Digitizing 2000 Pages of Guild Guitar Catalogs

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
The official release of my catalog pages is imminent, and I decided to write up what it was like to complete this project.

https://www.gad.net/Blog/2019/08/28/digitizing-2000-pages-guild-guitar-catalogs/

This is the current state of my Guild paper shelf, though a few items are not Guild-specific:

GuildCatalogBindersGADShelf.jpg

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
How long in collecting this "paper shelf" worth of Guild materials?

Do you mean how long have I been collecting catalogs and such?

If I had to guess I'd say I bought my first Guid catalog probably around 2005 or so after I sold my S300AD and wanted a memento of it. It was the 1978 catalog with the white S300 on it.

I'd say my collection is probably about the same in scope as Grots (at least given what he's let me see), though his price list collection easily doubles mine. I was SO excited when he agreed to let me borrow his binder full of price lists.

Having had the privilege of visiting Hans, I can attest that we are but wee amateurs compared to him and he is the undisputed king. I'm just the guy with two bored college kids and a webserver.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Great article, GAD - we appreciate your efforts! :applouse:

walrus

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Having had the privilege of visiting Hans, I can attest that we are but wee amateurs compared to him and he is the undisputed king. I'm just the guy with two bored college kids and a webserver.

I could have cut my learning time in half and probably avoided a lot of misconceptions if this resource had been available back when I joined.
I am humbled (by the intensive labor investment) and gob-smacked and thank you sincerely.
When do you think you'll start on the errata list of incorrect specs?
:glee:

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I could have cut my learning time in half and probably avoided a lot of misconceptions if this resource had been available back when I joined.
I am humbled (by the intensive labor investment) and gob-smacked and thank you sincerely.
When do you think you'll start on the errata list of incorrect specs?
:glee:

Oh man - can you imagine the work involved? I'd rather just ask Hans. :peaceful:

bobdcat

Reaction score
Were you able to rescan the 1980 Flattops & Classics catalog that was missing pages A-7 & A-8 ?
I have a 1980 D25, which must be on one of those pages. It would be cool to have a scan of that.
Thanks

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Didn’t know something needed to be rescanned. If you find errors or missing pages please point them out to me.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Were you able to rescan the 1980 Flattops & Classics catalog that was missing pages A-7 & A-8 ?
I have a 1980 D25, which must be on one of those pages. It would be cool to have a scan of that.
Thanks

I don't understand the question. The site has those pages:

Guild-1980-Acoustic-Catalog-pg07_1600.jpeg

bobdcat

Reaction score
Excellent! I downloaded the 1980 catalog from your page a couple of months ago, and it was missing A-7 and A-8.
Thank you so much for fixing that, since I used to have an F-50 and currently have a D-25 Cherry. Both were missing from your old scan.

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
The description of the D-35 and D-25 in the 1980 catalog (pictured above) includes the factory recommended string gauges. This will be a great resource for folks wanting to know what strings their acoustic guitar came from the factory with, as this changed during the different eras and with the different bracing designs.

Thank you for the considerable time and energy you put in on this project, Gary!

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Excellent! I downloaded the 1980 catalog from your page a couple of months ago, and it was missing A-7 and A-8.
Thank you so much for fixing that, since I used to have an F-50 and currently have a D-25 Cherry. Both were missing from your old scan.

Oh! If it was months ago then it was from the knowledge base and those files didn't come from me. That explains a lot.

In other news, I'm doing away with the knowledge base.

bobdcat

Reaction score
The description of the D-35 and D-25 in the 1980 catalog (pictured above) includes the factory recommended string gauges. This will be a great resource for folks wanting to know what strings their acoustic guitar came from the factory with, as this changed during the different eras and with the different bracing designs.

Thank you for the considerable time and energy you put in on this project, Gary!

I started using Martin Tony Rice Retro Monel strings on my D25. Gauges: E1-.013; B2-.016; G3-.026; D4-.034; A5-.044; E6-.056
I really like the sound, volume and feel in combination with the D25. I highly recommend them.

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
I don't understand the question. The site has those pages:

Guild-1980-Acoustic-Catalog-pg07_1600.jpeg

Was just looking at this page.. This was a feat I can see GAD and I am really enjoying the fruits of your labor sir.. This is excellent!

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
I started using Martin Tony Rice Retro Monel strings on my D25. Gauges: E1-.013; B2-.016; G3-.026; D4-.034; A5-.044; E6-.056
I really like the sound, volume and feel in combination with the D25. I highly recommend them.

Cool! Thanks for the recommendation. I'll give them a try on my '81 D-25 NT. :encouragement: