What I did on my summer vacation

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
This year’s build was an electric bass commission. This required a new design and plenty of choices to be made by myself and the customer. I used woods to maximize its tone: wenge (often compared to Brazilian RW), redwood (very resonant in addition to being very light), and Honduran mahogany (with a dash of maple for the neck). The pairing of the ultra dense and heavy wenge with the very light redwood managed to keep the final weight down to 8 lbs., 12 oz.
The customer selected Aguilar pickups and preamp (17 wires!) for maximum tonal versatility, and challenged me to create a 12th fret MOP inlay of a wild horse. I finally decided to name it The Wenge Underlord for its dominion over the bottom realms.
He was well pleased.

Full specs and pics at https://acornhouseworkshop.com/gallery-pages/wood-for-music/electric-bass-the-wenge-underlord/

9f254a99-4916-423b-ac3c-bad4330e0c6c.jpeg

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
That is gorgeous Chris.. Absolutely beautiful.. Redwood as a tonewood.. Very interesting.. I can only imagine that you have a very happy client!

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Snuck a look at your jumbo acoustic project "tin man's heart".. Very nice work indeed.. I bet that thing sounds amazing..

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
That is gorgeous Chris.. Absolutely beautiful.. Redwood as a tonewood.. Very interesting.. I can only imagine that you have a very happy client!
I have some leftover redwood to use in an ukulele at some point. Really nice tap tone.
And I got some more wenge to use for the sides with the quartersawn wenge I have leftover for the back of a future smaller bodied guitar build, either parlor or maybe F-20 size (I need to measure it). That stuff rings!

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Nice, although I'm not sure my commission would have that many right angles on the top...

shihan

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Wow, you have some skills! That’s one to be proud of. Very impressive.

F312

Reaction score
Nice work, have any sound you'd like to share?

Ralph

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Nice work, have any sound you'd like to share?

Ralph
Not yet. I finished the wiring and doing the final setup within 24 hours of its pics and presentation to the commissioner. He was the one to play its first notes. When his group makes a recording or video of one of their gigs, I’ll post it.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I've been watching the progress on this build, Chris, and I must say it turned out SUPER NICE!!! I like the inlaid, overlapping rectangles on such a curvey shaped bass!! Congrats! I'm sure he's super excited about it. Love the knobs, too. Sure beats what I did this summer....... :encouragement:

p.s. - the horse is a nice touch. Glad he requested it and it's perfectly proportioned!!!

Last edited:

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I've been watching the progress on this build, Chris, and I must say it turned out SUPER NICE!!! I like the inlaid, overlapping rectangles on such a curvey shaped bass!!
I used the Golden Ratio for their proportions.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Beautiful, Chris! The buyer must be very happy!

walrus

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Beautiful work! I browsed your other offerings, you are a man of many talents. I only want to play instruments, not build them. A woodworker I ain't; don't even ask me to cut two 2X4's to the same length, and I'm not joking.

But I can appreciate the fine details of your work, and I imagine the tones are pretty incredible as well.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
And, by the way, if you’ve ever wondered about the wiring in an active bass system, here’s the wiring loom after soldering.

*Dreams of drowning in a vat of spaghettini*

864fbda5-f20a-488e-8e15-12b1e566ba03.jpeg

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Man that butternut deuce is pretty amazing looking.. there than just being a magnificent example of craftsmanship your speaking my language with that through neck and tr p-90’s..