Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: F-55(r) How does it play?

F-55(r) How does it play?

In the event that one comes available I am wondering if anyone has experience with these Cordoba made guitars. The reason I'm asking is that I have only heard one so far. It came new right out of the box at a nearby retail store. I was not going to buy one that day so I let a salesman show it and play it for me. He is a professional guitar player and part time salesman.

I'm not here bashing, but when he played it he kept tuning it and making strange faces because it would immediately go out of tune. Additionally he strummed it many different ways because he felt it sounded squelched or "tinney". "That's because of the new strings" I told him.

I have owned 2 Tacoma made F50r's, one was beautiful but the other was difficult to fret and play.

So, if I venture to buy a Cordoba made F55r does anyone have any experience with them?

Thank you, Craig
    Last edited by idealassets; 10-05-2019 at 10:21 PM.

1978 Tama Drums (mahogany)
    2007 Guild D55
    2010 Guild F512
    2011 Rickenbacker 360/12

LMG III

I have the F55e it's everything you'd expect it be and possibly more .
    Beautifully made and sound great .

This is how she sounds .
    Listen to Winter Rain by Ray kohn on #SoundCloud
    https://soundcloud.com/agradeleous234/winter-rain

That is a great sounding instrumental. I corrected my F55e to F55r in my post. Is your guitar rosewood or maple?
    Last edited by idealassets; 10-13-2019 at 07:13 PM.

1978 Tama Drums (mahogany)
    2007 Guild D55
    2010 Guild F512
    2011 Rickenbacker 360/12

LMG III

Quote Originally Posted by idealassets View Post
    That is a great sounding instrumental. I corrected my F55e to F55r (and maybe electric also) in my post. Is your guitar rosewood or maple?
    Rosewood , I sent you a message . 😊

I too have have a rosewood F-55 2018 from Oxnard. I dig it. I got mine about 10 months ago. In the time I have had it I would say a few things about it..

Great dry woody tone.
    Projects nicely as you might expect from a jumbo but not over powering or muddy.
    Very focused actually. My low E is rich.
    I have gigged with it a few times and I always get compliments on it. And it is really pretty. I believe mine has opening to do in the coming years. Like I said not as loud as you might expect from a jumbo. At least mine anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by D30Man View Post
    I too have have a rosewood F-55 2018 from Oxnard. I dig it. I got mine about 10 months ago. In the time I have had it I would say a few things about it..

Great dry woody tone.
    Projects nicely as you might expect from a jumbo but not over powering or muddy.
    Very focused actually. My low E is rich.
    I have gigged with it a few times and I always get compliments on it. And it is really pretty. I believe mine has opening to do in the coming years. Like I said not as loud as you might expect from a jumbo. At least mine anyway.
    I agree on the loudness best I can lol . my first take when I got it I thought it was pretty good when you dug into it ..It doesn't compare to my F212 so I did really have anything base that on but over the months that I had every time I gave a passing strum it sounded soft but in a good way .

Had a F55e, sounded good. As D30Man says, dry woody tone, not super loud but loud enough. Deep low e but focused. Great for alt tunings. The only negative I found was it would easily go out of tune if you would really dig in. My NH D55 is always in tune no matter how hard I play it. I reluctantly sold it cause I had room for only one jumbo in my stable and the SJ200 won that spot in the end. But still, great instrument, I miss it for drop D tuning.
    1965 Guild F30
    2012 Guild D55
    2015 Gibson Sheryl Crow SJ
    2017 Gibson SJ200 SB
    2015 Taylor 214
    2009 Fender Strat
    2015 Epi Les Paul Traditionnal

Nice playing Ray , and the guitar sounds sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by idealassets View Post
    That is a great sounding instrumental. I corrected my F55e to F55r (and maybe electric also) in my post. Is your guitar rosewood or maple?
    Hi Craig not be a nitpicker, but the F55 is now the rosewood model "by definition" and the maple body is the "F55 Maple"

As for volume vs. clarity, think those top-of-the liners have always been braced with an eye toward vocal accompaniment, to be heard very clearly without overwhelming the vocalist.
    Have even seen it mentioned in magazine reviews.
    Interesting article about bracing here, granted it's from late Westerly, but one suspects the philosophy at least has been consistent over the years.
    I keep hearing about folks expecting F50(F55)/D55's from several eras to be louder than they perceive, now think we know "why".
    Bracing, pg. 10 here:
    https://www.gad.net/Blog/wp-content/...er-Gallery.pdf
    Al
    "Time May Change the Technique of Music But Never Its Mission " - Rachmaninoff
    My 1st Guild: '96 Westerly D25NT "Hally" (10-31-96 stamped on heelblock)
    #2: '01 Westerly F65ce "Blondie"
    #3: '03 Corona D40e Richie Havens "Richie"
    All bought new!

Quote Originally Posted by The Retro Rocker View Post
    Nice playing Ray , and the guitar sounds sweet!
    Thanks😊 I think that was the last time I
    played her.☹️