Macca playing a Guild

JF-30

Reaction score
soFiuiR.jpg

This is in my Beatles 100 Greatest Songs that Rolling Stone did a few years back.

Brucebubs

Reaction score
Looks like a 'staged' shot - the strings are set up for a right -hander.
Macca may well be a lefty but he strings it as such.

C5kEE5Nh.jpg

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I can't find a photo right now, but Paul would occasionally grab a guitar and play it "upside down". It's something that other lefties I have seen do once in a while, since the vast majority of guitars they might grab are strung righty. This photo looks like he just grabbed the guitar and played it a bit. He's not Jimi, but Hendrix could supposedly play ambidextrously also.

I knew a guy once who played with the low E on the bottom all the time. That's the way he learned because he used to borrow his older brother's guitar. Always looked weird, but he could play!

walrus

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Looks like a 'staged' shot - the strings are set up for a right -hander.
Macca may well be a lefty but he strings it as such.

C5kEE5Nh.jpg

Funny you should chime in, a very old thread ID's the photo as coming from the Beatles '64 Australian tour, but don't know if that's accurate.
In retrospect I'm somewhat surprised a Guild made it to Australia at that early date, if true, but perhaps it belonged to some other group on tour?
Or perhaps they had better international distribution than I ever realized at that time?
I don't think anybody ever thought it was actually his, and suspect it was borrowed and "staged" as you mention, but IIRC he could pick up a righty and play quite well with it flipped over, on occasions when he was borrowing somebody's guitar.
"Leftys" seem to have a knack for that, like Hendrix.
Edit: Ahhh, I see Walrus confirms that memory.
:smile:
(Oh, by the way absolutely Jimi was ambidextrous on guitar. I think the ease of swapping for lefties must stem from the localization of pattern recognition in what for leftys is the dominant right hemisphere. There may be a related coordination ability on that side too, never thought to look into that one)

Last edited:

Brucebubs

Reaction score
Funny you should chime in, a very old thread ID's the photo as coming from the Beatles '64 Australian tour, but don't know if that's accurate.
In retrospect I'm somewhat surprised a Guild made it to Australia at that early date, if true, but perhaps it belonged to some other group on tour?
Or perhaps they had better international distribution than I ever realized at that time?
I don't think anybody ever thought it was actually his, and suspect it was borrowed and "staged" as you mention, but IIRC he could pick up a righty and play quite well with it flipped over, on occasions when he was borrowing somebody's guitar.
"Leftys" seem to have a knack for that, like Hendrix.
Edit: Ahhh, I see Walrus confirms that memory.
:smile:
(Oh, by the way absolutely Jimi was ambidextrous on guitar. I think the ease of swapping for lefties must stem from the localization of pattern recognition in what for leftys is the dominant right hemisphere. There may be a related coordination ability on that side too, never thought to look into that one)

I do know George Harrison was given a Maton solid body guitar that he also used on that 1964 tour here in Australia.

ARi0r4Fl.jpg

But the real strange one is Elvis playing a Maton jumbo acoustic in the 1957 movie 'Jailhouse Rock'!

How did he get that in USA in the early 60's?
I live in Australia and I've never seen that model!

ecdsdbMh.jpg

As you may have guessed the guitar actually belonged to his guitarist Scotty Moore.
It's a 1950's Maton HG100.

Last edited:

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
I'm a natural lefty who plays righty. Sad to say my right hand is pretty useless at fretting, though my left hand can do the strumming & picking stuff quite well. :)

-Dave-