D30 machine head replacement options

DVX135

Reaction score
Guild Total
I have a 2001 D30. It has gold Grover machine heads, which are quite tarnished and fairly loose. I also don’t care for gold hardware.

I got this used, so not sure if these were original or replacements.

Looking for suggestions to get a new set.

Thanks.

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Depending on what you mean by "loose" they can be tightened easily. Or just get a new set in the finish of your choice. Some of the Gotoh tuners are very nice, but good old Grover Rotomatics are good, solid machines.

Last edited:

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
The screw that holds the buttons on is also the tension adjustment. Try snuggling them up a bit.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
^^^ What these guys said. I did have a Grover super rotomatic tuner that broke and the tension adjustment screw wouldn't do anything and I had to replace it. The rotomatics are the same and they're covered by the same warranty by Grover. You can call or email them and get a return authorization number and they will either repair or replace at their discretion. Of course, then you'll end up with one bright as hell gold knob and the rest all tarnished. But it will work.

scan0001fd.jpg

A full replacement set of 3 + 3 Rotomatics in the color of your choice will cost less than $50. It's a very easy and straight-forward swap out. Some people find Grovers a bit heavy for their taste and wish to swap for something lighter or a different brand and then you have to worry about hole sizes and screw holes lining up and/or adding new holes to your guitars headstock.

The choice is yours. You can get the Grovers on the Stew-Mac website or search for possibly cheaper somewhere else.

Try tightening the adjustment screw first to keep you playing until you replace.

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Holy Cr@p if I'd known that it would have saved me from buying umpteen sets on eBay...

I really like the old Grovers myself, the USA ones, and your guitar being that old, it's possible they were still USA. Tension screws, which are sometimes a little rusty, be careful, use lighter fluid if they are not breaking loose. A trick from the camera repair dept at the college where I took photo. Also make sure none of the little thrust washers between the tuning machines and buttons are missing, without those, there's virtually no drag.

I really like the really old Grover Rotomatics, the Pat. Pend. tuners.

Tarnished gold is cool as all get out.

Speaking of which, Page had Gold tuners on his LP, for whatever reason, found em used, probably off a Custom.

Tarnished gold grovers are highly marketable to people that are trying to re-create their own Page LP, already been there, done it, sold it to somebody in Japan.

It's actually much harder to find a set of tarnished older Grovers than it is finding a new set, you could buy 50 right now, no rarity.

Now you might look at those tuners a little differently?

Me, I'd probably go Nickel if I switched, because I like the way it tarnishes, like old LP tailpieces and p'up covers. But Martin used chrome on the D28, and those always look good, like the bumper on a old Buick.

Chrome is bluer and colder than Nickel, which is warmer and then eventually turns a dull gray.

Last edited:

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I composed my whole response to you and it got lost in a mess and now I'm drinking again. DAMN!!!

Suffice to say after a problem with my old Super-rotomatic with the Art Deco knob's tragic demise. Threw it away. And damn, but I have the 5 original perfectly working ones in the case. You say someone will actually BUY this stuff??

Wow!! But I was glad to get a new set just exactly like the old ones only crisp and and clean and bright. They've held up better than the old ones did. I think they look pretty good.

B5g3C3.jpg

So Japan will pay money for these aged tuners? They so silly......

But fine with me....

DVX135

Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks for all the responses! As for the “loose” perception, I’m comparing the feel to the open tuners on my F40. It may be that the Grovers just have a different feel, likely since they all feel the same. I’ll try adjusting a bit. Thanks for the perspective on tarnished gold hardware. Yes, I have a new found appreciation! Probably a good fit since it has maple back and sides.
Wanted to make sure these were what came with it originally.
One last question, when I go to the Grover site and look at the rotomatics, there are 6 different options that look like the ones I have. Which is the correct model #? Just in case I decide to replace them.

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
You'd have to know the exact gear ratio of the originals, I want to say 18:1 but probably way out in left field...

Anyway, they are full sized Grover Rotomatics, I assume with the more common kidney buttons, not the D'angelico stairstep style on a D30?

Then you choose which flavor, they even make them in black for Goth guitars.

Yes, it does sound like Gold pairs up real with Maple and especially if they're both worn in the same amount. I've got the goldies on my cutaway dread DC5E and they look super classy, because of the black of the headstock overlay, pickguard and Ebony bridge, stunning combination. Also my only "Snakehead" Guild.

"So Japan will pay money for these aged tuners? They so silly...... "

Sold the guitar to someone in Japan. Page has his legions of fans, and rightfully so, and Zep cover bands...

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses! As for the “loose” perception, I’m comparing the feel to the open tuners on my F40. It may be that the Grovers just have a different feel, likely since they all feel the same.
More than likely correct but the try the friction adjustment first is the best advice so far.
You probably already have.

Probably a good fit since it has maple back and sides.
Wanted to make sure these were what came with it originally.
Yep, just like my F65ce, and yep, according to '01 price list, and assuming they are actually the originals:
http://www.westerlyguildguitars.com/files/Guild2001.pdf
One last question, when I go to the Grover site and look at the rotomatics, there are 6 different options that look like the ones I have. Which is the correct model #? Just in case I decide to replace them.
Can't help you there, sorry, but I don't think they're actually the 18:1's mentioned above, think they're a little more widely ratio'd.
But could be wrong.
Never dug into it, had to worry about any of mine....
Holy Cr@p if I'd known that it would have saved me from buying umpteen sets on eBay...
To be fair and unless you were joking I'm pretty darn sure like most warranties that only applied to the original owner.
If they were on a Guild I'd bet it would have been handled by Guild on you behalf, or if it was one of those issues of change of ownership terminating your warranty then I bet Grover would've stepped up for the original owner.