NGD Guild CV-2

stormin1155

Reaction score
This is my second Contemporary Series Guild. I love these guitars! I like the 1-3/4" nut width and neck profile, I love the size and overall looks, and I love the way they sound! I know that there were some problems with the later ones, and they got some bad press from that, but I think these are seriously underrated guitars. This one is a 2007 CV-2 with a spruce top, maple back and sides, and ebony fingerboard and bridge. A friend of mine bought it off ebay a couple years ago, and I told him that if he ever wanted to sell it... It is in absolute immaculate condition, not a scratch on it, and it sounds magnificent. The maple gives it a bit brighter tone than my cedar/rosewood CV-1, but it is still very rich sounding with nice balanced tone. Speaking of maple, the back is one of the nicest I've ever seen! The pictures don't begin to give it justice!

So on to the pictures...
20191011-143705.jpg
20191011-143842.jpg

20191011-143829.jpg
20191011-143733.jpg

Here is my Guild family... '07 GAD25, '06 CV-1, '07 CV-2, '80 G-312
20191011-144356.jpg
20191011-144432.jpg

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Nobody does maple like Guild and you got the Queen of the Ball. Enjoy!!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Congrats Stormin'!
I agree I don't think those get enough love, partly for the bad rep around the neck issues and partly for just being kinda rare in the big picture.
They never had a chance to get any traction.
I count 'em as part of my beloved F40 "family" and while I suspect I couldn't live with the 1-3/4 nut I'd certainly give any example I saw a fair chance!
If bridge pin spacing was right I might be able to live with it.

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Beautiful guitar!! I have always been intrigued with this model, and though I am with Al on the nut width, it would be hard to pass up a maple beauty like that!!!

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Sweet another brother ! Lol
But is there a mix up with the " cedar rosewood CV-1. ? If I mis read for which I apologise. 🙂

stormin1155

Reaction score
Nobody does maple like Guild and you got the Queen of the Ball. Enjoy!!

Not only do they do superb maple, but I think the rosewood on my Guilds is prettier and more interesting than the rosewood on my Martin D-41.

Sweet another brother ! Lol
But is there a mix up with the " cedar rosewood CV-1. ? If I mis read for which I apologise. 🙂

I've been questioned on that before... apparently CV-1s are usually sitka/rosewood?? I'm pretty sure this is cedar though. Here's a closer look. What do you think?
Guild-cv1-2.jpg

HeyMikey

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Congratulations of getting one beautiful guitar. That maple is to die for. Being a fan of smaller bodies and 1-3/4 necks these intrigue me. I’m a bit skittish from the complaints, but you mention the “earlier” ones might be better? Tell me more.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Not only do they do superb maple, but I think the rosewood on my Guilds is prettier and more interesting than the rosewood on my Martin D-41.

I've been questioned on that before... apparently CV-1s are usually sitka/rosewood?? I'm pretty sure this is cedar though. Here's a closer look. What do you think?
Guild-cv1-2.jpg

Looks like typical Guild magnificent sitka silking to me, it has been a source of surprise to more than one seasoned vet.
Although if you're basing it on looking a little redder than sika, that could just be finish aging especially if it got a lot of sun,
The "1" was spec'd as sitka and the "2" was actually "Red Spruce", what we know as "adi":
https://web.archive.org/web/2008091...celists/2008_summer_guild_MSRP_price_list.pdf

What makes it intriguing is that they DID spec "Western Red Cedar" on the CO-1 (F30 body), so who knows if maybe it was a one-off whether intentional or accidental?
Don't know if cedar's known for showing as much silk as sitka can, but for sure, as I said, that's actually par for the course for US Guild sitka tops, even more so from about the late '90's forward.
But boy would I love to be able to A/B those puppies.
Might help me decide if actually want to narrow it down to rosewood only for my "pipedream": An F40/F47 body with a shortscale and 1-11/16 nut .
Already have 'hog and maple in the family...

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Congratulations of getting one beautiful guitar. That maple is to die for. Being a fan of smaller bodies and 1-3/4 necks these intrigue me. I’m a bit skittish from the complaints, but you mention the “earlier” ones might be better?
Apologies for butt-inski but there were only about 3 year's worth as it was and I'd call an '07 "right in the middle". The whole of Tacoma production only encompassed early '05 to sometime in '08, and think the Contemporaries were introduced in '06.
All the '05 lit I've seen (price list and catalog) still shows Corona product even while Tacoma was actually already in production.

Tell me more.
A lot of the bad rep is also associated with the fact that Fender "dumped" a lot of inventory at close of Tacoma, and they hit the market with their s/n's covered with bar code labels and no warranty.
Discussed in agonizing depth here:
http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/sh...ed-Trainwreck-Neck&highlight=train+wreck+neck
:friendly_wink:
Note that while some of the inventory might have been warranty swap returns, some of it may have actually had no problems at all and simply got liquidated through MIRC simply to make the liquidation an easy 1-shot deal for Fender.
Edit: just landed on the very last post when I re-opened that thread and that last post, from the OP, supports Stormin's comment in that the "late liquidated" Contemporarys had a very high probability of having a problem neck.
I'd forgotten it over the years.
Otherwise what I said about MIRC is accurate.

Last edited:

stormin1155

Reaction score
Looks like typical Guild magnificent sitka silking to me, it has been a source of surprise to more than one seasoned vet.
Although if you're basing it on looking a little redder than sika, that could just be finish aging especially if it got a lot of sun,
The "1" was spec'd as sitka and the "2" was actually "Red Spruce", what we know as "adi":
https://web.archive.org/web/2008091...celists/2008_summer_guild_MSRP_price_list.pdf

What makes it intriguing is that they DID spec "Western Red Cedar" on the CO-1 (F30 body), so who knows if maybe it was a one-off whether intentional or accidental?
Don't know if cedar's known for showing as much silk as sitka can, but for sure, as I said, that's actually par for the course for US Guild sitka tops, even more so from about the late '90's forward.
But boy would I love to be able to A/B those puppies.
Might help me decide if actually want to narrow it down to rosewood only for my "pipedream": An F40/F47 body with a shortscale and 1-11/16 nut .
Already have 'hog and maple in the family...

Here's a shot of the inside. You can see that the braces (sitka) are lighter colored than the top. While cedar may not usually show this much silking, it can. Whether it is cedar or spruce really doesn't matter to me, because it sounds fantastic.
20191011-195314.jpg

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Here's a shot of the inside. You can see that the braces (sitka) are lighter colored than the top.
Ahhhhh..but the braces are actually Adi: All Tacoma -built guitars used Adi for bracing regardless of the top wood!
(note on that price list the only ones to spec (scalloped) sitka bracing are the MIM DV-4 and -6 because they're the exceptions )
:friendly_wink:
And for balance I also recall reading that cedar is supposed to be characteristically a little tighter and straighter than sitka, and yes that top does look that way.

While cedar may not usually show this much silking, it can. Whether it is cedar or spruce really doesn't matter to me, because it sounds fantastic.
Right, that's still the bottom line!
:smile:

Last edited:

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'd bet a really nice "silk" spruce top. I just grabbed my CO-1 which is cedar and realized I had never seen cedar with silking. I really like that top.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Well ya got that all sorted . I do want another CV-1 I did like that guitar . 😁

beecee

Reaction score
The back of that guitar should be X rated...wowzeee!!!!!

That really is pretty

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Great picture!!! Hey, you've got a split bridge pin there, my friend. Of no consequence to the sound, but might split on you for your next string change.