Coil Split-Push Pull Posts on Corona Starfire III ?

Mark WW

Reaction score
Been struggling with the Fender HB1 pups in my Corona SF III. The bridge pup is OK it is the neck that lacks clarity or crispness. I would prefer to keep the look of the stock pups so had initially considered having small toggle switches installed for coil splits but then read a thread where Hans suggested push pull pots for this type mod. This would hopefully give me the clarity and chime of a single coil and the flexibility of a humbucker all in one.

Any problems I may encounter? Is this even a realistic option?

Thanks for any advice!

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Absolutely an option and it will cause no harm to the body. I think it’s a great idea.

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm not sure if Corona-era HB-1s have two or four wires, but I think you should be able to find a wiring diagram for that setup at this website -- no affiliation.

bobouz

Reaction score
Absolutely, a great way to go for a bit more variety. I have them on a few of my Gibsons.

Mark WW

Reaction score
I have been stressing over what to do with this guitar. It plays and looks beautiful but I am just not into any major mods (replacing pups is one to me) anymore. I prefer to buy a guitar because I like it just the way it is but that durn neck pup bugs me. This is perfect for what I want to do. Thanks guys for the solution. If this works I can sell my PRS SE Paul's guitar. Not that I want to but I have totally NOT been enjoying owning as many guitars as I do and hollow and semi hollow are my preferred body styles anyway.

bobouz

Reaction score
Try the push-pull pot first. If that doesn't get you into the right territory, at least one pickup swap would be worth a try, imho - especially if the rest of the guitar is truly satisfying. Personally, I'm a complete sucker for the P-90ish tone at the neck position.

Hope it all works out for the best!

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
My problem with pickup swaps is that I gotta have those Guild double-hum covers. It's just not a Guild without those Guildy-looking covers.

Yes, I'm shallow. :worked_till_5am:

Mark WW

Reaction score
My problem with pickup swaps is that I gotta have those Guild double-hum covers. It's just not a Guild without those Guildy-looking covers.

Yes, I'm shallow. :worked_till_5am:

Yes there are two shallow folks here. There are plenty of pups that I could stick in there but the aesthetic then is changed. I know two silly little humps. I played it again today and put it back in the case...sigh.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
If we spent as much time studying science as we have spent studying those humps we'd have colonies on the moon.