Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hypothetical Casady amp mimicimg

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Minnesota Flats View Post
    "I remember things that did not happen."

Yeah, me too: like the time Jack let his little sister borrow his Versatone for high school band practice...

I am amused. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by mgod View Post
    What he said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuball48 View Post
    Frono: You are correct----again.

'67 Starfire I Bass (Cherry)
    '71 JS II Bass (Walnut)
    '82 B-50 Acoustic Bass (Natural)
    '87 Pilot (Black)
    '13 Newark Street Starfire Bass (Cherry)
    '16 Betts Bass "Walnut Bottom"

LMG I, II, III

This space available.

"The second key component in the Casady sound was the Versatone Pan-O-Flex, a 35-watt tube amplifier with a unique design. Designed by G. Robert Hall, the amp has two channels, one for bass and one for treble, and the two outputs are mixed into a single 12-inch speaker. “We were recording at Sunset in late ’67,” recalls Casady, “and Carol Kaye was using that [amp] in an adjacent studio. [Producer] Al Schmitt’s brother, Richie, who was the second engineer on a lot of our sessions, told me about the amp. He said, ‘Listen, there’s this little amp that’s got a 12-inch speaker in it, and it sounds gorgeous.’ Of course, Carol was using it at low volume, with a Fender bass and a pick and a whole different approach than I had; I was using my fingers and a hollowbody bass. But I found out that when I cranked that amp up, I could get grit and sustain out of it — really nice, smooth, full harmonic sustain.

"The combination of the modified bass and the unusual amp came together on the fourth Airplane album, Crown of Creation, released in September 1968. On that LP, as Dan Schwartz wrote in a sidebar to the Jackson/Jisi Bass Player interview, in 1993, “Jack is a dominating force. The Guild-overdriving-the-Versatone sound is omnipresent.” Onstage, Casady miked the Versatone and controlled it with a volume pedal, using it like an effect."

Source: https://bassmagazine.com/artists/jac...e-appreciation

"The Versatone was a little 35watt amplifier and it was made by Robert Hall who lived in the valley. I visited him and talked to him about them and I ended buying about four of them and using them later on. I used them in a lot of different ways. I discovered if you turned it up to around 1 o'clock, it would start to overdrive and distort. With a solid body it was just kinda like a buzz saw you know but with the hollow body it would rack up and produce the overtones in a perfect fashion I used later on in the Jefferson Airplane sessions. If you listen to Bless This Pointed Little Head, the live sound that's Versatone sound mixed in. I would take that on stage and mic it separately and then use a foot pedal and I'd bleed that in to the sound in the hallway. And I would bleed that in to my regular big sound on stage and that was what we called the sustain like in The Crown Of Creation. So basically I was using the amp as an effects pedal."

Source: http://www.flyguitars.com/interviews/jackCasadyAmp.php

Ralf
    Last edited by SFIV1967; 10-15-2019 at 04:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fronobulax View Post
    I remember things that did not happen.
    A friend of mine wrote and directed one of the final X-Files episodes about just that. It was called “The Lost Art of Forehead Sweat”.
    13 Guild basses
    3 Guild guitars
    6 Guild bass amps
    3 Guild guitar amps
    I like Guilds.

"The combination of the modified bass and the unusual amp came together on the fourth Airplane album, Crown of Creation, released in September 1968. On that LP, as Dan Schwartz wrote in a sidebar to the Jackson/Jisi Bass Player interview, in 1993, “Jack is a dominating force. The Guild-overdriving-the-Versatone sound is omnipresent.” Onstage, Casady miked the Versatone and controlled it with a volume pedal, using it like an effect."
    [/QUOTE]

I did, in fact, say that.
    13 Guild basses
    3 Guild guitars
    6 Guild bass amps
    3 Guild guitar amps
    I like Guilds.