The one song we'd all like to hear again before we die

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
for me it will most likely be some old hymn, but after i listen to this one, one more time:

https://youtu.be/SSR6ZzjDZ94

Boston--More Than a Feeling.

my first favorite song as a human. I was 12. The album had been out for 2 years already, but I would never known of its release till my cool uncle bought it for me for my birthday. It was a momentous and outright change for me. It was instantaneous, as soon as I put that needle down on the first song on this album, as it began to spin on the turn table...

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
More than a feeling was that for me too. Tom Scholz is a genius, good luck ever getting that sound. Neil Schon was another one in that vein, amazing tone , sustain (sustainiac), but still, there was a reason he was second guitar at Woodstock at 16...

Happy Birthday. It's my birthday too, yeah. That "Mersey" beat. Just a killer song, intricate like their stuff always was.

You know how all wannabe musicians always say "yeah, that's so easy" like AC/DC, but really can never make it happen... It was like that a few years back, got a couple guys, really good drummer and a self taught guitar player that defied all rules of music but they managed to make it work, I was the bass player. The Sun Jam Band, called that because no grid power was used for amplification, solar.

Anyway, it was my honey's Bday, and I studied the song, learned it, and then tried to get them to learn it so we could play for a double Bday party on June 12th. No can do. They couldn't do it, and the idea got aborted immediately, sad. Kinda like when I played bass in a music class college band, and the two guitar players wanted to do Voodoo Child, and after a few miserable starts, the instructor said forget it. It really killed me because I was really a guitar player who was only in the band because I was willing to play bass. Then a song by Tool "so simple anybody can do it" ...), again the instructor said forget it... Then a Zeppelin song, forget it. We ended up doing Hootie and the Blowfish, Blues Traveler, songs like Breakfast at Tiffany's because they were easier.

For a long time, my last request for a song would have been Crossroads, maybe later it would have been Comfortably Numb, these days hmmm I might go with Sultans of Swing, but it's always been about the guitar.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yes, I think, unless I got my drugs mixed up ;)

Schon was in Santana from 70-72. he started playing with carlos at age 15, clapton even wanted shon to join dereck and dominos but schon did not want to go to london. i cannot find anything putting him at woodstock,as he would only have been 13 years old.

Antney

Reaction score
My dad taught himself guitar. Made up his own fingerings and chord names. He used to play and augment these chords into a little tune (c-am-g-f, c-am-am-g#-g) but his unorthodox fingering and strumming makes it hard to recreate his version. I’d love to hear him play that tune again

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
My dad taught himself guitar. Made up his own fingerings and chord names. He used to play and augment these chords into a little tune (c-am-g-f, c-am-am-g#-g) but his unorthodox fingering and strumming makes it hard to recreate his version. I’d love to hear him play that tune again

very cool story!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Neil Schon was another one in that vein, amazing tone , sustain (sustainiac), but still, there was a reason he was second guitar at Woodstock at 16...
wait, what? the journey guitarist played woodstock '69?

Yes, I think, unless I got my drugs mixed up ;)
Nope, look at the film again my friend.
Drummer Michael Shrieve was the celebrated youngster at 19 years old.
Schon didn't join 'em until "III" :"Everybody's Everything" and "No One To Depend On" (which was the last great Santana record of my youth...I wasn't ready for the jazz-fusion of Caravanserai when it came out.)
:friendly_wink:
Ahhhh...in my rush to post I missed this, but now you're corroborated:
Schon was in Santana from 70-72. he started playing with carlos at age 15, clapton even wanted shon to join dereck and dominos but schon did not want to go to london. i cannot find anything putting him at woodstock,as he would only have been 13 years old.
"Not that there's anything wrong with that"
:glee:
And so far Jeff was the only one to catch on to my sly joke, the one song we'd ALL like to hear again... I'd hazard everybody wouldn't mind hearing "Happy Birthday" one more time before check-out.....no matter how long they had to wait... :glee:
But now, anybody who cares to name the song they'd like to hear one more time before checkout, feel free!
I got too many to name just one, but it might just be "Tomorrow Never Knows".
Jeff'll know why.

Last edited:

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
How Great Thou Art played by local bluegrass group. When they practice, they are kind enough to call me and I try to go often. It is an instrumental and the "banjer," guitar, and fiddle do a run at the end of each verse. Those sounds run deep into my soul and make me feel closer to Christ than 99% of the sermons I have listened to.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Agreed, Al, "Tomorrow Never Knows" would be a good one! "It is not dying..."

walrus

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Agreed, Al, "Tomorrow Never Knows" would be a good one! "It is not dying..."

walrus

Kinda continuing in the theme, I've always envisioned putting together a recording of all my favorite tunes to listen to while I wait for the moment... in some kind of logical-to-myself order.
Of course that assumes I'll be able to plan my time to cross over, or at least be aware and cognizant that it's imminent, a luxury not everybody gets to enjoy...
I'll be 64 next March.
"When I'm 64" is NOT on the playlist.
:shocked:

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Kinda continuing in the theme, I've always envisioned putting together a recording of all my favorite tunes to listen to while I wait for the moment... in some kind of logical-to-myself order.
Of course that assumes I'll be able to plan my time to cross over, or at least be aware and cognizant that it's imminent, a luxury not everybody gets to enjoy...
I'll be 64 next March.
"When I'm 64" is NOT on the playlist.
:shocked:

care to share the play list? :)

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
care to share the play list? :)
Possibly later, understandably it's a subject one tends to avoid dwelling on.... but the majority will definitely be instrumentals, as Stuball so artfully explained:
It is an instrumental and the "banjer," guitar, and fiddle do a run at the end of each verse. Those sounds run deep into my soul and make me feel closer to Christ than 99% of the sermons I have listened to.
For sure "The Fool" and "Gold and Silver" by Quicksilver Messenger Service...
"A Love Supreme" by John Coltrane
(This is part of the liner notes, not lyrics):
coltrane_psalm_poetry_thumb

"Scotland" by Larry Coryell
"Cristo Redentor" by Harvey Mandel
"Rice Pudding" by Jeff Beck
"Pali Gap" by Hendrix
"Incident at Neshabur" by Santana

Last edited:

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
That's really cool, Al. Thanks for posting that gem from John Coltrane.

idealassets

Reaction score
Nope, look at the film again my friend.
Drummer Michael Shrieve was the celebrated youngster at 19 years old.
Schon didn't join 'em until "III" :"Everybody's Everything" and "No One To Depend On" (which was the last great Santana record of my youth...I wasn't ready for the jazz-fusion of Caravanserai when it came out.)
:friendly_wink:
Here I go again, historian that I aspire to be; Al, there is conflicting info about this, but more recent comparisons dictates that Henry Gross was the youngest with Sha-Na-Na at 18 (just turned). Michael Shrieve was 20. This might be due to the data being withheld on Henry Gross, since Michael Shrieve was known as the youngest, mostly undisputed for many decades.

Albeit Santana was in the spotlight at Woodstock and Sha Na Na was more of a novelty item. According to Henry Gross Santana was paid $750 for their performance and Sha Na Na was paid $300, although the check bounced when the band went to get their money.. The highest paid were reported to be Sly & Family Stone, Jimi Hendrix, and the Who.