Reaction score
JAZZ HANDS! LOL!

giphy.gif

TX

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Jazz started making more sense to me when I realized many of the standards actually had a real melody and if I learned the melody and started singing it during the solos or improvs, things started to click. And at my level of mediocrity if the tune is fast with lots of changes, even nothing but roots and fifths makes me sound like I am playing jazz bass :)

On improvisation and transcription: there are several early 20th century French compositions that are currently in the organ repertoire and get played in recitals. Turns out they are actually transcriptions of improvisations. In most cases you had an incredibly talented teacher and a similarly talented student and the former played and the later made the transcription as part of the educational process.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
On improvisation and transcription: there are several early 20th century French compositions that are currently in the organ repertoire and get played in recitals. Turns out they are actually transcriptions of improvisations. In most cases you had an incredibly talented teacher and a similarly talented student and the former played and the later made the transcription as part of the educational process.
Right right right, I have no doubt a lot of stuff, especially the Dixieland stuff, was actually originally charted that way, because for one thing "traditional" literacy wasn't very high among those musicians, "in the day".
And it wasn't uncommon for recording/publishing companies to provide the service for their artists so that they had sheet music to sell; a huge source of income back in the day, and most musicians didn't realize the value of publishing rights.
Continued at least right on through the '60's for any number of rock bands, too.

Last edited:

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I don’t play or listen to jazz. I prefer music where all the musicians are playing the same song at the same time

Lol

Try the Ken Burns Jazz Coltrane CD.

That's Jazz to me.

I only wish I could play it, but if I really wanted to I would, but I don't.

I like to fake it... Get that mood going, and I like Flamenco style guitar, so I go in that direction, then back into Inna Gadda DaVida for a close, people have no idea just wth they just listened to and frankly, myself, most times I couldn't replicate it.

Slide some 7ths around, throw in a few completely dissonant things (mistakes, that you instantly repeat ina CYA move) most people wouldn't know the difference ;)

Otherwise, my hat's off to Jazz players in every way possible.

Drumming, all the old guys, Gene Kruppa, Buddy Rich, even Mitch Mitchell drummer extraordinaire that he was, Jazz drummer.

The bass playing, hell I can barely handle a bass with frets.

And the guitar playing, from Metheny, Carlton, Benson to Django, usually just mind blowing.

Never met any locally, but if I did, in a guitar trade, it would be some insanely overconfident 21 year old who looks down on anyone that plays on less than .013's and makes rash statements like "I mastered the Blues while I was still in high school" ;)

Musta been his "Om Jazz" period.

You ever hear of a fantastic San Fran combo by the name of OM Trio, back in the n00ghties? Saw em a bunch of times touring, awesome stuff.

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
You ever hear of a fantastic San Fran combo by the name of OM Trio, back in the n00ghties? Saw em a bunch of times touring, awesome stuff.
"I didn't get around much" in the '00's...

... don't recall ever hearing of 'em.
Found their home page, though, and several links to stuff on CD.
Don't recall ever hearing of 'em on our local PBS 24/7 pure jazz station, either, suspect maybe they didn't have anything published at the time, or I just never got to ID 'em.
KCSM still features real jockeys playing what they want to play, and no Kenny G.
Streaming on the web, one of, if not the last real jazz station in the country:

https://kcsm.org/jazz91/blog/listening-to-kcsm-without-an-fm-radio/

Last edited:

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Like I said, I love listening to jazz, I just don't want to learn all those odd chords. I'm guessing I may be able to improvise with some lead stuff, guitar or mandolin, although I haven't heard much jazz mandolin LOL.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Like I said, I love listening to jazz, I just don't want to learn all those odd chords. I'm guessing I may be able to improvise with some lead stuff, guitar or mandolin, although I haven't heard much jazz mandolin LOL.
Then it's Bluegrass.
In fact, these guys are from your neck of the woods:

:smile-new:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Aw, Al, you ruined it with the banjo stuff!

BTW, the "odd" (or whatever adjective you like) chords in jazz are really quite sweet sounding, and as Rich pointed out earlier in this thread, are definitely be used in the blues. For me, I found once I could get the fingering for some of those "weird" chords, some with quite a "stretch", any other chords were easier to do. The few jazz tunes I know really require me to concentrate, and definitely improve my overall playing.

walrus

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Aw, Al, you ruined it with the banjo stuff!
There's a mandolin in there!
When I want to cite banjo players I use Bela Fleck.
:glee:

I would say it has clearly expanded my musical horizons to listen to and occasionally play jazz stuff on guitar.
And yet it can cut both ways.
People stopped respecting John and Yoko after that record they did with Ornette Coleman.

Last edited:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
And yet it can cut both ways.
People stopped respecting John and Yoko after that record they did with Ornette Coleman.

Well, this will ruin what I think is a really cool thread, but here is Yoko with Ornette:

walrus

Prince of Darkness

Reaction score
Guild Total
I really like to listen to jazz from time to time, but I am definitely not a jazz musician. On the other hand, I do sing and play a few songs that are on the jazzy side of blues (or the bluesy side of jazz); the likes of T-Bone Walker or Cab Calloway, but only very basic guitar playing. I also like to substitute in 9th chords in a lot of songs, because they just sound so great to me!:triumphant:

Charlie Bernstein

Reaction score
Jazz cats just tend to like Gibsons. Jazz students just tend to like Gibson copies. Bluegrassers just always want Martins. Country pickers like Teles. Why? Because they've seen a hundred old country guys play Teles - never mind that a lot of ay-back country players had Les Pauls.

Until Hendrix, Strats were considered second-rate guitars. He single-handedly turned them into a go-to rock and blues guitar.

People want what's familiar, and they want what their heroes have (aside from talent). So that's where the market goes.

So who likes Guilds? Folks who like to get off the beaten path. (Which is, itself a market niche - like selling 7-Up as the un-cola.) I love it when people can't figure out why I sold the Martin and kept the Guild. In fact, that's one of the reasons I sold the Martin and kept the Guild!

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
I have an Epiphone Byrdland made in Japan in 2004 for Gibson. It is just as good, some say better, than the Gibson Byrdland. At half the price too! Okay, I can't sell it (which I won't do anyway) at the Gibson price. But who cares. This piece is so satifying....doesn't matter.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
He was known to use both hands sometimes, and even his teeth ;)

Quick poll:
Is "Rainy Day Dream Away" jazz or blues?
(I vote jazz if only for the sax, but even the lyrics are more Al Jarreau than BB King)
Tantalizing trivia tidbit:
There's an anecdote that he wrote that after the rained out Miami Pop Festival which means there's a possibility a Starfire was involved; going by the photos of him using one at the Wreck Bar jam session that same afternoon...
109859dd4a8e89dacf9a4b2ab00b5e82.jpg

2315-ne-hendrix-self.jpg

Given the inlay work on that axe and that it's a lefty, it's a pretty safe bet that guitar wasn't just a one-night stand for him.
57534814_1_x.jpg

From here:
http://letstalkguild.com/ltg/showth...arfire-V-(Cherry-left-handed)-sold-at-auction
:friendly_wink:

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
. . .

People want what's familiar, and they want what their heroes have (aside from talent). So that's where the market goes. . . .

And That's exactly why Shure Sm57 & SM58 are still considered as quality mics instead of semi-decent doorstops :triumphant: