You suck at 12-string

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
That's what I thought to myself when I watched this for the 3000th time.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I actually like this one better because I think it's less frenetic and more melodic, but saying anything he played is anything but amazing seems like blasphemy. (Go to 3:11)

CA-35

Reaction score
Yesterday August 27th marks 29 years since his tragic death..........RIP my brother

mellowgerman

Reaction score
Funny that I see this post right as I'm stringing up my Dano DC12 with a fresh set of strings... guess I've got my work cut out for me!
In all seriousness though, as remarkably impressive as SRV's playing is, it has never been a style that I've aspired to. For 12string especially, I'm a huge fan of the Paul Kantner approach of creating rhythmic textures that complement the whole mix of the song. The most complicated stuff I attempt is the occasional Roger McGuinn inspired licks. Another reason for my gravitation toward the simpler style is probably that all of my songs start as lyrics... my degree is in English Language and Writing, so the guitar serves as a means of helping to communicate mood and emotion that can't always be expressed by words alone.... whoops, sorry about the tangent!

JF-30

Reaction score
I suck just fine with 6. I have a 12 and the suck factor doubles.

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Well, he DID play with 13s on the Strat all the time , so he was used to string tension.

Yeah he used to say he got better tone when his guitar would fight him a little bit.. something along those lines.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
While I am impressed with the technique, when played over my laptop speakers, I hear very little that "sounds" like a 12 string. If Mrs. Fro's 12 sounded like that it would still be default's.

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I actually like this one better because I think it's less frenetic....

Yeah, that first one is certainly frenetic! It's like he's showing how fast he can play....

In all seriousness though, as remarkably impressive as SRV's playing is, it has never been a style that I've aspired to.....

I kinda have to agree. His true forte was playing and singing the blues on an electric 6-string, wasn't it? I mean, he was great - I saw him live a month or two before he died. A great show, but he wasn't playing a 12-string.

crank

Reaction score
Pretty sure SRV tuned a half step down.. Makes for less tension on them strings.

Sure sounds like a 12-string to me.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yeah, that first one is certainly frenetic! It's like he's showing how fast he can play....

I kinda have to agree. His true forte was playing and singing the blues on an electric 6-string, wasn't it? I mean, he was great - I saw him live a month or two before he died. A great show, but he wasn't playing a 12-string.

Yes, he was famously a Strat player.

The 12-string performance was for MTV's Unplugged.

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Yeah I never was a big SRV fan.. I know blasphemy... and from a Texan.. No denying he was talented.. He just never did anything for me stylistically speaking..

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I love the way SRV manhandles the F-412 in this performance on MTV Unplugged.

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://youtu.be/cLAjxqdf-YA[/FONT]

dbirchett

Reaction score
I think I sound better on a 12 string than a six. But what that really means is I suck a little less.