Ngd 1973 f-30

beecee

Reaction score
As some may know I get up early...too early.

I typically browse a few of sites selling guitars including GC.

Well, during the LTG blackout they had a small jumbo misnamed as a 1963 D-4..with replacement non Guild bridge...and priced like a fair condition D-4.:redface-new:

Hans confirmed my suspicion as an F-30 so I ordered it up.

Got to me in 2 days. Body has some scars but there are no cracks, The worst offenses are the gouges on the treble side where some bone head used a shovel to remove old bridge and the odd scratch/gouges at the bottom of the sound board...like some strap or something lived on top of it in it's case.....oh yeah, no case but they really shipped it well. The NCL has soaked in to the point where it's beginning to look like an HR finish.

Funny thing...the fret board and frets show absolutely no wear at all.

Action is more than acceptable but the saddle is low. I did not bother straight edging yet as it has the wrong bridge but Hans gave me the specs on the correct period he has for sale...it's pretty close to the right height but it's cracked..so if I decide to keep it I'll be ordering p from him.

I have a ton of pix but I have to wait till tomorrow to post as I can't do it from here.

How does it sound?

Well I haven't changed the strings yet and they are pretty muddy but this thing has some serious sustain. I like it, nice "dry" hog tone that a 45 year old guitar has.

Not sure I'll change out strings until I get the new bridge. Hans has both EIR and Braz. If this was much cleaner I'd probably jump on the Braz but this puppy will never win any beauty contests.

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Congratulations beecee and from your description, it was an awesome find! Looking forward to the pixs.

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
As some may know I get up early...too early.
I typically browse a few of sites selling guitars including GC.

Hmm. That sounds familiar. Real familiar.... :tiger:

Well, during the LTG blackout they had a small jumbo misnamed as a 1963 D-4..with replacement non Guild bridge...and priced like a fair condition D-4.:redface-new:

Knowledge is power! HNGD!

beecee

Reaction score
Congratulations! Pictures, please!

walrus

Yup will have tomorrow, I can't do it @ home for some reason, very easy at office before I head out. Not LTG issue, mine.

Oh, one other issue and it made me smile: TRC upside down.

And forgive me for not saying it earlier:

THANK YOU Hans!!

bobouz

Reaction score
Yes, I saw that misrepresented GC listing, too. Thankfully, I have my '73 F-30R to keep me from doing more damage to my pocketbook!

In the early days of GC listing their used equipment online, I scored some incredibly good stuff - cheap. Seems they frequently didn't know what they had. Nowadays, those finds don't come along as often, and many items seem rather overpriced.

Edit: Of course, I could say the same thing about Reverb. Seems like a lot of folks have gone nuts with what they think their instruments are worth!

Last edited:

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
They sure have!!! Crazy!!
Congrats BC!!! That is awesome!!!