Saw The Outlaw Music Fest Last Night

JF-30

Reaction score
Went to the Outlaw Music Fest last night. There was 2 Guild sighting from the same performer. We missed Pure Bison. Caught the last 5 songs of Lukas Nelson And The Promise Of The Real. They were good. Next was Allison Krauss. She has an amazing voice, but she bored the hell out of me and nothing she did was outlaw. Next the Avett Brothers. Second time seeing them. They were great. Next Bonnie Raitt. First saw her over 30 years ago. She played 2 Guilds. One was a F-55 I think and the other was the same shape with 2 pickguards. Bonnie was great and when she did Angel From Montgomery, Allison came out and sang with her. Next was Willie. This was my 3rd time. He was okay. The first time I saw him he was amazing the last 2 were lackluster.

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Raitt is a big Guild player. Very cool! Great lineup JF! Krauss never did anything for me.. too high pitch for my personal taste. Willie as dreadnut put it in another post just recites lyrics these days. His band is fun and his guitar picking is still on point. I would have probably been most excited to see the Avett Brothers in that whole lineup..

crank

Reaction score
We saw Outlaw Country Fest back in June with some different bands. Allison Krauss was there and while she does have a great voice her set was very sleepy, kind of boring and also too long. I saw her maybe 6 years ago when she had Jerry Douglas playing with the band and there was a LOT more energy.

Not an Avett Bros. fan though they do have great harmonies.

Thought Willie still sang great and played really well too... especially given his age. He did not play for long though; definitely under an hour. I have never seen him before though. He must have really been something special in his prime.

JF-30

Reaction score
We saw Outlaw Country Fest back in June with some different bands. Allison Krauss was there and while she does have a great voice her set was very sleepy, kind of boring and also too long. I saw her maybe 6 years ago when she had Jerry Douglas playing with the band and there was a LOT more energy.

Not an Avett Bros. fan though they do have great harmonies.

Thought Willie still sang great and played really well too... especially given his age. He did not play for long though; definitely under an hour. I have never seen him before though. He must have really been something special in his prime.

Everyone at the Fest got an hour and a half per set. The acts come and go. The Avetts were only at the date I went too. Gov't Mule was there the night before.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
So Willie is back? He cancelled his concert here last month due to "breathing problems."

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Willie would probably be long gone by now if he'd smoked cigarettes...my opinion, being a former smoker.

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
What constitutes outlaw ?

zdLlocI.gif

giphy.gif

OK seriously, I think it dates back to:
61nsY8lKNzL._SY355_.jpg

"Ghost Riders in the Sky" set a new precedent back in the '80's:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjkJqHUYr5w
(One of Johnny's D60's is present here)
Kinda like JF30 said:.
Those super sweet pedal steel licks used be virtually a defining element of country when I was a kid and it's actually pretty rare in modern country these days.
Thinking about it, might even go back to Kris Kristofferson's "Sunday Morning Coming Down" which was 180 degrees on the other side of the spectrum from tunes like Tammy Wynette's "Stand by Your Man".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Se2Cg3ArHJ8\
And even though I couldn't stand the pedal steel style of country as a kid, that wasn't meant as a slam on Tammy Wynette.
These days I grit my teeth at the "commercial country rock" that seems to trace its origins to Billy Ray Cyrus' "They Call the Thing a Rodeo"...and Lynrd Skynrd...

Last edited:

bobouz

Reaction score
No matter the genre, it's more about the music for me - with vocals frequently getting in the way of the music.

Country vocals & lyrics are typically the most grating. Occasional exception - tinged with blues/jazz & accompanied by excellent musicianship. Bob Wills, Bill Monroe, some Waylon, some rockabilly (Carl Perkins) = good stuff.

Oh well, we all like what we like.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
"Outlaw Women" by Hank Jr. describes it pretty well too.

Then there's Willie, Waylon, Merle, Jerry Jeff, Kris, David Alan Coe, ...

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
"Outlaw Women" by Hank Jr. describes it pretty well too.

Then there's Willie, Waylon, Merle, Jerry Jeff, Kris, David Alan Coe, ...

Dread you listed the major players of the early outlaw movement for sure.. If we're getting technical Hank I is the first.. Getting tossed from the opry and all and really just kind of being different from the pack.. However the outlaw movement as we know it really starts with those characters.. Though I believe DAC kind of attached himself to this movement.. Just my opinion.. Whereas people like Billy Joe Shaver and Guy Clark are cats that contributed significantly to the lyrical validity of this movement and they don't always get the mention they should.. Same goes for TVZ.. Jerry Jeff was my fav of these when I was in high school, but these days I tend to lean more to the unsung heroes of the movement like Billy Joe..

jedzep

Reaction score
As Bob said, we all like what we like, but there's a passing of the torch happening I'm most grateful for. The so-called 'Americana' genre includes country blues, old mountain music, newer current themed songwriters like Jason Isbell and Lucinda Williams, and The Old 97's, while still including The Band and Neil Young type stuff.

The transition is a saving grace to me. I'm happy with Willie, but loathe the Waylon, Cash, Hag stuff as much as the mainstream pop country. In a couple years I'll be 70, so long time music freak still happy to hear new blood come around.

Sirius and Amazon have streaming Americana channels that have duly dumped those tired old songs, keeping them in a more trad country channel, and letting gutsy songwriters like RW Hubbard put a little raw back in to the genre.

Last edited:

JF-30

Reaction score
As Bob said, we all like what we like, but there's a passing of the torch happening I'm most grateful for. The so-called 'Americana' genre includes country blues, old mountain music, newer current themed songwriters like Jason Isbell and Lucinda Williams, and The Old 97's, while still including The Band and Neil Young type stuff.

The transition is a saving grace to me. I'm happy with Willie, but loathe the Waylon, Cash, Hag stuff as much as the mainstream pop country. In a couple years I'll be 70, so long time music freak still happy to hear new blood come around.

Sirius and Amazon have streaming Americana channels that have duly dumped those tired old songs, keeping them in a more trad country channel, and letting gutsy songwriters like RW Hubbard put a little raw back in to the genre.

Good music is good music no mater what era, genre or performer.

bobouz

Reaction score

The version of Baby Please Don't Go by Them (w Van Morrison) was just totally hot to my junior high school ears in '64-'65 (can't recall the exact release date).

Just listened to it again, and it's still impossible to hear that song & sit still!

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Lately I'm listening to The Wood Bros., The Avett Bros, Chris Stapleton, Town Mountain, Chris Smither, Dan Reeder, Guy Davis, Old Crow Medicine Show, Todd Snider, Andrew Duhon, Tim Sparks, Terry Robb, The Lonesome Sisters, The Dry Branch Fire Squad, Roy Schneider, Dave Stamey, Stephen Bennet, James Alan Shelton; they all come up on my Pandora station. Good music is back, IMHO, and I believe the resurgence really began with "O Brother Where Art Thou?"

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Dread you could be right about that theory though a lot of the cats you list have been writing / singing killer songs long before that movie came out.. I think it might have had more of an impact on the appreciation of older music styles.. Bluegrass etc, Blues etc.. I definitely think it helped heavily the emergence of "Americana" as a genre.. I prefer to call it "y'allternative"..

Todd Snider is one of my all time favs.. I have seen him quite a few times and just dig his writing style and his performances.. Best Snider show I saw was back in 2008 I saw him play at the Troubador in LA. Killer show. He had a full band and they tore it up..