R.I.P. Ginger

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Probably the best musician (of three great musicians) in Cream, but I'm not sure I'd have wanted to share a pint with him. Hopefully he's at peace now.

JF-30

Reaction score
I just listed to Pressed Rat And Warthog.

If you have never seen the doc about him its good. I think its called Beware Of Mr Baker. He was a right mean bastid. But what a drummer.

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Yeah there was a documentary floating around on the flix about him.. It highlights time spent in Africa.. He was a pisser for sure, but damn was he talented.. I fully agree he was the best musician in the band.

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
This was just published in "The Guardian" on the heels of what can only be described as a very kind obituary. <https://www.theguardian.com/music/2...master-and-monster-who-split-rock-music-apart>

"Sequestered in his South African compound, he seems authentically horrible: rude, obnoxious, arrogant, dismissive, violent. It doesn’t seem to be an act put on for the camera. His children’s relationship with him is clearly strained – on one occasion, his son recounts, they played a gig together that entailed his father giving the 15-year-old a line of cocaine, then absconding with their fee, leaving him stranded. His latest partner stares blankly and silently at the camera when asked whether he’s a good stepfather. Even the man he describes as “his best friend in the world”, Eric Clapton, seems to regard him with a very wary eye: he “doesn’t know him well”, he says, before describing him as “scary, threatening … difficult”. It’s hard not to find yourself wondering aloud why anyone would want to have made a film about Baker, simply because doing so would have meant spending time in his company."[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I don't know that we'll ever see another trio like Cream. When you think about their individual mind-boggling gifts combined into a single group ...

If you listen to the "Live at the Beeb" cuts, you can hear it ...

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
I had my 14 year old son, who is a damn good drummer in his own right, listen to crossroads.. when I was a 16 year old just picking up guitar I was all about listening to Clapton. Now I focus in on each of the individual parts and my god they are all just ripping it up.. doing their own thing and just making magic..

Antney

Reaction score
wow...i was bummed when i read the title to this thread...then i realized it was just Ginger Baker....

thank god we still have the only ginger that matters....

ea9b4731c98cc66ad3ac5f0726562d4d-tina-louise-redheads.jpg

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Probably the best musician (of three great musicians) in Cream,

Tough call for me but reminds me that they were actually originally named "THE Cream", as in "the Cream of the Crop".
creamsunshineG45RWMFLable.jpg

Some of my favorite Cream tunes were his:
"Passing the Time"
"Toad"
"Those Were the Days"
And not to forget "Do What You Like" from Blind Faith
:friendly_wink:

From "the usual source":
"Baker preferred light, thin, fast-rebounding drum sticks (size 7A), usually held using a matched grip.[43] Baker's playing made use of syncopation and ride cymbal patterns characteristic of bebop and other advanced forms of jazz, as well as the frequent application of African rhythms.[44]"
And:
"In a Rolling Stone article written in 2009, Bruce is quoted as saying, "It's a knife-edge thing between me and Ginger. Nowadays, we're happily co-existing in different continents [Bruce, who died in 2014, lived in Britain, while Baker lived in South Africa] ... although I was thinking of asking him to move. He's still a bit too close".[29]
:glee:

This one reached out and grabbed me by the ears a while back, had to go order the CD based on this tune, but warning, it's pretty dark:

51wwHLUf%2BnL._SY450_.jpg

Rumor has it he went to great lengths to get this photo documenting his unfortunate encounter with Roger Daltrey's hair stylist during The Cream's inaugural tour purged from the net, but we all know how pointless that undertaking is:
19370290-0-image-m-2_1570393121543.jpg

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
wow...i was bummed when i read the title to this thread...then i realized it was just Ginger Baker....

thank god we still have the only ginger that matters....

ea9b4731c98cc66ad3ac5f0726562d4d-tina-louise-redheads.jpg

Asi in "Living Next Door To Alice" YouTube "fun"-version - "Ginger, Ginger, who the f€%& is Ginger?"