Mark I Hog Top

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
LTG brothers and sisters:

I am getting the itch ( which I do about every 5 years ) to add a classical guitar to the stable.. I have come across a few - what appear to be - well priced all mahogany Mark I examples from the mid 60’s..

Any owners out there who could tell me about them. Tone? Etc? I saw a guy playing one on a YouTube vid that sounded pretty good but I do put a pretty heavy amount of stock in the opinions and observations I see here..

bobdcat

Reaction score
I had one for several years until I replaced it with a Mark IV.
The Mark I is one of the best classical bargains out there. Beautiful, deep basses and strong trebles. Not quite as bright as a spruce top, but a unique sound like no other. I am often puzzled that all-mahogany hasn't been used more by classical makers. Tradition, I suppose. But, don't let that stop you. I would still have it if I had unlimited storage for guitars. But, moving from a house to an apartment meant downsizing to "only" 7 guitars.

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Ha! Only 7!! Love it!
Thanks Roger.. yeah I am heavily intrigued by them and have always been a fan of the all hog look and sound.. great design for a classical I agree.. I’ll report back if I snag one!

bobdcat

Reaction score
The George Menschell character in A Might Wind played (or rather held) a Mark I. Played by Paul Dooley, George was the remaining original member of the "Main Street Singers". Look for it the next time you see the movie. There were a lot of period-correct instruments because Christopher Guest, the director, is a player, collector, and a stickler for detail in his movies.
Check out the cast picture, right about in the middle behind Chris Guest playing banjo:
MV5BMTI5MDAwMTg1OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMzg0MDI3._V1_.jpg

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
I will do just that. love that movie!! Yes CG's attention to detail in all of his mockumentaries is absolutely impeccable.

westerlyborn

Reaction score
I have all 5 Marks( excluding 6 and 7 which are handmade). I love the Mark I best. Lovely tone and handling. Incredibly light. Don't let the mousey looks fool you, she's a rich sounding performer.

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks WB.. I think the all hog looks of the Mark I are lovely.. I am keeping my eye out for one that is well-priced.