NGD: 2000s Guild Starfire IV

Reaction score
SF4-23.jpg

Received the guitar last week and posted on my website a few minutes ago.

It is a beauty and exactly as described which is always good. I would say near mint condition.

Wondering if anyone can help with dating it? It is definitely 2000s.

SF4-01.jpg

Plenty of pictures on the website.

So for the short time I have this Starfire, I think the pickups are OK. Different than PAF or Gibson Humbuckers, but actually pretty good. I will wait and decide later if I will swap these out or not.

GGJaguar

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Wondering if anyone can help with dating it? It is definitely 2000s.

So for the short time I have this Starfire, I think the pickups are OK. Different than PAF or Gibson Humbuckers, but actually pretty good. I will wait and decide later if I will swap these out or not.

My best guess is that it was made in 2001. I have a 2001 SF-4 and I agree that the pickups aren't that bad, but then, I'm not a humbucker connoisseur (I usually go for single coils). Enjoy!!

Last edited:

shihan

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
That’s a beauty! Hard to top a late Westerly SF. Hope you enjoy it in good health!

Reaction score
My best guess is that it was made in 2001. I have a 2001 SF-4 and I agree that the pickups aren't that bad, but then, I'm not a humbucker connoisseur (I usually go for single coils). Enjoy!!

I am more of a single coil guy myself. P90s usually. For Humbuckers my favorite are Filter’trons. But I do have a few guitars with Humbuckers like my 335 and Les Paul. Most Humbuckers I do like are the low wounds.

Thanks for the date, what I thought as well.

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Those pickups are the Fender-made HB-1alikes. They're not bad, particularly in (semi-) hollow guitars where the natural mid-scoop you get from the guitar gives the pickups more character.

-Dave-

dbirchett

Reaction score
I have a Starfire V from the same year. I didn't mind the HB-1s on it but wasn't really excited about them either. They seemed to be the weak point of the guitar. I changed them for TV Jones' Power'Trons and love those. They are the 'Trons most like a PAF but seem clearer.

In any event, yours is a beautiful guitar and I agree with all that has been said about how wonderful the later Westerlys were. Enjoy it in good health.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Congrats Chasing! Late Westerly Guild electrics are some of the finest ever made in my opinion. I went the opposite direction from Dbirchett with my late Westerly SFV. I wound up replacing the Fender made pickups with Duncan Custom Shop Phat Staple single coils in a humbucker mount. Absolutely Love them in that Guitar!

TX

Reaction score
Congrats Chasing! Late Westerly Guild electrics are some of the finest ever made in my opinion. I went the opposite direction from Dbirchett with my late Westerly SFV. I wound up replacing the Fender made pickups with Duncan Custom Shop Phat Staple single coils in a humbucker mount. Absolutely Love them in that Guitar!

TX

Nice! Unique choice.

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Congrats CG!!! Mighty fine Maple SF. I too am more of a single coil guy - p-90's and strat p/u's - but I dug the HB-1's that I had on my Emerald Green SF / NS Series.. Granted mine was a 2015 model MIK.. Not sure how the pick ups differ..