Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hypothetical Casady amp mimicimg

Hypothetical Casady amp mimicimg

Lazy boy shd research.

But I wonder when I look at later JA vids where the stage is crowded with Versatones, Fender Showman amps and Fender and/or Sunn speaker cabs. Was Jack only playing through the V-tones? Maybe in one photo i saw with like six V-tones on stage.

But other times, it looks like there is only a single Versatone.

Nowadays you'd figure the V-tone was getting miked. But back then?

Back then, was Jack's signal split between a Versatone as the "tweeter" so to speak with the Showmen used for the lower frequency heft?

Im wondering if one could try something like using a splitter with a signal run through a high pass filter into a Versatone and the other side as is it through a lpf into a Showman?
    Last edited by Default; 10-14-2019 at 02:07 PM.

I honestly have never noticed a photo or video where multiple Versatones were present. Granted, I'm usually looking for and staring at the bass itself. Would love to see a photo with the Versatone wall!
    In any case, Casady has explained on a few occasions that the Versatone was mic'd and he had a volume pedal that would control how much of it was blended into the overall live signal, with the purpose of bringing in that awesome drive tone. So I'm thinking it was probably the same bass signal running to both the Versatone and the Showman amps.
    Introducing a crossover or hpf/lpf into the signal path might make it easier to get close to a Casady tone, just in the sense that it adds an extra level of tweakability.
    I love Casady's overdriven tone, but for my own purposes I like my tone to be clean. I've been running a 35 year old Yamaha PB-1 preamp (amazing and I highly recommend this preamp!) with my Alembic SF-2 superfilter in the effects loop, into my Stewart PA-1000 power amp. I do however have an Alembic F-2B stereo tube preamp clone that came to me in semi-working condition. Built with top-quality components, it just needs a few tweaks to get it to proper function. Once that's in order, I'm looking forward to trying a stereo signal from my Starfire into the superfilter (each pickup running into its own side of the stereo superfilter unit) into the stereo tube preamp, into the poweramp... which I think is similar to what you are suggesting -- barring that I will be running stereo preamps into a single power amp, as opposed to a signal sent into two completely separate amps. Anyway, I will report back once that incarnation of the rig is up and running, though I have my doubts that I will prefer it to my Yamaha setup which gives me a classic Fender tone-stack sound with extra flexibility coming from the parametric mid and Q control

Looking forward to hearing reports on your sonic experiments!

I don't have that photo on my work PC. Maybe it on my home PC. Perhaps it was posted to the JA Facebook group? It was black & white of an outdoor stage.

Only see one Versatone here:

Nope. The photo I recall had a bunch of them. Most are like this one though.

Jack used to own 4. Nowadays itís 2. Itís possible, though unlikely, that you saw an image of all of them on stage. But again not too likely.

Strangely enough, I can conjure it up in my mind. And why would I imagine such a thing?

Sadly, I don't think I ever hit a saved button. Or maybe it was one of those pix with rights protection on it.

Hope one of us unearths it at some point.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Face View Post
    Strangely enough, I can conjure it up in my mind. And why would I imagine such a thing?
    I remember things that did not happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by mgod View Post
    What he said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuball48 View Post
    Frono: You are correct----again.

'67 Starfire I Bass (Cherry)
    '71 JS II Bass (Walnut)
    '82 B-50 Acoustic Bass (Natural)
    '87 Pilot (Black)
    '13 Newark Street Starfire Bass (Cherry)
    '16 Betts Bass "Walnut Bottom"

LMG I, II, III

This space available.

"I remember things that did not happen."

Yeah, me too: like the time Jack let his little sister borrow his Versatone for high school band practice...

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Face View Post

Sadly, I don't think I ever hit a saved button. Or maybe it was one of those pix with rights protection on it.

Hope one of us unearths it at some point.
    "I believe you".

I know the feeling, especially when it's something that has a deep personal connection for you, in spite of what I now realize is the very real phenomenon of memory changing, and even "fabricated memory".
    "Important" stuff stays pretty accurate in terms of the image itself although the remembered context of where it was seen might change, for example.
    If it was on the 'net, might be forever on some sight that's defunct, or perhaps if in a book that you remember as an internet photo, now.
    But I believe you, even went and did a little digging myself, but no luck.
    So far.

Quote Originally Posted by Minnesota Flats View Post
    "I remember things that did not happen."

Yeah, me too: like the time Jack let his little sister borrow his Versatone for high school band practice...

Masterful.
    Even lent her his glasses.

Last edited by adorshki; 10-14-2019 at 05:53 PM.
    Al
    "Time May Change the Technique of Music But Never Its Mission " - Rachmaninoff
    My 1st Guild: '96 Westerly D25NT "Hally" (10-31-96 stamped on heelblock)
    #2: '01 Westerly F65ce "Blondie"
    #3: '03 Corona D40e Richie Havens "Richie"
    All bought new!