Humidity control

GaryG

Reaction score
Is there some kind of unit that automatically adds humidity and/or removes humidity? My basement
acoustic guitar room ranges from very high in the summer to very low in the winter. The room is only
about 10'X10'. Thanks.

Last edited:

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
I don't know of any gizmo that can add and subtract humidity other than a heating/cooling system with a humidistat and threshold settings for both the furnace and air conditioner. We're getting into the time of year where my AC will run during the day, as much to lower the humidity as cool the air, while the furnace will kick in a bit at night. (My furnace can add humidity too, though I currently have this disabled.) During winter I also use a small humidifier in the room where I keep my music gear.

-Dave-

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I use a good sized dehumidifier in the hot humid months and a good sized humidifier in the winter months. No guarantees but I can typically keep the humidity between 50% and 60%. No problems as of yet.

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I've run humidifiers in the city with electric or gas heat, but with wood we just keep water on the stove problem solved for winter. For summer electrics left out get no special consideration and all acoustics stay in cases, never left out, damp sponge in every case that gets refreshed occasionally.

A/C pulls moisture out of the air, if you have excess.

I used a Marshall 50W half stack as the only source of heat in my bedroom, worked great, kinda chilly but you got used to it. Later I did the same thing with a Blackface Deluxe Reverb (that ended up in the hands of Eric Johnson), in a much smaller bedroom, was actually quite cozy.

I'd always heard that turning tubes amps on and off all the time is what wears them out (heat cycles) and that the military never shut theirs off, so the amp would be on standby 24/7 as a room warmer and never had a problem.

So I'm wondering wouldn't that help dry the air our in an enclosed space?

Reaction score
I am located in Northern New Jersey. My guitar room is in the basement. I have several humidity/temperature meters. In winter I have a large humidifier that pumps moisture into the room. In summer I run a large dehumidifier. I also have an air conditioner that is there when needed. I am able to keep humidity between 45% to 55% year round. I am pretty diligent about it.