Wonder what got furbished on it.

mellowgerman

Reaction score
Last edited:

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Of course it would be helpful if we know why something was being sold as B-stock. Sometimes there is a physical flaw or blemish that still exists, sometimes there was a "problem" that has been fixed but for whatever reason the fixed instrument can not legally be sold as new and sometimes it is an overstock situation where the manufacturer does not want to be responsible for the warranty.

That said, people often ask about fit and finish issues on NS instruments so perhaps things are not getting caught at the factory? At ope point people were saying the instruments were packed and shipped and the next person to look at them was either the selling dealer or the buyer. Either way it seems like an inspection opportunity has been lost.

Minnesota Flats

Reaction score
Most common flaws I've seen on NS SF Basses are cosmetic finish issues around the fretboard edges.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
B stock or not, this is what caught my eye, regarding the wonders of the 30.75" scale:

"The harmonics your bass guitar generates are spaced along the strings based on the length of the strings — shorter strings mean the harmonics are packed in tighter, giving any note you play more harmonic richness than a longer scale would."

SAY WHAT?!?!??
That ain't how Jack Casady hears it.

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
B stock or not, this is what caught my eye, regarding the wonders of the 30.75" scale:

"The harmonics your bass guitar generates are spaced along the strings based on the length of the strings — shorter strings mean the harmonics are packed in tighter, giving any note you play more harmonic richness than a longer scale would."

SAY WHAT?!?!??
That ain't how Jack Casady hears it.

We know what Jack thinks because he selected the 34" scale length for his Signature bass after he had played Starfires.

I can almost explain what the marketing speak is trying to say although I'm not sure I believe it. I choose not to even try because when I did try, I needed more calculus than I remembered.

Minnesota Flats

Reaction score
Maybe B-stock ones have insufficient extra harmonic richness.

And maybe the "re-furbished" ones have been sent back to get extra harmonic richness "packed in tighter" at the factory.

:wink-new:

lungimsam

Reaction score
Guild Total
Sweetwater replied, regarding the aforementioned maplefires:

“Each unit is going to be slightly different. It is just going to be small finish flaws that don't effect the playability and sound of the bass at all. Better to sell them at a lower price than destroy them all together. It will be small dents and dings, maybe a little run in the finish”.

I’d get one if I could. My cherryfire came “new” with fingerboard edge finish flaws but no big deal. Loved the bass so much I kept it. So these would be a steal I bet.
I’d also like to try a Jetstar sometime.

Last edited:

Minnesota Flats

Reaction score
My first NS SF was an SF-I that I got at a steep discount. It had a couple of those minor finish flaws at the edge of the fretboard: the clear was just slightly "fogged" in a couple places. Strictly cosmetic: the bass had no other issues whatsoever.

lungimsam

Reaction score
Guild Total
Actually, having paid 1050$ for my SFI new, I don't think 845 is such a great deal - two pups or no.
I also don't believe these instruments should cost the retail they do these days.
Finish flaws, the un-intonatable low e string because the bridge travel slot is too short, the cheap electronics (including the factory flimsy melted edged stock plasticy body of the Bisonic), etc., makes me only want to pay 900$ tops new anyway for a SFI or II.
But I guess I would have to pony up and pay what they ask if I had to replace mine because there are also so many wonderful things about these Starfires, too. Like the narrow nut width, and the shortscale neck is so comfy. Evenness of tone across the fboard, beauty of the instrument, great tone, etc. So in the long run, would be worth it. Starfires are rare jewels in the bass world. Not many bases designed like them.

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
the un-intonatable low e string because the bridge travel slot is too short

That was not my experience and there are many ways other ways to explain your experience, as previously discussed, that do not have to be design or manufacturing flaws.

lungimsam

Reaction score
Guild Total
I remember a convo about it near the time I bought it but I dont remember any ideas that fixed the problem so I can only chalk it up to a too short slot.
It doesn’t go that far out though but it does go out from 7th fret and higher but if I tune the low E 1 cent low it helps and has been manageable. But for the price would be good to have enough travel and not cutting it so close. I have read of others who had same prob and filed the slot.

Last edited:

Happy Face

Justified Ancient of MuMu
Reaction score
I remember a convo about it near the time I bought it but I dont remember any ideas that fixed the problem so I can only chalk it up to a too short slot.
It doesn’t go that far out though but it does go out from 7th fret and higher but if I tune the low E 1 cent low it helps and has been manageable. But for the price would be good to have enough travel and not cutting it so close. I have read of others who had same prob and filed the slot.

I had to file the slot on my 71(?) JS-II. It's not a new issue!