XLUdSPD.jpg
[/IMG]

Le Odd Dammage'

iLGI0JJ.jpg
[/IMG]

Le pry it off

RoINZpd.jpg
[/IMG]

I was mistaken, TRC IS on correct...definitely a keeper now!

yNZrjhQ.jpg
[/IMG]

Le saddle

jImHW6y.jpg
[/IMG]

Frets

UMYTzLd.jpg
[/IMG]

L'action

Last edited:

beecee

Reaction score
TxTh7GG.jpg
[/IMG]

really....no fret wear!

18wlTMo.jpg
[/IMG]

worst of the NCL crackle.

I posted the numerous pix above and then to my horror I could not get back on!!! I thought I killed the forum again!

Mods: Sorry f I over did it.

beecee

Reaction score
Well...I've played it quite a bit over the past few days. Think I'll be keeping it.

We're getting a nice blast of semi humid weather here in Upstate NY so I'll let her drink it in for a bit....see how everything settles. Got a bit of a belly under the cracked incorrect bridge, (the "tech" at GC didn't think he could put a new bridge on it due to the bellying....never heard such a thing...and it ain't that dramatic).

Bass side action was 4/32.....

I'll clean it up, order a bridge from Monsiuer Moust and drive it over to MacBlane for a going over.

Really liking hog lately....past few years morphed from maple to RW to hog.

Guess I'm liking old beat up guitars that sound good too.

Last edited:

wileypickett

Reaction score
Looks to me like the bridge ends were lifting so the owner decided to just cut them off.

Whoever you talked to at GC may not be confident in their abiities to replace the bridge, but that doesn't mean it can't be done by someone who knows what they're doing! See a real luthier. (I'd never take a guitar to GC for repair work.)

I'd have the bridge replaced myself. It'll not only cover up some of the damage done to the top, but it may help flatten the bellying top and may improve the sound.

beecee

Reaction score
Looks to me like the bridge ends were lifting so the owner decided to just cut them off.

Whoever you talked to at GC may not be confident in their abiities to replace the bridge, but that doesn't mean it can't be done by someone who knows what they're doing! See a real luthier. (I'd never take a guitar to GC for repair work.)

I'd have the bridge replaced myself. It'll not only cover up some of the damage done to the top, but it may help flatten the bellying top and may improve the sound.

Oh I agree, they'll never touch it there..too bad, they used to have a pretty competent older, (my age), gent who did a few set ups for me and replaced a bridge.

I take everything to Robert MacBlane in Preble, NY. Small shop, great work, fair pricing.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Oh, I love that! Congratulations! Lots of well earned mojo!

walrus

kostask

Reaction score
Is it the angle the picture was taken at, or is the bridge lopsided (thinner vertically on the treble side vs. the bass side)? Unless somebody was trying out some Kascha/Kasha bracing concepts. I think the bridge will end up getting replaced anyway, so it may not really matter.

Also, not much saddle showing.

Last edited:

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Is it the angle the picture was taken at, or is the bridge lopsided (thinner vertically on the treble side vs. the bass side)? Unless somebody was trying out some Kascha/Kasha bracing concepts. I think the bridge will end up getting replaced anyway, so it may not really matter.

Also, not much saddle showing.

They still make the bridges like that from what I've seen . Westerly D55 was the same and some of the Gads . I thought it strange as well . Maybe it's just a different way of setting up the action to fretboard radius . Only a guess .

jedzep

Reaction score
Where y'at upstate NY BC? It's a vaaaast area. I'm an hour west of Albany.

The F30 is a sleeper keeper guitar. Top 3 1K acoustic of all time. We're lousy with good luthiers here ya' know.

Guild sells a good Indian Rosewood version of the period correct bridge.

Last edited:

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
That is a lovely shade of rosewood on that board..
Love it when they’re broken in nicely! Congrats sir!

wileypickett

Reaction score
Is it the angle the picture was taken at, or is the bridge lopsided (thinner vertically on the treble side vs. the bass side)?

Many of my Westerly Guild bridges are thicker on the bass side, so this was standard -- at least for a while.

Anyone know why Guild did this? Could it just have been for appearance sake?

Because the bass side of the saddle on any guitar is always a hair taller than the treble side (to compensate for the thicker gauge strings on the bass side), making the bridge thicker means that the saddle appears uniform in height above the bridge.

Just a wild guess!

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Many of my Westerly Guild bridges are thicker on the bass side, so this was standard -- at least for a while.

Because the bass side of the saddle on any guitar is always a hair taller than the treble side (to compensate for the thicker gauge strings on the bass side), making the bridge thicker means that the saddle appears uniform in height above the bridge.

Just a wild guess!

I suspect you're correct.. Thickness = stability for the higher tension..

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score

All 3 of mine are that way, thought it was SOP.
Just a wild guess!
I suspect you're correct.. Thickness = stability for the higher tension..
Tension's really not all that much higher of bass side than treble (77.9 lbs combined on treble side vs 83.7 on bass for GHS Bright Bronze lights: http://www.ghsrep.net/uploads/2/2/2/5/22258814/ghs_acoustic_guitar_string_guide.pdf), but it might be a part of it.
Thought it was due to the 12" fretboard radius and saddle profile should match fretboard radius, as well as allow for the approx. 64th lower action spec on the treble side of the board:
5-6/64th on bass side and 4-5/64ths on treble shown in Guild Gallery #1, late '97.
Means combined bridge/saddle height has to be about a 32nd lower at edge of treble side, so treble side of bridge has to be a bit lower to allow for "good" height all the way across the saddle.
And in fact the saddles themselves are all very slightly lower on that side than the bass side on mine, too.
Also in fact on all of mine there's a slight crown at the center, again I assume because that also follows fretboard radius, it is higher in the center than the sides.
:friendly_wink:

Last edited:

bobouz

Reaction score
Fwiw, on my 1973 F-30R, the height of the original (and rather tall) ebony bridge is identical at both the first and sixth string.

Guild certainly has used the offset bridge as standard issue, but not always.