in the deep end...on the beat up old d35

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Awesome playing, lots of tones in these Guilds.

Woody, check this, I think these guys stole a couple a of your ideas ;) I hear other stuff in there, but I had to dig a little to remember a bit of a riff that stuck with me.

Awesome vid, Peter Green with that backwards neck pickup, that guitar later became Gary Moore's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Czt215Sjoa0

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
thanks Walrus.

Guilded, that Fmac tune is awesome! such an incredible groove. i listened to Rumors for like a year straight when i was 17 and 18. it must have rubbed off :)

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Top notch playing... So balanced and crisp sounding with that sweet vintage tone like my '78 D-35.. Man if you were still in the DFW area a D-35 jam sess would definitely be in order..

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Top notch playing... So balanced and crisp sounding with that sweet vintage tone like my '78 D-35.. Man if you were still in the DFW area a D-35 jam sess would definitely be in order..

totally D30 man! thanks for the kind words. My Br is from the DFW area :) But i find myself hardly every playing it, even though it is in better shape than the '73 D35. I just prefer spruce tops these days.

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
totally D30 man! thanks for the kind words. My Br is from the DFW area :) But i find myself hardly every playing it, even though it is in better shape than the '73 D35. I just prefer spruce tops these days.

Yeah I have found with the couple of hog top guits I have owned over the years that they are really great for writing and recording.. Sure a lot of them have their own unique voice but typically more subdued and not quite as dynamic as spruce tops.. Then again I am sure there are those D-25 hog / D-15/16 owners here on the LTG who would absolutely disagree with me..

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
That spruce has a ring that's totally enchanting.

I have two of them now, and the first, a '73 orphan from Denver CO, my first re-Guild that wasn't a 12 string, I just fell in love with it. Everyday, I would just dream of getting to play it, it would get me through the day, even if it was only five minutes before somebody yells at you or the phone rings...

The second, a '71 I got this year (still don't know why), really clean one in the original blue velvet lined case, is bassier with higher action (actually has a saddle! ;), and I tuned it to open D, and wow wow wow.

Even last night, I got compliments from her, that usually barely tolerates guitaring, but this is different.

I gotta say, that's one of the finest open tuning guitars I've ever heard.

I quit playing three times, and started again, even though each time I about fell asleep... Eventually quit at ten to midnight. Recorded some.

Now that you have two, try some open D and grab a bottleneck slide, and explore.

I'm still trying to cut the perfect bottleneck slide from wine bottles. It's tricky, so far I only have one perfect one without a crack.

Just take a decent bottle your preferred finger likes (middle for me, leaves 1-3-4 for fingering chords), trace a straight line around it with a sharpie (or try ;), then take your glass cutter and go around, softly, and then whack it off, gently. Then take some fine wetordry sandpaper and smooth the sharp edges, and you're set.

I have a lot of slides, and on the D35 I like glass the best. Couldn't find my best one last night (Rock Slide, great slides and I know the guy), so I used what was my favorite on electric slide, like on my P90 LP Special, which is a vintage Craftsman 3/8" drive 13/16" spark plug socket (very thin walled) with the drive end cut off, it's light, stays on good and sounds incredible.

I put in my time with Rumours for sure.

Last edited: