Prince and the Revolutionary axe

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
One of my fav guitar solos of all time for sure.. purple rain.. nothing remotely conventional about it.. greatness.. thanks for sharing.

JF-30

Reaction score
Seen Zappa 3 times and l am a huge FZ fan (I just saw Dweezil the other night). Nothing I have ever heard by the purple guy (and I have all Prince's stuff form Dirty Mind to Sign O The Times) made me say to myself, he is like a 5 foot 3, FZ.

Last edited:

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
There's a podcast episode out there (Fretboard Journal, I think) from shortly after Prince died with one of the people involved in making his cloud guitars. It's a good listen.

Prince stands on his own as a guitarist, I think. There's some Hendrix in there, some Eddie Hazel, maybe some Zappa…but mainly it's just him. No need to rank…just enjoy.

-Dave-

JF-30

Reaction score
There's a podcast episode out there (Fretboard Journal, I think) from shortly after Prince died with one of the people involved in making his cloud guitars. It's a good listen.

Prince stands on his own as a guitarist, I think. There's some Hendrix in there, some Eddie Hazel, maybe some Zappa…but mainly it's just him. No need to rank…just enjoy.

-Dave-

There is a lot of his stuff that makes me go WTF Prince, but there is stuff he did that is killer. The problem Prince had was after a certain point he had no one to tell him NO.

He is a talented guy no doubt.

Sal

Reaction score
I saw Prince a bit early on. I saw the First Avenue show when he first played Purple Rain live and it was that performance that was filmed for the movie. His live performances were truly incredible and as great as he was and as big as he became he never forgot his hometown.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Prince was an absolutely monster player that a lot of people dismissed because they didn't like the rest of his schtick.

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
There is a lot of his stuff that makes me go WTF Prince, but there is stuff he did that is killer. The problem Prince had was after a certain point he had no one to tell him NO.

He is a talented guy no doubt.

That's a downside of success: you can start believing your own hype, which leads to surrounding yourself with other people who believe it and avoiding people who don't. Puts a damper on creative friction.

-Dave-