How Does One distinguish between a Guild D40 and a Guild D40 Blue Grass Jubilee?

binod30

Reaction score
Hello fellow forum insiders:

I am somewhat perplexed. I am being told that a D40C is a Blue Grass Jubilee, but nowhere on the guitar or under the hood (Hate that expression) does it identify the guitar as a Blue Grass Jubilee? Could it be a BG Jube? Were the cutaways only Blue Grass Jubilee's? This sounds a bit funny to me. Am I all wet?:unsure:

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
"Buegrass Jubilee" was the model "name" associated with the D-40 when it was introduced in 1963. A cutaway version of the D-40, the D-40C was introduced in 1975. I don't know that the Westerly-built cutaway was ever referred to as the "Jubilee" in a catalog, but Hans Moust does NOT include that designation in his "Guild Guitar Book" (see page 121). Note that the D-44 with pearwood back and sides was also referred to as the Bluegrass Jubilee when introduced in 1965. All of these Westerly-built models would have had Sitka spruce tops.

Model names sort of fell out of favor in the early 1970s (Hans could probably tell you when they disappeared from the catalogs).

The name "Bluegrass Jubilee" was re-introduced as an Adirondak-topped version of the D-40 in the Tacoma factory, and I believe that name carried over into the New Hartford factory. I don't recall whether there was a cutaway D-40 made in Tacoma or New Hartford.

The important take away is that, Westerly-built D-40s, whether cutaway or not, "Bluegrass Jubilee" or not.. will have Sitka spruce tops. (now watch some Westerly-built D-40 with a cedar or Adirondak spruce show up as an exception to the rule!) Only Tacoma-era (or later) Bluegrass Jubilees will have Adirondak tops.

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Hello fellow forum insiders:

I am somewhat perplexed. I am being told that a D40C is a Blue Grass Jubilee, but nowhere on the guitar or under the hood (Hate that expression) does it identify the guitar as a Blue Grass Jubilee? Could it be a BG Jube? Were the cutaways only Blue Grass Jubilee's? This sounds a bit funny to me. Am I all wet?:unsure:

SHORT Answer:
Guild originally called the D40 the "Bluegrass Jubilee", introduced in '63, along with the D50 "Bluegrass Special".
Both of 'em used sitka spruce tops.
Guild dropped the use of names in the early '70's, they just fell out of fashion, and by the time the D40C (cutaway) was introduced ca '75, it was only called the "D40".
They never used the name "Bluegrass" again until 2005 in Tacoma WA, when they reintroduced the name on D40's and D50's with red spruce ("adirondack") tops.
I don't think Tacoma made and D40 cutaways of any type, but could be wrong, can only see an '08 price list right now:
https://web.archive.org/web/2008091...celists/2008_summer_guild_MSRP_price_list.pdf
I don't think any of the cutaways were Bluegrass Jubilees, either in the '70's or in New Hartford, where they were not consistently labeled as "D40-BJ" but did have specific decoration like tortoise shell binding.
If the guitar in question is a New Hartford and has a satin-finish neck it cannot be a D40 Bluegrass, those were always fully gloss finished.
I believe New Hartford only offered cutaways on the "Standard" models, and one of the features of those was a combined satin/gloss finish, although we've seen reports of later production being full gloss.
This 2013 New Hartford catalog is my reference:
https://web.archive.org/web/2013061...ts/?gtype=acoustics&series=Traditional+Series
Hopefully that'll help ID it by process of elimination.
Oh yes, if it's a Corona, I can assure you it's not a Bluegrass Jubilee, either.
They didn't use adi there, even though they might have made some D40C's, just can't recall for sure if they made a cutaway there or not.
(Ah, I see Dave slipped in while I was composing with the "Name logic" answer, so at least I could contribute some insight about the cutaways from New Hartford (Look in the "Standard Series section in that catalog link:
https://web.archive.org/web/2013061...ments/?gtype=acoustics&series=Standard+Series

Last edited:

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Shorter answer:

If it is a D-25,35,40,44 or 50 and it is being played at a Bluegrass Jubilee well then there you go..

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I believe New Hartford only offered cutaways on the "Standard" models, and one of the features of those was a combined satin/gloss finish, although we've seen reports of later production being full gloss.

To clarify a little, the standard series from New Hartford were full gloss nitrocellulose finishes with satin finished necks until 2013, when the sides and back were satin as well. All the "Tradiotnal" series models were Adirondack tops with the exception of the D55, which was sitka. All have Adi bracing I believe. The Standard series from New Hartford were/are incredible values, I've never played one that was anything short of great.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
To clarify a little, the standard series from New Hartford were full gloss nitrocellulose finishes with satin finished necks until 2013, when the sides and back were satin as well. All the "Tradiotnal" series models were Adirondack tops with the exception of the D55, which was sitka. All have Adi bracing I believe. The Standard series from New Hartford were/are incredible values, I've never played one that was anything short of great.

Just to clarify a little, There were 3 D55's made at New Hartford that had Adirondack Spruce tops and I have one of them.:peach:

TX

binod30

Reaction score
I would like to thank all of you for the helpful and heartfelt input. Forever Guild and may Guild never perish.

Now to change it up just a bit. FYI, I was referring to a 1980's D40C - so from Westerly. However, for just a personal opinion with no stones being tossed, I would like to ask if anybody has owned or played a cutaway D40, and what their opinion was? Favorable? How did it stack up to the regular D40?

Is this OK?

Thanks,
Cameron

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I have played a late 70's D40 and D40C side by side and there was no readily noticeable difference in their tone. I am sure if you scrutinize for hours on end you could find a slight variant between the two but that could also be attributed to just being two different guitars. I have heard two identical D40's from the same year have a slight variance in tone from each other just because it is two different sets of wood and they can't all sound the same. If you like having access to the upper frets I think a D40C is a Great Guild. The biggest difference in tone will come from from using different sizes and types of strings.

Just for comparison I have a JF65CE cutaway Maple jumbo and it sounds extremely similar to the non cutaway version of the same guitar. No readily noticeable loss of volume or tone in the cutaway version.

TX

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
To clarify a little, the standard series from New Hartford were full gloss nitrocellulose finishes with satin finished necks until 2013, when the sides and back were satin as well.
I could say it was a typo on my part but I distinctly recall discussion of one of the standards that actually got a full gloss treatment, now that I think about it, think another member had one as well.
One of those things that "stuck" because they were oddballs.
It generated some guessing games about how/why it may have happened, and seem to recall they were very late production, as if maybe they'd given up on the satin finish thing, but don't recall for sure.
Primary point was to make clear one couldn't 100% rule out a Standard D40 based on full gloss finish, although very rare and low probability.
All the "Traditional" series models were Adirondack tops with the exception of the D55, which was sitka. All have Adi bracing I believe. The Standard series from New Hartford were/are incredible values, I've never played one that was anything short of great.
Thought the F50 Traditional was "the other" model never to get adi top, in any factory?
At least, the 2013 catalog shows sitka:
https://web.archive.org/web/2013061...s/details/?partno=3852400801#simpleContained4

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I would like to thank all of you for the helpful and heartfelt input. Forever Guild and may Guild never perish.

Now to change it up just a bit. FYI, I was referring to a 1980's D40C - so from Westerly.
And as you probably learned, they weren't actually using the "Bluegrass Jubilee" name by the time the D40c was introduced.
By the way the D40c was the first cutaway dreadnought ever made, and the gentleman who designed and built the prototype for Guild posted here a few times, a while back.
However, for just a personal opinion with no stones being tossed, I would like to ask if anybody has owned or played a cutaway D40, and what their opinion was? Favorable? How did it stack up to the regular D40?

Is this OK?

Thanks,
Cameron
AS TXBumper noted, a cutaway will probably sound very close if not identical to it's "uncut" kin, because the area where the cutaway is located is a very dead area of the top anyway.
The vast majority of a guitar's output's generated from the area below the bridge.

Member PittPastor ha an early production piece which has been the topic of some discussions:
http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/sh...-Guild-D40C-If-so-what-year&highlight=cutaway
http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/sh...-ons-(including-new-Pickup)&highlight=cutaway
Note the comments towards the end of that second thread about potential stability issues with cutaways due to the need to compromise some bracing structure.....

beecee

Reaction score
I could say it was a typo on my part but I distinctly recall discussion of one of the standards that actually got a full gloss treatment, now that I think about it, think another member had one as well.
It generated some guessing games about how/why it may have happened, and seem to recall they were very late production, as if maybe they'd given up on the satin finish thing, but don't recall for sure.
Primary point was to make clear one couldn't 100% rule out a Standard D40 based on full gloss finish, although very rare and low probability.
I believe it was the F-30R standard I bought then sold to hey mikey

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total

Now to change it up just a bit. FYI, I was referring to a 1980's D40C - so from Westerly. However, for just a personal opinion with no stones being tossed, I would like to ask if anybody has owned or played a cutaway D40, and what their opinion was? Favorable? How did it stack up to the regular D40?

Is this OK?

Thanks,
Cameron

Cameron - I would agree with Al & TX.. IME cutaways really don't detract from the volume on any discernable level. I played a late 70's D-40C in a GC in Arlington about 2 years ago.. It was in need of much repair and wasn't particularly outstanding.. Sorry not much more experience on that front sir. Good luck on your search!!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I believe it was the F-30R standard I bought then sold to hey mikey

I feel so vindicated! :victorious:
Thanks buddy!