NGD: SC3 Paloma

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Picked this up last week during the outage. This may be the blackest guitar I've ever seen. The neck is enormously wide at 1 7/8".

Guild-SC3-Paloma-TopFull-SE.jpg

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Ooooo! I'm fine with a 1-7/8" neck. Neck meets body at 15 fret ? What's it sound and play like ?

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Ooooo! I'm fine with a 1-7/8" neck. Neck meets body at 15 fret ? What's it sound and play like ?

Unplugged it sounds kind of dead and lifeless, but I don't think it was intended to be an acoustic instrument at all. Plugged in, it sounds like a nylon-string acoustic. If I had any skill at all I imagine it would sound like this:

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
And one more: Dominic Miller, who co-wrote the song "Shape of my heart" with Sting, played a Guild Paloma since ages as well:

Ralf

Last edited:

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Reminds me of Gibson's Chet Atkins nylon-strung electrified "acoustic." Definitely meant to be plugged in.

-Dave-

Reaction score
Hi there, it's Marco from Italy. I would like to buy a paloma sc3 but I could not find it anywhere on the web. Is there any chance that someone here is selling one? :) Thank you!

Canard

Reaction score
Guild Total
Sting with a blonde:

I have never, ever seen one in person, nor its steel-string brother the Peregrine. However, I have drooled over pictures many times.

The very few people I know who have been lucky enough to play a Paloma (none lucky enough to own one) said that they liked it better than the Gibson Chet Atkins nylon strings, which some of them did own - nothing to do with build quality or playablity but principally because the Paloma is a more modern instrument with the advantage of better electronics and their Gibsons were older. They also liked the body size better, more of an electric guitar with a good nylon string sound, its mimesis of an acoustic classical guitar way more abstract than with the Gibson.

Enjoy the new guitar.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hi there, it's Marco from Italy. I would like to buy a paloma sc3 but I could not find it anywhere on the web. Is there any chance that someone here is selling one? :) Thank you!

Welcome. I decided to move your other post to FS/FT/WTB even though you need a few more posts before you could do that yourself.

Reaction score
Welcome. I decided to move your other post to FS/FT/WTB even though you need a few more posts before you could do that yourself.

Thank you so much! I tried before posting here actually :) ciao

Canard

Reaction score
Guild Total
I wish there were more nylon string options.

There is another of the "G" guitar companies, Godin.

Godin Multiacs are very much worth checking out. They do sound great plugged in, and the larger bodied ones sound not too bad as a quiet acoustics. They are nowhere near as elegant looking as the Paloma, however.

If you do go looking at Multiacs, pay careful attention to 12th fret intonation. If it is out, it is extremely difficult to reset as the individual metal bridge saddles are not adjustable - setting intonation can require major wood work on the bridge.

A page in Russian documenting Multiac bridge work:​

Multiac intonation can be addressed somewhat by string tension choices, however. Some people end up buying individual strings to make up custom sets when they find particular individual strings that intone well.

Last edited:

zulu

Reaction score
Guild Total
There's another pretty well known endorser:

Ralf

I had to learn "Fragile" for an important (to me) gig in the '90's. I never knew where that nylon string tone came from until now! I played it on my Nightbird. The gig was with the Sonoma State University vocal jazz ensemble, and all the songs were arranged with complex multi part vocals.

stingfan24

Reaction score
Guild Total
Hello all,

GAD just wondering, where did you manage to pick up your SC3 Paloma a few years ago?

Thanks!

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hello all,

GAD just wondering, where did you manage to pick up your SC3 Paloma a few years ago?

Thanks!
I’ll have to check my docs when I get back to a real computer, but it was probably Reverb, Ebay, or here. FWIW I don’t think I’ve seen another for sale since.

stingfan24

Reaction score
Guild Total
I’ll have to check my docs when I get back to a real computer, but it was probably Reverb, Ebay, or here. FWIW I don’t think I’ve seen another for sale since.
Thanks for your reply! Yes, you’re right. From what I’ve seen on Reverb, one comes on sale every 3-4 years.