Guild 240CE Stupid Deal of the Day - Oct. 8

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
OM-240CE on "Stupid Deal of the Day"

Was wondering if anybody else noticed this. Seems like a no brainer for a Westerly Collection.

bobouz

Reaction score
Too bad they went away from Guild's traditional bridge shape on this one.

Obviously not a big deal, but it would have been a nice touch.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Too bad they went away from Guild's traditional bridge shape on this one.
Obviously not a big deal, but it would have been a nice touch.
That IS the original F30 bridge shape (or as close as they're gonna get, at least, if that's what you meant), which the OM240 is derived from.
I think they got the "points" bridges around '69 or '70, going by google image searches.
:friendly_wink:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Today’s Stupid Deal of the day is a Guild OM-240CE for $289. I don’t the comparable US model; I lost my Córdoba to Guild model number conversion chart, but ITs a “mid-sized orchestra-shaped acoustic"
I'm guessing it's the F40

Nope, 'at's one of my pet peeves, there is no F40/16" Grand Auditorium in the line any more, there's not even a slot for it in their model number decoder:
http://guildguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/guild-acoustic-naming-structure.pdf
Their current F40 is actually a 17" full jumbo they shoulda called an F48.
The OM240 is the F30 body with an arched 'hog back, which I don't think ever actually came out of "Guild USA", can't remember for sure now.
And yes points for posting in the right section.
:smile:

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I think the "charcoal burst" is ugly as sin. It looks like they held the top over a candle and moved it around to get that effect.

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I think the "charcoal burst" is ugly as sin. It looks like they held the top over a candle and moved it around to get that effect.

Yup, not my favorite Guild burst either but I don't think it's horrible or anything. Personally, at that price point, aesthetics would not be my major concern. If it plays and sounds well, it's a heck of a good deal IMHO.

bobouz

Reaction score
That IS the original F30 bridge shape (or as close as they're gonna get, at least, if that's what you meant), which the OM240 is derived from.
I think they got the "points" bridges around '69 or '70, going by google image searches.
True enough, Al. I guess in my mind's eye, everything Guild begins with the '70s when I first bought them - so the two point is just stuck in my head as "original." Additionally, I've always thought it's one of most aesthetically pleasing bridge shapes out there!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
True enough, Al. I guess in my mind's eye, everything Guild begins with the '70s when I first bought them - so the two point is just stuck in my head as "original." Additionally, I've always thought it's one of most aesthetically pleasing bridge shapes out there!
I agree. I prefer it.
Interestingly enough Bonnie Raitt has an F30 bridge on one of her F50's!
kpj496-19dohenybonnieraitt3.jpg

Case sold seperately.
"Huh".
Always a "gotcha".

Last edited:

bobouz

Reaction score
Ha - That photo of Bonnie reminds me of an outdoor concert I went to quite a few years ago, in a large open field near Portland. Bonnie was the headliner, along with Lyle Lovett. Between acts & just before Bonnie was to perform, a tour bus in back of the stage caught on fire. The fire dept arrived & put it out, but the bus & a lot of equipment were lost. The show resumed after about an hour delay. With the sun going down, Bonnie was playing one of her big Guilds & commented on how her fingers weren't working yet because they had to warm up.

Indeed, she did eventually warm up, and her playing & performance was stellar - as always.

JF-30

Reaction score
I agree. I prefer it.
Interestingly enough Bonnie Raitt has an F30 bridge on one of her F50's!
kpj496-19dohenybonnieraitt3.jpg

"Huh".
Always a "gotcha".
Just saw her play a few Guild at The Outlaw Music Fest.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Just saw her play a few Guild at The Outlaw Music Fest.
Yup, at least 2 F50's, the other one I know about has the "tuxedo" double 'guards but a regular F50 bridge, and at least one D-100:

bonnie_raitt_2008.jpg
and a sighting of a very young her playing an F30 at a music festival ca early '70's, can't recall if it was hers or borrowed but it's a potential "suspect".
For that matter, for those who may not know and since it's relevant to the OM240's and "roots music" heritage, Mississppi John Hurt favored F30's, or at least one for sure:
24837957.jpg