R.I.P. Jimmy Johnson

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Those were great Chris! Thanks for sharing! I’ve seen a few docs on these boys over the years.. there was one that came out in 2013 that is really good if you haven’t seen it which you probably have.
Loved his stories.

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Great Rod Stewart story...

I liked both Rod Stewart stories.. Good stuff.. A lot people have pondered the magic of the muscle shoals sound.. I think aside from them all being really tight with each other musically especially, was the fact that they all seemed to have a producer's ear to some extent.. They weren't just paid session players.. They were more than that.. That makes a big difference.. I remember watching a documentary where Aretha Franklin referred to their sound as "greasy" which I thought was pretty cool..

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
December 2nd-4th, 1969:
-ecd15a8aca4a9df5.jpg

From here:
https://www.al.com/entertainment/2014/12/mick_jagger_slept_here_marker.html

' "Jimmy Johnson wasn't scheduled to record the Rolling Stones during sessions the British bad-boys booked at Sheffield's Muscle Shoals Sound Studio for early December 1969......"All of a sudden 12 hours before the session I found out I've gotta do it," Johnson recalls now. "Because Jimmy (Miller) didn't make it. He didn't make the flight. Oh, boy." '
:glee:

Duane Allman was a Muscle Shoals session man, too.

Last edited:

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Booooooooo!!!!! Gotta be a winner other than the listener.. And for added measure Glen C and Jimmy J are still alive for the face off..

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Booooooooo!!!!! Gotta be a winner other than the listener.. And for added measure Glen C and Jimmy J are still alive for the face off..
No, there doesn’t. Music isn’t a competition. For proof, I point you any of the Idol Got American Factor type shows. Little there is about good music.
The greats would rather learn from each other.

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
I couldnt disagree more Chris... Life is a competition.. At least that is what I tell my kids when I lock them in their room for losing the spelling bee.. :)

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I couldnt disagree more Chris... Life is a competition.. At least that is what I tell my kids when I lock them in their room for losing the spelling bee.. :)

You let 'em have a whole room?!?!
My folks had a special closet.
But in any case it ain't a real competition until the Funk Brothers are entered.
Note that would exclude the Jackson 5 stuff.
:eek-new:

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
You let 'em have a whole room?!?!
My folks had a special closet.
But in any case it ain't a real competition until the Funk Brothers are entered.
Note that would exclude the Jackson 5 stuff.
:eek-new:

Funk brothers??? well that changes the whole game Al!!! Good call excluding the J5 stuff.. I think what made MS so great is that they were on par with Mowtown in a lot of ways ( my opinion ) and they were a group of white boys from Alabamer..

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Funk brothers??? well that changes the whole game Al!!! Good call excluding the J5 stuff.. I think what made MS so great is that they were on par with Mowtown in a lot of ways ( my opinion ) and they were a group of white boys from Alabamer..

I'd humbly submit the Muscle Shoals guys probably owed a lot to the Stax Records house band, too, even more than Motown:
Booker_T._%26_the_M.G%27s.png

Green Onions, anybody?
Soul Man?

PS the Funk Brothers didn't actually play on the Jackson 5 hits...
:smile:

Last edited:

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
I'd humbly submit the Muscle Shoals guys probably owed a lot to the Stax Records house band, too, even more than Motown:
Booker_T._%26_the_M.G%27s.png

Green Onions, anybody?
Soul Man?

PS the Funk Brothers didn't actually play on the Jackson 5 hits...
:smile:

Very interesting.. No I suppose not since they were recorded in LA and not Detroit.. Never investigated Stax Records..