fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
A wise friend told me once: "Just remember; perceptions, in the eye of the beholder, are every bit as real as reality."

In some academic circles "myth" is defined as a "collection of strongly held beliefs that cause people to act". Note that the definition says nothing about truth or falsehood. If people are acting upon it, it doesn't really matter whether it is true, or not.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Note that the definition says nothing about truth or falsehood.
I actually had a college course for history credit.
The premise was that myths are created to codify cultural values and create cultural identity and unity.
As in "true or false", "reality" is besides the point (as in many Greek myths) but when attempting to create cultural identity it helps, as in the "myth" of George Washington (real person) cutting down the cherry tree; or, the "Woodstock (real occurrence) Myth": that everybody was there to celebrate peace and love (not necessarily or strictly speaking, true. But it's such a nice way to remember ourselves)

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
And for some, the "myth" of the moon landing... :emptiness:

walrus

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
"In some academic circles "myth" is defined as a "collection of strongly held beliefs that cause people to act". Note that the definition says nothing about truth or falsehood. If people are acting upon it, it doesn't really matter whether it is true, or not."

Wow.

What he said ;)

Or you can add the one below to your list :)

Last edited:

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Modern culture says we can have "my truth" and "your truth," but nothing could be further from the truth. The truth is exclusive; other opinions are just that.

JF-30

Reaction score
Modern culture says we can have "my truth" and "your truth," but nothing could be further from the truth. The truth is exclusive; other opinions are just that.

One mans truth is another mans lie.

Except that Jimi Hendrix is the best guitarist. He wins every poll. How could all of them be wrong?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
1969 didn't actually happen.
It's a collective myth created by the news media to sell commercials and full-page ads and foisted upon us through television programming.
Just because I remember living through it doesn't mean I actually did.