The one song we'd all like to hear again before we die

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Here I go again, historian that I aspire to be; Al, there is conflicting info about this, but more recent comparisons dictates that Henry Gross was the youngest with Sha-Na-Na at 18 (just turned). Michael Shrieve was 20. This might be due to the data being withheld on Henry Gross, since Michael Shrieve was known as the youngest, mostly undisputed for many decades.
Ah, fair enough, although my comment was based on my suspicion Guildedagain may have been confusing Schon with Shrieve for the age thing in Santana , not that he was the youngest guy there overall, but yeah, I can understand why you thought I meant what you addressed: "celebrated youngster" could be interpreted as you did...And I quoted my memory of it from a buddy in high school who said when the film came out: "That guy's just 19!!" and it stuck with me ever since.
We were pretty accutely aware he was way beyond anybody in any of the high school bands we knew of.
:smile:
(And yeah I never even understood WTH ShaNaNA was even doing there and never even looked into their history.)

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
That's really cool, Al. Thanks for posting that gem from John Coltrane.
:smile:
My best buddy introduced me to that in my twenties, we were already tuning in to the spiritual mission of music, we just liked a different style.
You could do a whole lot worse for an introduction to so-called "free jazz", in case it gets your curiosity up.
It's a landmark.
:friendly_wink:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
"A Love Supreme" by John Coltrane
(This is part of the liner notes, not lyrics):
coltrane_psalm_poetry_thumb

I always liked the McLaughlin/Santana version:

walrus

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
My dad taught himself guitar. Made up his own fingerings and chord names. He used to play and augment these chords into a little tune (c-am-g-f, c-am-am-g#-g) but his unorthodox fingering and strumming makes it hard to recreate his version. I’d love to hear him play that tune again
Reminds me of my grandmother's autoharp playing.
She bequeathed it to my aunt, who played it for both gramma and grampa when each of them passed, not too far apart.
Reminds me I should ask her to make sure I'm next in line for it so she doesn't forget.

idealassets

Reaction score
(And yeah I never even understood WTH ShaNaNA was even doing there and never even looked into their history.)
I think according to Wikipedia, Jimi Hendrix saw them in New York, and thought they were an unusual act, also had something to do with getting them into Woodstock. I recall seeing Jimi just backstage in films of Woodstock when Sha Na Na sang Teen Angel.

Ah yes, found it here in "Woodstock lost footage", Jimi is watching closely beginning at 1:18: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqN9n2FbuJE -Things I never knew until just recently. Perhaps this act reminded someone of their teenage years, although the original song was before my time.

Last edited:

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total

Some sources claim Hendrix had heard them and suggested they be on the bill. Wasn't the first time they "opened" for Hendrix.

idealassets

Reaction score
Some sources claim Hendrix had heard them and suggested they be on the bill. Wasn't the first time they "opened" for Hendrix.

Maybe something about not being upstaged by the opening act. Although the Monkees weren't too keen about that when Jimi Hendrix became their opening act. Furthermore the scene was changing so rapidly during that time, that who could predict what was feasible to happen next?

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I hear most of them every night before I go to sleep. Just in case it's the last time. And even if I don't hear all of them, it's okay. I've had a real good time in this life. And I still am so far. So to answer your question..... none, or all. Either one.

beecee

Reaction score
Wait..... if I die, are you saying the music is over??? Holy CRAP!!! I thought that's when it would really start.......

Well....if there ain't any music there I ain't going!

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
To veer, is there any significance to the fact that it is a Stairway to Heaven but a Highway to Hell?

Yeah:
“Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it.But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it." Matthew7:13-14

When my lefty friend Scott passed away his wife said he would need a lefty harp in Heaven. After much discussion, we ascertained that there are no left-handed harps, just like there are no left-handed pianos...

Last edited:

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
"Into The Mystic" by Van Morrison,

"Long As I Can See The Light" Creedence Clearwater Revival.

TX

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Sheesh, I couldla swore Shrieve was 16 ;) This is how legends work, passed on through the ages.

Gotta watch that Miss Information, people tell you things, you stupidly believe them. It comes back on you...

I think that's a lesson you just about relearn everyday.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Maybe something about not being upstaged by the opening act. Although the Monkees weren't too keen about that when Jimi Hendrix became their opening act. Furthermore the scene was changing so rapidly during that time, that who could predict what was feasible to happen next?

Ohnonononono: The Monkees (EXPpecially Micky and Peter) actually dug Hendrix very much and were instrumental in getting him onto their tour.
Micky's recounted the story several times.
39766811893_3619df3818_k.jpg

4b2ace890261403e24b69d5fed8da7d7.jpg

Peter jammed with him and Buddy Miles at Steven Still's Malibu house.
(You did know that Stills and Tork were good buddies, right?)
2f60ae268b111f2f49b56493f0cee6bf.jpg

6imtz5k0c9c01.jpg

Yes that's Mike's guitar.
In fact Tork's Laurel Canyon house was a well-known and notorious party hangout in the underground scene in the '60's, and thinking about it, think Hendrix also stayed there during a '68 tour.
The real problem was that all the young girls were screaming out the Monkees names (just like they did for the Beatles 4 years earlier) during Hendrix's set and it drove Hendrix nuts because they obviously weren't listening to the music.: It obviously wasn't a good fit.
hendrix-monkees41.jpg

In a practical joke on journalists a tale was cooked up that due to his unsavory stage antics he'd been targeted by the Daughters of the American Revolution who threatened to keep all their young girls at home if he remained on the tour.
:glee:

Last edited: