It's Not A Tube Amp but.......

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
So, Sweetwater had another 48 month interest free financing promotion going on At one point I had owned a Roland JC 120 but I sold it (can't remember why). Anyway, I bought another new from Sweetwater. This thing is a beast with a Chorus function that will knock your socks off. It also has a Reverb and Distortion function. I find it strange Roland doesn't include a footswitch and cover when you buy the amp new. But, I bought a 3 function footswitch on Reverb from SwitchDoctor and a Custom made amp cover from an outfit right here in Rochester Hills, Michigan. So, I guess I'm all set to go.

I'll likely only ever use about 20% of the volume capability. It's a bit heavy at just under 70# but it does come with casters which is nice, although I don't plan to likely ever move this amp from my music room.

Anyway, good times.

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
There are a number of solid-state amps I really like, and the Jazz Choruses are among them. Great clean platforms. (The Thomas Organ Voxes are my favs…but they're also complex, failure-prone after a half century now and difficult to service.) In a slightly alternate timeline I'd have a JC-120 as my loud, high-headroom amp instead of the Hi-Tone. One of my fav bands, Slowdive, has used 'em throughout their career.

-Dave-

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I have an old JC-20 - whopping 2x10W with that legendary sound.

Sal

Reaction score
I had my JC77 for decades but swapped it out for a JC90 with it's stereo effects loop. I regret letting the old stock footswitch go with the 77! They are lovely amps but I play my tweed deluxe more often.

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Nice amp Rich! Hard to beat something with lots of clean headroom.

Reaction score
I had one in about 84. Kept it til 2003! Great clean amp, solid state dependability, and chorus for days! Takes pedals well too. Mine didn’t have an effects loop though (first gen).

I’m a fan of modern solid state amps, and I just took delivery of a Boss Katana Artist MK II...best amp I have ever owned!

Love my Quilter, but this Katana has all the Roland effects, tons of headroom, tone for days...and a dedicated acoustic preamp! Like a “Swiss army amp”! It does everything, and does it well! And it sounds GREAT!

Last edited:

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
Cool purchase, Richard!

JCs are the classic solid state amps. I remember reading how Tommy Tedesco said his studio cartage for session gigs always contained a Roland JC-120 and a Fender Twin, but he leaned on the Roland the most because of how quiet it was.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
So, Sweetwater had another 48 month interest free financing promotion going on At one point I had owned a Roland JC 120 but I sold it (can't remember why). Anyway, I bought another new from Sweetwater. This thing is a beast with a Chorus function that will knock your socks off. It also has a Reverb and Distortion function. I find it strange Roland doesn't include a footswitch and cover when you buy the amp new. But, I bought a 3 function footswitch on Reverb from SwitchDoctor and a Custom made amp cover from an outfit right here in Rochester Hills, Michigan. So, I guess I'm all set to go.

I'll likely only ever use about 20% of the volume capability. It's a bit heavy at just under 70# but it does come with casters which is nice, although I don't plan to likely ever move this amp from my music room.

Anyway, good times.

i had one of those amps back in the early 90s. it was a beast to carry but sounded so clear and loud, and yes, the chorus was fantastic. then i got rid of it due to how heavy it was and bought an old Ampeg amp with the vibrato pedal. that was my fave amp...