Acoustic vs. Electric

Mark WW

Reaction score
I mostly "played" electric and when not it was an acoustic 12. My Yamaha Red Label. The electric guitars I have are like art pieces to me. They are so durn beautiful. I switched from plain finish to sunburst on my acoustics and that one little thing makes me want to play acoustically. Shallow huh?

Dreadnut...nice trio there!

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks Mark. The middle one belongs to Roger (grassdog.)

This is my trio before I sold the F-512:

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]
ha0wZFs.jpg
[/FONT]

DThomasC

Reaction score
Ever since I acquired my third guitar I've owned more electrics than acoustics and, except for a short period where I lived in a small apartment with no amp, I've played electric more than acoustic. Sadly, I've played acoustic even less frequently in the past few years because of arthritis in my fingers.

I really do wish there was an acoustic guitar that sounded good with ultra-light strings and low action. I have a Taylor GS Mini that's easy on the fingers with a 23.5" scale. The quality of sound surprises me considering how small it is, but it doesn't have the depth or impact of a Guild dread. I've thought about trying an Oxnard M-20 setup with extra light strings, but that would be an experiment....

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Ever since I acquired my third guitar I've owned more electrics than acoustics and, except for a short period where I lived in a small apartment with no amp, I've played electric more than acoustic. Sadly, I've played acoustic even less frequently in the past few years because of arthritis in my fingers.

I really do wish there was an acoustic guitar that sounded good with ultra-light strings and low action. I have a Taylor GS Mini that's easy on the fingers with a 23.5" scale. The quality of sound surprises me considering how small it is, but it doesn't have the depth or impact of a Guild dread. I've thought about trying an Oxnard M-20 setup with extra light strings, but that would be an experiment....

I guess it depends what you mean by "ultra-light", but I have Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze Extra Lights on my F-30. Gauges are: 010, .014, .020w, .028, .040, .050. They are easier to play, and sound great - at least on this guitar!

BTW, I also tried the D'Addario Extra Lights which are .010, .014, .023w, .030, .039, .047. These did not sound as good to me.

walrus

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Nice.. If she sounds half as good as she looks I bet so!! I will own one..

crank

Reaction score
I play acoustic at home and mostly electric with bands. I practice a lot, practice is mostly learning songs or riffs, with an unplugged hollow body electric. That guitar is an Epiphone Sorento and being my only short scale and having a super easy, fairly thin neck, and being the one guitar in my collection that lives in a hangar on the wall, it is the one that gets played most.

I have 3 good electrics and 2 Guild acoustics and all get played a fair bit.

I just started playing with a mellow pop project consisting of piano, guitar and percussion. I have been using the Acoustics for that and it will be nice to gig the Guilds more. I haven't done a lot of acoustic gigs.

However, I will never stop playing electric guitar as that is my forte and I love nothing more than improvising a good, melodic, solo.

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score

GHS Silk and Steel strings, or JP Silk and Bronze.

Either will have you playing a lot longer without pain.

DThomasC

Reaction score
Guys, thanks for the recommendation of silk. I remember trying them years ago just to see how they sounded, but I had forgotten all about them. I will give them a try!

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yeah, I prefer the Silk & Phosphor Bronze over the Silk and Steels.

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
I play acoustic guitar pretty much every day, though sometimes the guitar is an unplugged electric. Some electrics are just such a pleasure to play that I don't mind if their unplugged sound isn't the greatest, while others sound pretty darn good whether plugged in or not. My little Guild F-20 and Martin 0-15 get most of the proper acoustic playing time.

-Dave-