'Wild' looking rosewood

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hello folks,

A couple of days ago I received a question from somebody living in the U.K. regarding his Guild F-50R; basically he was looking for some history related information.

He did send me some photos and while looking at them I had the idea that I had seen the guitar before.

Now I get to see a lot of guitars on a regular basis, but I tend to remember certain grain patterns or figuring in the woods when it’s a little different from the usual straight grain stuff.

F50R_back1.jpg

So when I saw the back of his F-50R it looked somewhat familiar to me. I checked my files for a guitar with that same serial number, but I could not find it. However, after browsing through my database a little longer I finally found the guitar that I had in mind.

Here’s the back of that guitar:

F50R_back2.jpg

As you can see both the back of his guitar and the one that I had in my database were from the same ‘flitch’ and it is pretty obvious they were really close (probably next to each other) at the time that the wood was cut. I have seen quite a few other guitars with wood that was obviously from the same tree, usually from small makers that re-saw their own wood, but the grain pattern on these two backs is really close; something you don’t get to see a lot from large scale makers after the guitars have left the factory.

Hope you will enjoy this little piece of Guild trivia!

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

Last edited:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Wow! That wood is beautiful!

That is really cool to see them both like that...

walrus

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Subtle differences, awesome grain. I'e never had a guitar I'd face the back to the room, but I'd seriously consider it with one of these.

F312

Reaction score
Very nice post, can you tell us the years of both guitars?

Ralph

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Hans:
Think the camera in your mind has a "finger print" type data base. I see very very few differences. And I never want to challenge you in a game of - "find the differences in these two pictures." You are a bird dog on point.

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks, Hans! I'm curious how far apart the SNs for these two guitars were? I assume close enough that they are in the same "batch?" (tho' I suppose that once the backs are cut, they might hang around the factory shelves a while before getting used, and backs from adjacent cuts might not end up in the same batch of instruments)

amnicon

Reaction score
Guild Total
I find that wood grain very beautiful. I wish variations and oddities in the wood were used in guitar making more often.

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
F312 said:
............ can you tell us the years of both guitars?

GardMan said:
I'm curious how far apart the SNs for these two guitars were? I assume close enough that they are in the same "batch?"

They are both from 1975, but not close enough to be from the same batch. Having said that I should add that they could have been in the same batch, cause the way the rough backs were stored made it a random process.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

bobouz

Reaction score
Just beautiful - Thanks for sharing!

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
Very cool photos! Thanks for posting. These guitars remind me of the fabled "Churchdoor" rosewood, classical guitars built by Miguel Rodriguez, Sr. in Spain during the 1960's and 70's. :angel:

DV-72 NT

Reaction score
Really cool for you to run across these two! I also think that grain is beautiful. Thanks for posting Hans!