Pat Metheny Tonight!

MartyG

Reaction score
Making the short trip up to Wilmington DE tonight for a bucket-list concert. (Mine, not his) From the venue:

Metheny will be joined by a band of hugely accomplished players, including his longtime drummer Antonio Sanchez, bassist Linda Oh and British pianist Simcock, who will help bring some of Metheny's lesser-known and most ambitious cuts to life on stage.

I'm holding out hope for a Guild sighting. 300 seat venue - should be great. Will post a review tomorrow.

Marty

Aristera

Reaction score
I've seen Pat many, many times. It will be great! As far as a Guild sighting, look at some of Pat Metheny Group "The Way Up" Live cuts. I believe you'll see a JF-55. He just turned 65 on 8/12. Same day and year as my wife's Bday.

MartyG

Reaction score
It was fantastic. I was wrong about the players I mentioned above, turns out he had keyboardist James Francies and drummer Marcus Gilmore (Roy Haynes' grandson) with him, and I was thrilled! He began with some classics in duo mode - first with Marcus alone, then with James alone, then all three together. Bass was handled by James on the keyboards too. (Six by my count) How may arms does this guy have? Amazing way to kick off this phase of the Side Eye tour. He pulled out all the stops with some new music written for the three of them, and made use of at least six guitars, including the Pikasso 42 string beast. Backstage he had a mini version of the Orchestrion chugging along for a chunk of the concert. So cool, but it was never mentioned - it just did its thing. I really enjoyed his encore solo piece - a compilation of some of my favorite pieces from the album One Quiet Night. The night was anything but quiet, (A full three hours non-stop) and I loved every minute!

Marty

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Glad to hear you enjoyed it. I've been a Metheny fam since the late 70' s. Got tickets to see him a few years ago. He started off the show with like a 45 minute piece of jazz/noise/fusion. The mix was horrible and it was so loud it hurt your teeth. We left after the first "song"!