HOW Do You View the Forum?

Charlie Bernstein

Reaction score
Mobile device or "desktop"?

Why I ask:
Over the last couple of years in particular I've seen more comments about the limitations of using mobile devises to view and post here.
Being absolutely clueless about mobile interfaces I've only gradually put 2 and 2 together that it may be problematic to view links, or to open 2 "sessions" at once, or even to simply read long posts in the smaller viewing area allowed by mobile devices.
(Not that anybody here's prone to making long posts..... :stupid:)
It seems more common for members to reply to threads without reading all the posts, is it because your device itself makes it cumbersome?
I've been trying to put myself in their shoes; shrugging off stuff that contravenes older rules of "courtesy", and wondering if the device itself is altering the way we interact with one another, not just here but in any number of "places", including real person-to-person interactions....
Have fun with this piece of bait, I'm about to take my usual weekend off, and hope you don't have to put up with any downtime!
:tranquillity:
I use an iMac.

I didn't need to read all the replies above mine to answer your question. So I didn't. What for? And why was it rude not to? There are often several pages of replies already posted before I answer a post. It would take a long time to go through all of them. I skim them when there's a reason to find out what others said. But there isn't always.

And when I start a thread, I fully expect to receive repeat answers. In fact, sometimes it's like a poll: if one person likes silk-on-steel strings and seventeen like bronze wound, that tells me something.

BUT, sometimes I do wish folks had done a little skimming before replying. So I get why it can be annoying. For example, if you have a few minutes, look at this three-pager:

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/how-many-ohms-is-my-210-cabinet.957901/

I mean, talk about flogging a dead horse till it whinnies for mercy! But I accept some responsibility, because I anwered a lot more of the comments than necessary.

Okay. Now I'm going to hit the Reply button. THEN I'm going to look at what others said. . . .

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I didn't need to read all the replies above mine to answer your question. So I didn't. What for? And why was it rude not to?

As a Moderator I encourage people to read every post before replying. I do this for two reasons - first some people get frustrated when someone else posts without acknowledging their opinion or prior post. When this happens there is the possibility that the thread will degenerate into personal attacks. I'd rather not have that happen. Second, when a thread is already on the borderline of being closed or deleted (often because of veers into the political) calms down, it is often restarted because someone fails to read the thread, posts something and ends up "starting the fire" again.

So I encourage "read all" even in cases like this particular thread where there are no significant veers and most people have elected to respond to the OP's question without veers or commentary.

F312

Reaction score
As a Moderator I encourage people to read every post before replying. I do this for two reasons - first some people get frustrated when someone else posts without acknowledging their opinion or prior post. When this happens there is the possibility that the thread will degenerate into personal attacks. I'd rather not have that happen. Second, when a thread is already on the borderline of being closed or deleted (often because of veers into the political) calms down, it is often restarted because someone fails to read the thread, posts something and ends up "starting the fire" again.

So I encourage "read all" even in cases like this particular thread where there are no significant veers and most people have elected to respond to the OP's question without veers or commentary.

I click on "The Song Title Game" and you want me to what... :miserable:

Ralph

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Reading every post when coming in late to a thread goes against human nature.

I tend to have read every post because I spend way too much time here. Except for the song title thread because I think it’s dumb. That’s more “GAD Nature” though. ;)

mike1100

Reaction score
30% on a phone
70% on a laptop
90% with a beer in my hand
100% with a grain of salt

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Reading every post when coming in late to a thread goes against human nature.

I tend to have read every post because I spend way too much time here. Except for the song title thread because I think it’s dumb. That’s more “GAD Nature” though. ;)
HAAAAAA HAAAAAA!!! This is TRUE!!! Song title thread needs to be closed because after after over 200 and some pages (set at 20 posts per page) there hasn't been anything new or original in ages, so it's pointless and just recycling $hit. I mean, if every time a song title was mentioned it was withdrawn from circulation and unable to be used, but it's not. But, I'll admit to occasionally having a strong initial feeling and response to something and not reading EVERY response and posting. But then I go back and read and sometimes edit my post.

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Song title thread needs to be closed because after over 200 and some pages (set at 20 posts per page) there hasn't been anything new or original in ages, so it's pointless and just recycling $hit. I mean, if every time a song title was mentioned it was withdrawn from circulation and unable to be used, but it's not. .

That was never in the rules.
And Nuuska posted something entirely new today.
So far only 61 songs have been mentioned more than once; but of that 61, 38 of 'em account for over 90% of the repeats, following a strikingly similar progression every g---amn time.
I kept track.

30% on a phone
70% on a laptop
90% with a beer in my hand
100% with a grain of salt

Possible best answer yet.
I'm on a low sodium diet now though and only post from my work desktop so always sober; but rarely constrained.......
:glee:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
That was never in the rules.
And Nuuska posted something entirely new today.
So far only 61 songs have been mentioned more than once; but of that 61, 38 of 'em account for over 90% of the repeats, following a strikingly similar progression every g---amn time.
I kept track.

Nice, Al! I was going to keep track, but lost the energy! I just try my best not to repeat myself.

Repeating a song is bound to happen, only 61 repeats is actually pretty good.

I'm not sure I would call the Song Title thread "dumb", particularly since I started it. :sentimental:

There are plenty of threads I don't follow, but none of them are "dumb", I just don't have an interest in them. But I'm sure others do. I enjoy the Song Title thread for two reasons - I like to try to think of a song that matches ( a battle of wits), and more importantly, I have listened to some of the songs posted that I did not know and found some of them to be great!

If you don't like the thread, it's easy to not get involved...

walrus

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Nice, Al! I was going to keep track, but lost the energy! I just try my best not to repeat myself.

Actually, in the spirit of my hero John Lennon, I just made those numbers up on the spur of the moment because I liked the way they sounded.
Of such acts are great internet myths born.
But I did kinda suspect the delivery might give it away.
:smile:

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total

I'm not sure I would call the Song Title thread "dumb", particularly since I started it. :sentimental:

There are plenty of threads I don't follow, but none of them are "dumb", I just don't have an interest in them. But I'm sure others do. I enjoy the Song Title thread for two reasons - I like to try to think of a song that matches ( a battle of wits), and more importantly, I have listened to some of the songs posted that I did not know and found some of them to be great!

If you don't like the thread, it's easy to not get involved...

walrus

Well I did admit that it was a me problem. :)

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Actually, in the spirit of my hero John Lennon, I just made those numbers up on the spur of the moment because I liked the way they sounded.
Of such acts are great internet myths born.
But I did kinda suspect the delivery might give it away.
:smile:

Two points for Al. I missed an attempt at humor because it made a Beatles reference I have no context for.

In the spirit of making $hit up, I was going to post that the host for LTG had suggested that the Song Title thread was the source of the problems with recent updates because of its length but I decided the Internet had enough misinformation for one day.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Two points for Al. I missed an attempt at humor because it made a Beatles reference I have no context for.

In the spirit of making $hit up, I was going to post that the host for LTG had suggested that the Song Title thread was the source of the problems with recent updates because of its length but I decided the Internet had enough misinformation for one day.

Let's give Al three points - I believed him, too!

And frono, you get a point for your mischievous intent!

walrus

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score

Speaking of updates, personally I always thought that 10k character limitation on a single post was a bit confining.