Dumb string question

General Dreedle

Reaction score
Yes I know, it depends, blah blah blah. But the strings on my 1992 Maple JF 30 need to be replaced, any recommendations? All suggestions welcome.

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
I like the EJ16's but I tend to also dig Martin lifespans 12's.. They have a more crisp sound that I dig..

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
cant go wrong with either of the suggestions above. for light gauge strings (.12-.53, while martin is .12-.54). if you like mediums for jumbo guitars, i like d'addario EJ17s.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'd suggest D'Addario Phosphor Bronze Bluegrass EJ-19's - mediums on the wound strings, a little lighter on the top strings. That guitar needs mediums on the bottom end to really project its voice.

Brucebubs

Reaction score
I've recently become a big fan of DR Sunbeams Lights 12-54.
They are round-core so don't go pre-cutting them.
I tried the DR Rares hex-core for comparison too but prefer the feel, tone and balance of Sunbeams.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Favorite strings are like opinions, which are like...well you get the idea. :rolleyes-new:

markus

Reaction score
Guild Total
If you want to try something special: Thomastik AC112
Not cheap, but work great with my jf30.

Markus :smile:

Taylor Martin Guild

Reaction score
One more vote for Martin Lifespan strings.
They sound great on every guitar that I have used them on.
Bonus, they last a very long time.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Any time you need help with that string problem you just give us a call.
There's probably a meeting real close to you several times a week.

oh you would be impressed, have not changed strings out going on 2-3 weeks now Al. getting near a record here soon...

DV-72 NT

Reaction score
...but I tend to also dig Martin lifespans 12's.. They have a more crisp sound that I dig..

One more vote for Martin Lifespan strings.
They sound great on every guitar that I have used them on.
Bonus, they last a very long time.
Are you guys talking treated or untreated? Have not tried the Lifespans yet and need a starting point. Thanks!

Taylor Martin Guild

Reaction score
The Lifespan strings are treated but they have a great natural sound in my opinion.
Worth trying.
I like the Phosphor Bronze Medium Gauge sets.

DV-72 NT

Reaction score
Thanks TMG. I'm finding them in both treated (with red package graphic) and, I assume, UN-treated (with blue package graphic). Just wondering if there is a big difference. Used to like Elixirs but have steered away from coated.

koaguilds

Reaction score
D'Addario EFT 16's (Flattops) are a nice change of pace.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Tried to fix a typo in my previous post but it deleted but that's ok since ya all just forget I'm here lmao .

So to needle again....... Geez O Pete's the tone comment I thought was a logical question but everyone just blows by with thier I like this or that 🤪

That's great but just say experiment because with the options your presenting it'll be just go that anyway! Lol

Hugs 😁

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
My suggestion that I've put on some of my smaller guitars and even on the D-naughts are the D'Addario EXP 11 coated 80/20 bronze, deep, bright and projecting tone. They have medium gauge low strings and light gauge tops. Gives you a bit of punch on the low end and the brightness of the 80/20 is amazing. On my Taylor, Breedlove (the blue one), and the D65S!!! Try it, you might like it. No one knows about these and they're hard to find because they don't show up on lists, so you have to search for them. Strings and Beyond has them, for a super good price. But you gotta look for 'em. Last a long-a$$ time and sound great!! :encouragement:

Tom O

Reaction score
Guild Total
Try DDS325 DOYLE DYKES SIGNATURE SERIES - Light 011 1/2-54 Phosphor Bronze. They are lighter on the bottom and heavier on the top than the XP 11. They sound great on a maple DDS-6MC.

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
My suggestion.. Put these on all of your guitars.. keep them on there for about a month.. then change them back to D'addario's or Martins or hell any reputable brand.. Your guitars will sound amazing.. Might even stave off some GAS spells you might experience..
https://esteban-emporium.myshopify.com/collections/esteban-guitar-strings

In all seriousness, I am a big fan of martin strings. I have only owned one Martin guitar in my life - D16rgt.. For about two weeks and returned it to guitar center.. However, I have been playing on Martin strings since I was 16 years old.. I could have purchased a couple of D-28's likely with the money I have spent on martin strings over the years..