Looking for "travel" 6-string A/E

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm not thrilled taking my mint condition F50R on a 700 mile trip up to the Kaniksu forest of Idaho (and that's my only 6-string! How did that happen?). So I'm looking for a good but inexpensive 6-string to haul up there. Preferably with electronics. And a case, of course. (I'll be taking the Martin 12-string too.)

A not-too-old, no-repairs-needed U.S.-made Guild in the $500-$600 range would be great, but I'm realistic, so I'm also looking at Chinese-made Guilds.

I notice many, if not most, of the MIC Guilds do not have truss rod covers on the headstock. So is there a truss rod, but it's accessed through the sound hole?

Jumbo, dread, OM, I guess I'm not so picky about the size. Just something to play that's got pretty good action and sounds decent.... :tiger:

Thanks for any suggestions!

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Richard P. gave (yes gave) a friend of mine a D240E and it sounds mighty fine to me. Of course my friend, Johnny G., could make a cigar box and catgut sound good.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I notice many, if not most, of the MIC Guilds do not have truss rod covers on the headstock. So is there a truss rod, but it's accessed through the sound hole?
Yes, depending on model either single action or dual action, given in the full specs on the Guild webpage under "Neck". You need a 4mm hex key truss rod wrench.
Ralf

Last edited:

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yes, depending on model either single action or dual action, given in the full specs on the Guild webpage under "Neck". You need a 4mm hex key truss rod wrench.

Ah, thanks Ralf. My Martin GPC12PA4 has that soundhole truss rod access. It's not preferred, but I'm not doing a lot of tweaking of truss rods anyway.....

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hello

I am content with my MIC OM-240CE - comes with a "stiff softbag" that is actually really good.
The sound is nothing compared to F50R - neither is price.
I have it now for 20 moons - build quality is ok with exception of fret end dressing.
I adjusted the truss rod on first week after it's arrival from southern Germany.
No other adjustments needed ever since.
I have not experimented with other strings - the sound might be improved.
But it has served the purpose well - I bought it so I do not need to take my valuable guitars to cabin or gigs in shady circumstances.

I urge you to check the Westerly Series if you find a dealer who has those in stock.

p.s. - I have not yet pinpointed your location near Lake Pend Oreille - can you provide another picture for us - perhaps with some tiny landmark in the distance - looking for places in Google Earth is fun.

Reaction score
If you want to stay with a Guild, the Jumbo Junior (if you can find one--Sweetwater says they're discontinued) is a decent instrument--pretty much the same formula as the Taylor GS-Mini: short-scale, roughly 00-size. And the Taylor is a tough little guitar that sounds respectable and comes with a pickup and a better-than-average gig bag. (Though I picked up a Saga foam case for mine.)

Here's the Acoustic Guitar magazine small-guitar overview:

https://acousticguitar.com/mini-guitar-roundup-review/

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Richard P. gave (yes gave) a friend of mine a D240E and it sounds mighty fine to me.

Yeah, those "200" series look pretty darn good, like the F250E, and the prices are exceptionally affordable! (Thanks, too, to Nuuska for his input on the 200 series.)

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
The best travel guitar I've had was a Composite Acoustics Cargo Raw. 22' scale, fits in an overhead bin on a plane, and sounds and plays better than any travel guitar I've tried. Highly recommended!

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
p.s. - I have not yet pinpointed your location near Lake Pend Oreille - can you provide another picture for us - perhaps with some tiny landmark in the distance - looking for places in Google Earth is fun.

Hope this helps, LOL!

trp438.jpg

See PM for more info. :tiger:

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
YESS!!!

I have been within 1/4 mile from day one - but as you explai - I can not find it - only trees - well so !

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
And then there is GEOGUESSR - https://geoguessr.com/ -

It s based on Google street view - you will be somewhere on the Earth - you can move like in street view - you have to find out where you are on this planet - The Kid had it in school - closet I ever got in somewhere in Russia was within 30cm - about one foot. You can spend hours with that. And it is free.

marius

Reaction score
A not-too-old, no-repairs-needed U.S.-made Guild in the $500-$600 range would be great, but I'm realistic, so I'm also looking at Chinese-made Guilds.

At that price point, I really like the Martin D Jr-10E. I got lucky and picked up a new one at 40% off from a local store going out of business and it replaced my GAD F-20

bobouz

Reaction score
Coug, I know you're familiar with the Epiphone line. In 2016, I purchased a new all-mahogany (natural, not sunburst) EL-00 Pro for around $250 on sale. Having just retired, the goal was to have a super low investment guitar to throw in a vehicle while traveling. Solid mahogany top, laminated mahogany sides & back, short-scale neck, 15" lower bout, very compact size overall.

So fwiw, after a few small personalizing tweaks, the darn thing has turned into a little sweetheart of a guitar. Made in Samick's Indonesian factory, it's a well-built, nice sounding, and super cheap acoustic you wouldn't be afraid to leave in the car while on the road.

Taylor Martin Guild

Reaction score
When I was on the hunt for a slightly smaller guitar, I tried out Alvarez, Yamaha, Epiphone, Guild, Ibanez, Taylor, Martin and several brands that I don't remember.
When it was all said and done, the one that did it for me was a Washburn Grand Auditorium.
It has a nice pick up with built in tuner.
I don't like cutaway guitars and this one doesn't have that going on.

The tone and projection is far above it's price of under $400.00. Case extra.

Not only does it sound great, it looks great.

crank

Reaction score
My travel guitar is a cheap, beat up Yamaha that sounds way better than it should for $100. I bring it boating, camping, beaching, it sometimes gets tossed in the car for a ski trip, etc.