One Thing Leads to Another

ladytexan

Reaction score
You know how one thing leads to another when searching on the internet? Well, this post is one of those. I started by searching for the lyrics to the Civil War-era ballad, embraced by both Confederate and Union troups, Lorena. (Please let’s focus on Guild and the ballad and nothing else). :courage: This led to the YT performance of John Hartford and group….which led to the group guitarist who plays a Guild. Enjoy, dear Guild lovers, this is a timeless performance that embraces this lovely ballad. Do all musical roads (pre-1990) lead to Guild? I, most biasedly, believe so. Lorena

ladytexan

Reaction score
Reminds me of how the soldiers used to pin information on their uniforms before they went into battle, so their bodies could be identified. My kids' great, great grandfather was in the 138th PA volunteers. Mine was in the 37th N.C. company A. https://www.geni.com/projects/37th-Regiment-North-Carolina-Infantry-CSA/26405
Gosh, Steve, this is astounding family history. Thanks so much for letting us now. Who knew? Right? Still lovin', John Hartford's rendition of "Lorena". Is that a F47? Gosh, I wish I had one circa 1970 Even the new F47s are AMAZING!!!!!!! Steve, didn't you just trade-back a F47 to Bill? Such a sweet guitar.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Good to see your post, my dear!! It's been a while!! I'm all turned off and muted for the night, but I'll listen in the morning. I promise!! :encouragement:

12 string

Reaction score
Guild Total
It's so nice to see you again!!

' Strang

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Great clip! The images added make the song really come alive...

walrus

F312

Reaction score
I guess not too much to smile about in those days of the war. Thanks for sharing Toni, hope you're doing good.

Ralph

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I guess not too much to smile about in those days of the war. Thanks for sharing Toni, hope you're doing good.

Ralph

You also had to hold the same expression for up to twenty seconds without moving. One flinch and the photo blurred. We have one letter from that time where the soldier wrote that photos in the Culpeper station camp were "only a dollar". According to his pay records, he got 9 dollars a month...

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
You also had to hold the same expression for up to twenty seconds without moving. One flinch and the photo blurred. We have one letter from that time where the soldier wrote that photos in the Culpeper station camp were "only a dollar". According to his pay records, he got 9 dollars a month...

Next time you visit we'll gladly take your picture at the Culpeper Station. We won't even charge you a dollar - you can just get the next round of beer.

Same goes for you, LadyT except we can choose wineries if you'd prefer :)

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I’m sitting in the Houston airport reading this. Somehow that feels relevant. Also I need more coffee.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Is that a F47? Gosh, I wish I had one circa 1970 Even the new F47s are AMAZING!!!!!!!

Fretboard inlays give it away as one of the Gruhn GF designs ca 1987, believe the G-shield headstock narrows it down to a GF-60R (rosewood body), as body looks too dark for the maple version.
But it would be that era's version of an F47R (F47's never got G-shields, either.)

Last edited: