Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fishman Loudbox

Fishman Loudbox

I have a Fishman Loudbox Mini that I really like; it's everything I need for gigging and it's 60W, so plenty of punch for small-medium venues.

Only problem is, the brown covering isn't Tolex, it's some kind of spray-on covering I think - it's flaking off, especially under the handle. And I bought a cover with it, so I keep it covered when I'm not using it.

Anyone else have this experience?
    TODAY is the TOMORROW you spent all day YESTERDAY acting like there was no.

'76 D-25M
    '99 DV-52ABHG (gave to my son)
    '98 DeArmond Starfire Special
    Takamine Acoustic Flying "A"
    Crate CA-125D Acoustic Amp
    Fishman Loudbox Mini Acoustic Amp

I have the same Fishman Loudbox Mini, which I have had for @ 4 or 5 years. I have not had any of the issues like you. I also have a cover, which I never use. But, mine never goes anywhere, it just sits in the same spot and seldom moves.

Tom
    Guild Mark VI, Hoboken 1967 Brazilian Rosewood--The Crown Jewel
    Guild Mark V, Hoboken 1964 Maple
    Guild Mark 5 NT, Westerley 1986 East Indian Rosewood
    Guild Mark IV, Hoboken 1966 Pearwood

Guild Mark V, Westerly 1982--Sold to Sandy
    Guild Mark V, Hoboken 1966--Sold to Dan D.
    Guild Mark IV, Hoboken 1971--Sold to Dan D.
    Guild Mark IV, Hoboken 1972--Sold

I have the Loudbox which I love and have the same problem. I keep mine covered as well, but, the cover is snug in a few places and rubs the finish off. Ironic that the finish is damaged by that which is supposed to protect it. Really a very poor covering.
    "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.' Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by guitarslinger View Post
    I have the Loudbox which I love and have the same problem. I keep mine covered as well, but, the cover is snug in a few places and rubs the finish off. Ironic that the finish is damaged by that which is supposed to protect it. Really a very poor covering.
    Maybe that is why I don't have the problem, as I don't use the cover.

Tom
    Guild Mark VI, Hoboken 1967 Brazilian Rosewood--The Crown Jewel
    Guild Mark V, Hoboken 1964 Maple
    Guild Mark 5 NT, Westerley 1986 East Indian Rosewood
    Guild Mark IV, Hoboken 1966 Pearwood

Guild Mark V, Westerly 1982--Sold to Sandy
    Guild Mark V, Hoboken 1966--Sold to Dan D.
    Guild Mark IV, Hoboken 1971--Sold to Dan D.
    Guild Mark IV, Hoboken 1972--Sold

I've had it for a couple years now and just discovered this problem. I though maybe I had touched it with some kind of solvent on my hands, but I found while surfing different forums that several owners have had this same problem.

Annoying, but it is a sweet little combo amp for gigging, lightweight, and it cranks out 60 Watts.

'76 D-25M

Have any of you tried contacting Larry Fishman and reporting the issue and asking if he has any solution, perhaps a spray fixative, that can prevent further deterioration? If no one reports it to him, he might not know...and he might want to change products on any future amps...it's possible that something in the cover is interacting with the finish whatever it is...think of NCL and certain stand coverings, etc.

He's always been nice to chat with at NAMM.

Evidently Fishman knows of the issue and isn't doing anything for owners of these amps. Hopefully they are changing the design to incorporate a higher quality covering.

"LIFETIME LIMITED WARRANTY

Fishman amplification products (“Product”) are warranted to the original consumer purchaser to be free of defects in materials and workmanship under normal use and service for a period of one (1) year from the date of purchase."

OK, what am I not understanding about "Lifetime?"
    Last edited by dreadnut; 10-13-2019 at 11:03 PM.

'76 D-25M

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dreadnut View Post
    Evidently Fishman knows of the issue and isn't doing anything for owners of these amps. Hopefully they are changing the design to incorporate a higher quality covering.

"LIFETIME LIMITED WARRANTY

Fishman amplification products (“Product”) are warranted to the original consumer purchaser to be free of defects in materials and workmanship under normal use and service for a period of one (1) year from the date of purchase."

OK, what am I not understanding about "Lifetime?"
    If your quote is accurate in that "limited lifetime warranty" appears as a heading then any good lawyer is going to win when they claim that the warranty is actually only a year.

I should also note that there is a lot of case law concerning "lifetime warranty". There is ambiguity whether the duration is the lifetime of the original (human) purchaser or the lifetime of the corporation issuing the warranty or even the expected lifetime of the product. In general if the duration is not explicitly spelled out then the courts have tended to side with the shortest definition of 'lifetime'. That said, we have documented cases where Guild has honored the original purchaser's warranty in spite of the absence of any legal requirement to do so (because of corporate sales and bankruptcies).
    Quote Originally Posted by mgod View Post
    What he said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuball48 View Post
    Frono: You are correct----again.

'67 Starfire I Bass (Cherry)
    '71 JS II Bass (Walnut)
    '82 B-50 Acoustic Bass (Natural)
    '87 Pilot (Black)
    '13 Newark Street Starfire Bass (Cherry)
    '16 Betts Bass "Walnut Bottom"

LMG I, II, III

This space available.

My first Mini has the crappy brown covering, and it looks pretty bad after several years of use. I do take it out to play and I suppose that's partly to blame. I've been told the later versions have a more durable covering.

My second Mini, which I found only recently, has a cabinet made of African Mahogany. No covering. I'm a bit more careful with this one. It is pristine and I hope to keep it that way.
    Dave

2003 S-7CE - 2013 DD-6RCE - 2014 Orpheum 12FSHM

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... ID=1018446

Quote Originally Posted by fronobulax View Post
    In general if the duration is not explicitly spelled out then the courts have tended to side with the shortest definition of 'lifetime'.
    Oh that took me a bit by surprise, maybe just 'cause I grew up in an era when we perceived "the courts" as being the champion of the underdog?
    (Typically the consumer, thinking of Nader and the rise of "Consumer's Rights")
    And maybe "surprised" because the decisions you mention are probably largely tort not civil or criminal law which don't get as much attention?
    However I still get it and always understood that the "limitation" was not only in what was covered but also the lifetime of the manufacturer and/or original owner.
    In this case it just occurred to me that perhaps the correct semantic interpretation of the term is that the warranty itself has a "Limited Lifetime":
    One year.
    Last edited by adorshki; 10-14-2019 at 06:16 PM.
    Al
    "Time May Change the Technique of Music But Never Its Mission " - Rachmaninoff
    My 1st Guild: '96 Westerly D25NT "Hally" (10-31-96 stamped on heelblock)
    #2: '01 Westerly F65ce "Blondie"
    #3: '03 Corona D40e Richie Havens "Richie"
    All bought new!