NAD - Fender Superchamp X2

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I couldn't resist, it's a 15W tube amp, with a burgundy snakeskin tolex covering no less. This thing really howls; it's making me enjoy my electric guitar again. I'll post photos soon.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Those limited edition "FSR Super Champ X2 Cabernet Blues" are nice! (I guess that's the one you got) Congrats!

8387580_800.jpg

Ralf

Mark WW

Reaction score
Nice I owned an X2 head and am finally selling my converted XD head. They were my fav Fenders but alas I am now only playing Vox and Ampegs. Enjoy the ride!

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
1pCBhGd.jpg

h2kk9LM.jpg

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]
wtMlprQ.jpg

[/FONT]

Last edited:

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
Those are great little amps, Dread! Perfect for home and small gigs, especially if you get an extension cab for them. There's a huge fan base of these amps. Have fun!

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Seems to be a rare color. Anyway, this is the first tube amp I've owned and I'm liking it.

Kitarkus

Reaction score
I have its cousin the super champ XD. Best amp for the money ever. Those are just hard to beat

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm beginning to realize the difference between tubes and solid-state; this thing really snarls! I've only had solid-state amps before.

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm beginning to realize the difference between tubes and solid-state; this thing really snarls! I've only had solid-state amps before.
The differences are really apparent when you crank it up loudly, and it starts to distort. Oh man - just the best :C)

gilded

Reaction score
I heard an X2 yesterday. It had some pretty cool modeling effects, which is not to say that I like modeling amps.

I did like the stock Fender setting very much, although the vibrato was so-so.

I think a person could learn a lot from that amp and then move on to more expensive amps if one had the inclination to do so. My buddy bought the amp, too.

I gotta go back to sniffing corks now :)

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
OK, watch out world! The Dreadmeister has a tube amp!

I'm giving my Crate 125D amp to my son to go along with the DV-52; the tweed and sunburst look nice together, and that's more amp than he will ever need for acoustic guitar - it even has a setting on it for a 5,000 seat auditorium. It's got huge depth and presence, but it's heavier than a dead preacher and I can't lug it around any more.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm having lots of fun trying all the different settings on this amp; it's a nice combination of digital effects with tube amplification. The single-coil 2K pickups on my DeArmond Starfire Special really make it snarl. The sustain is insane.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Evidently this is a "Fender Special Run" with a 12" speaker, normally they come with a 10" speaker.

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hello

In the picture I can see only three valves.
It must then be a hybrid - semiconductor preamp with tube poweramp.
Or is there one more input tube somewhere outside of picture?
Having two output tubes - those of you who know - is that section anywhere like old Fender Princeton with two 6V6 tubes?

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
The Super Champ's power section is indeed a pair of 6V6s. The third tube is a 12AX7 phase inverter, while the preamp is solid-state. I like this approach…Vox used it beginning in the mid-'60s as did Music Man in the '70s.

-Dave-

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
The Super Champ's power section is indeed a pair of 6V6s. The third tube is a 12AX7 phase inverter, while the preamp is solid-state. I like this approach…Vox used it beginning in the mid-'60s as did Music Man in the '70s.

-Dave-

But didn't MusicMan have that sh%&/y approach of NOT using the inverter-tube - but instead power-transistors ? And they were not as reliable as inverter-tube ?

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
But didn't MusicMan have that sh%&/y approach of NOT using the inverter-tube - but instead power-transistors ? And they were not as reliable as inverter-tube ?

The early Music Man amps use a 12AX7 phase inverter. Later on they did switch to transistor PIs. Dunno if the later PIs were less reliable, but IMO those amps don't have the same tubey give that the earlier ones do.

-Dave-