Funky Guitar Smell

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
What is more likely to be responsible for a funky guitar smell? The case or the guitar? If it's the case, then mitigating the case smell should cure the guitar smell? Or not?

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm guessing the case, as it is more porous than the guitar.

JF-30

Reaction score
What guitar? What kind of smell? Is it Old? New?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
What is more likely to be responsible for a funky guitar smell? The case or the guitar?
I don't think you can generalize, it would depend on so many unknowables like "Was something spilled inside the case or even the guitar?"
If it's the case, then mitigating the case smell should cure the guitar smell? Or not?

I don't think that's a guarantee, either, because it's possible for some types of odors to have permeated the wood inside the instrument and even the finish, which is not impermeable.
(I'm assuming you're asking about a Guild flat-top with NCL finish)
One thing I can caution against is the use of Febreze to deodorize a case, after member Qvart related an unfortunate experience when he returned his D35 to a treated case: he later discovered the imprint of the case fabric in the guitar's finish.
Apparently something in the Febreze was capable of softening the NCL.
Best advice I've seen over the years involved a lot of aeration and even coffee grounds/baking soda to help absorb the odors.
Also UV (sunshine) helps dissipate some odors.
I'd give the guitar at least 24 hours in your guitar room and leave the case open outside with sun exposure for the same period and then compare which one has stronger odor afterwards, that might help you narrow it down.
You want to take advantage of the principle of osmosis: the tendency of (the odor-causing) molecules to migrate from areas of high concentration (case/guitar) to areas of low/no concentration: fresh circulating air.
This is also why something spilled inside the case (spoiled beer odor for example?) can migrate to the guitar, and vice-versa.
Tobacco odor for example would be more likely to have permeated the guitar, I'd think, assuming the case wasn't also open and exposed while the guitar was being played.
By the same token that's one that's particularly tough to get out of NCL, I suspect the natural aging/outgassing of the NCL would be the only "real" cure after sufficient time, by carrying residual tobacco tars away with the evaporating solvents.
Similar issue with the inside of the instrument, but even tougher because no solvents to carry away tars...
Sincerely, good luck!
Oh yeah re some other responses:
What kind of case could be relevant because we've seen cases from late '70's/early '80s when urethane padding was the new thing, but it's degrading now and giving off odors (kinda like camphor balls) and even damaging finishes.

Last edited:

bobouz

Reaction score
Absolutely suspect the case!

I've switched out many of my wooden cases for thermoplastic SKB types. They've consistently been a cure-all for smells, mildew, & bugs.

Wooden cases can harbor all kinds of evil - and the older they are, the more evil they accumulate!

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
I picked up a Gibson Barney Kessel, 1963, earlier this year. The regular version, no fancy "note" headstock inlay. It features, among some very cool other things, a faint tobacco-y aroma. (I knew this when I bought it.) I've kept it out of its case since mid-spring, putting the case (left fully open) in storage. The aroma seems to have decreased some, but since it's more "cherry pipe" than "stale cigarette" it doesn't bother me regardless.

(It's a fun guitar to play. Surprisingly loud acoustically for a thinner body double-cut archtop. Got it strung with 11s, which I think do a decent job of driving the top. Pickups are amazing, and fairly hot too: 7.7 & 8.4K respectively.)

-Dave-

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I agree with Al; in fact I'd try to keep the guitar out of the case and in a stand for a week, then give the guitar the 'ol sniff test.

Good luck. Which guitar? You have a bunch of sweethearts, springing for a new case would probably be a prudent investment if the case turns out to be the culprit.

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
It's a '65 D-50 braz. which I love....what a sound! Anyway, I've been exposing the case to the sun and filling the case with baking soda. I'm letting the guitar sit on a NCL friendly stand (Hercules) out in my man cave. The wife hasn't noticed that I've acquired a "new" item! Phew!

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Rich, I agree with sunlight and fresh outside air for the case, and keeping the guitar out on a stand somewhere that air circulates a bit inside. That should help. Time will tell.... good luck!!

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
And if you have a screen porch or something where you could put the guitar in some fresh air (but not in the direct sun) that would help, too.

walrus

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
It's a '65 D-50 braz. which I love....what a sound! Anyway, I've been exposing the case to the sun and filling the case with baking soda. I'm letting the guitar sit on a NCL friendly stand (Hercules) out in my man cave. The wife hasn't noticed that I've acquired a "new" item! Phew!

I assume it's got an original or period correct case you'd like to retain if possible?
Along the lines of Dreadnut and Bobouz's earlier comments I would actually tend to suspect the case more than the guitar since it's got so much more highly permeable surface area and areas that could harbor "stuff".
Heck, if you've ever smelled simple wet old plywood (which is basically what wood cases are made of) sometimes it's pretty disgusting.
The degenerating glue has something to do with it, I think.
But if it appears in good shape then hopefully it'll respond to aeration, but not aware of any practical "sterilization" methods that'd ensure no return of odors if it's something like a mold.
I think anything that'd take out molds would also damage the case.
As for aeration I'm thinking minimum 3 months for "good" results, basing that on the amount of time it took the finish on my D25 to recover from sweat damage on the top, hardening up enough again to not be slightly tacky to the touch.
Actually gave it a full year before testing polish on it again.
Outgassing's sl-o-o-ow and continuous over the life of the guitar, but it also occurs to me a '65 D50's probably given up most of its solvents by now....

geoguy

Reaction score
Ozium spray can help with funky guitar-case smells. I've found small cans of it at auto-parts stores.

Sometimes it is best to just start over with a new case, depending upon what is causing the stink.

I've had good luck reducing (but not eliminating) smoke odor from acoustic guitars. A few cleanings with naptha seems to help quite a bit, along with polishing and exposure to fresh air.

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Ozium spray can help with funky guitar-case smells. I've found small cans of it at auto-parts stores.

Sometimes it is best to just start over with a new case, depending upon what is causing the stink.

I've had good luck reducing (but not eliminating) smoke odor from acoustic guitars. A few cleanings with naptha seems to help quite a bit, along with polishing and exposure to fresh air.

Plus one for ozium… That surf is pretty powerful and a little bit goes a long way.

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Oo-oo that smell...

The smell of old guitar and case is pleasant odor full of memories for me, unlike toxic smells like Febreeze.

Unless the case is been under water at some point, mold is usually not a problem.

Airing is a great way, "denaturing". The sun is also a powerful antibacterial.

My F30 "Aragorn" has such a pronounced vintage guitar smell that a local legend friend was over playing it on the back porch once evening, he kept sniffing the soundhole, hollering and shouting at the guitar things like "Yeah, Baby, where have you been, tell me ALL your stories" ;)

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
I've been exposing the case to direct sun for about 8 days now, along with sprinkled baking soda. It's improving, no doubt. More time in the sun will hopefully tame the odor. However, the guitar either has picked up the odor (perfume ?) or given it to the case. So, I'm leery about putting it back in the case, when I think the case has given up it's odor. Any advice? I don't want the guitar to "reinfect" the case.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Last edited:

bobouz

Reaction score
You want to keep the guitar, right? So again, get rid of the case - it’s a minimal investment.

At least your guitar might then stand a fighting chance, and I highly recommend a SKB plastic-type rather than another wooden case. The goal to change the equation significantly!

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
You want to keep the guitar, right? So again, get rid of the case - it’s a minimal investment.

At least your guitar might then stand a fighting chance, and I highly recommend a SKB plastic-type rather than another wooden case. The goal to change the equation significantly!

That might be the easiest and most sure-fire way to address it but we're talking about a vintage Braz. RW guitar here. There are many buyers and collectors who would likely very much prefer an original case to a new replacement case. Some might even use that as a bargaining chip to reduce the price if Rich ever decides to sell.

Personally, I've never gotten to hung up on whether the case is original or not. I'm just saying there are those that don't at all think that way.