Lessons: Glad I'm taking them!

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I started taking lessons after 30 years of just learning a few songs by ear or chord charts and just noodling around. I've always had bored fingers , when I play the guitar. There was always more they wanted to do, but I had no idea how. I started taking them for a few reason, but was was to be that sharp stick they would prod me to KEEP PRACTICING. I don't want to show up to a lesson with zero improvement.

I was just playing along with a few tunes. One from a Lee Ritenour album:

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
And one from way back in my " It would be SO COOL to be able to play something like this ! " cassette music days:

Now that I've learned more MUSIC skills and scales and how to move about the fretboard, these two are not so far our of reach. The first one is a nice make up your own solo sort of speed and the second is not THAT far out there. Yes, lots of learning it a part at a time, but no longer in the " never in a million years " range it used to be.

Take Lessons -> Learn more skills -> have more fun.

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
JohnW63:
Started taking lessons 21 months ago. One lesson a week for an hour. At age 71, best guitar move I have made (minus, of course, keeping a good Guild acoustic in my five or six guitar stable). I wanted to be a rhythm player and then I met Johnny G. (the one Richard P so nice to) and his finger picking was so beautiful I asked my guitar teacher about finger picking (guitar teacher is a finger picker) and he started me with the basics. Been slow but correct repetition has helped me improve from "horrible" to sounding "terrible" but my walls in the house think I am great and a loving wife of 50 years who, actually, encourages me. But she cannot figure out why I need five or six guitars. Ha
I, too, promote lessons from a positive, encouraging, and qualified teacher.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I've been doing on-line lessons with Paul Gilbert for a few years (ArtistWorks). And the lessons I got in a jazz/R&B band I was in at work (college) for about 10 years was extremely helpful, particularly playing with other people.

If you can find the right teacher it can be very rewarding.

walrus

merlin6666

Reaction score
I was at my first Music Camp a month ago and signed up for guitar group instruction. We learned a Tony Rice bluegrass song "Big Mon". I never knew bluegrass before, and the right hand discipline was torture. But I think I will keep on practicing it now that it's memorized and try to get to 1/10th of the intended speed ... first time I had guitar instruction in my life.

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Anytime I am ever feeling "guitar challenged" I watch youtube videos of this guy for inspiration..

NAz8W0P.jpg

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
I was at my first Music Camp a month ago and signed up for guitar group instruction. We learned a Tony Rice bluegrass song "Big Mon". I never knew bluegrass before, and the right hand discipline was torture. But I think I will keep on practicing it now that it's memorized and try to get to 1/10th of the intended speed ... first time I had guitar instruction in my life.

Merlin - Tony Rice is amazing.. Here is my half-hearted and at time very sloppy attempt at bluegrass.. Please forgive timing issues as they are prevalent..

https://soundcloud.com/user-379706425/bluegraaaaaiiiiissss