and may be so for 3-4 days. I might have to purée my white peaches by hand tonight to make our bellini’s...oh the humanity!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Our little coastal town was impacted by a major wind and rain storm last night. Power is out, and may be so for 3-4 days. I might have to purée my white peaches by hand tonight to make our bellini’s...oh the humanity!
See!
If you had one-a these you'd be golden!

IMG-0738.jpg

:smile:

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
See!

IMG-0738.jpg

Have a friend who has the "Generac" brand. Certainly, peace of mind.
Ice storm - several years ago - took our area's electricity for 13 days (my area) and fun first couple days but, after that, made it all the clearer, "The Good Old Days" had some flaws.

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
See!

IMG-0738.jpg

GROT posted that pic before saying there is a diesel generator inside that cabi..... now - is that for real somewhere??? - the VeeFil page page shows no such option . . .:welcoming:

That would be something on certain websites if it was true.

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
GROT posted that pic before saying there is a diesel generator inside that cabi..... now - is that for real somewhere??? - the VeeFil page page shows no such option . . .:welcoming:

That would be something on certain websites if it was true.

Yes there is and it is.
I lifted it from this thread in a little shameless cross-thread pollination:
http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?185693-Special-pic-for-Al-and-Pascal

GJMalcyon ID'd it in post #40 there.
This is a little more nuanced that I thought it would be. That photo is a proof-of-concept idea to extend EV's into the Australian Outback. I dug into it after seeing the "Nullarbor" sticker and remembering that's even beyond the back of nowhere (as our Aussie friends will remind us).

The details are here and it's fascinating.

:friendly_wink:
Edit:
Ah, I see Ralf posted while I was still composing.
To be fair, that one's a custom-built generator/charger not actually manufactured by Veefil, and in fact if all one wants to do is power one's home one doesn't really need the EV charger "front-end".
I posted it primarily for humor value.

Last edited:

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Golfing buddy just installed a Generac. He has natural gas, so his generator should provide 19 KWs, and 22 if he had propane. He's older, and having lived through Hurricane Ivan, he doesn't think he could deal with portable generators.

I'm tempted myself, and they have come down a lot in price.

HeyMikey

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
In the same boat. We might be out until Sat. Got the generator running now. I’m a bit of a prepper so we’re good to go. All my kids friends say they’re coming here for the zombie apocalypse. Plenty of booze and Mountain House to go around...

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Ooh! Mountain House! The spicy mac and cheese is my favorite.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Ooh! Mountain House! The spicy mac and cheese is my favorite.

And this, folks, is why we do not Fear The Veer. I had never heard of Mountain House.

I leave it to others to figure out whether that is because I am not a hiker, camper or survivalist or it is because I routinely feast on Brunswick Stew made from critters I have hunted or trapped.

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I leave it to others to figure out whether that is because I am not a hiker, camper or survivalist or it is because I routinely feast on Brunswick Stew made from critters I have hunted or trapped.
[/QUOTE]
Sounds good to me

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
And this, folks, is why we do not Fear The Veer. I had never heard of Mountain House.

In CA we don't need to rely solely on hunting and trapping anymore since we can now get permits to use roadkill.

Antney

Reaction score
Antney -

What state are you in? Here in Maine, we just had a Nor'easter knock out about 200,000 homes.

hi Charlie, it was the same storm that affected us. actually it wasn’t a nor’easter as the winds came from the w nw. there was little beach erosion if any i am on the south shore of massachusetts. power was restored to my part of town after 15 hours. there are still parts of town without. it amazes me why the electric companies won’t bury the lines in highly treed areas...it can’t possibly be a money thing. my street has buried lines but the surrounding areas are on poles in heavily wooded terrain. at least it isn’t cold yet.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
it amazes me why the electric companies won’t bury the lines in highly treed areas...it can’t possibly be a money thing.

<veer>I've asked similar questions in Virginia. I get lots of answers and excuses but they include: cost; obtaining easements; cost; interference with other underground lines and pipes; cost; and inability to get the utility commission to approve the financing.

Off the record, someone shared that it is seriously cheaper to repair an above ground line than a buried one and in most cases faster. So there is a trade off - there may only be one outage a year but it takes 24 hours to repair, as opposed to four outages but each one is less than two hours. The most recent outage that I experienced was not tree related but involved lightning and a transmission station.

There's more to the cost than just installation. There are a whole lot of bucket trucks that will need to be replaced by backhoes and pole climbers that will need new training and new services to restore landscaping or roadways that are dug up.

</veer>

HeyMikey

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
We got power back yesterday as well, so not as bad as we’d been told. Not too bad and yes, I’m thankful it wasn’t cold and rainy or snowing when the power was out. Mostly I’m thankful this thread didn’t veer into favorite road kill recipes.