Dysfunctional Design

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Longtime members and active posters may recall one of my favorite pet peeve topics, dysfunctional design, like car windshields canted so far back in the quest for optimum drag co-efficient that they become dashboard reflectors, thus interfering with what I'd consider to be a higher priority of good visibility through the windshield....
SO naturally this latest caught my eye.
(It's a link):
Apple warns not to keep its credit card by leather. Or denim. Or loose change.
"Apple (AAPL) updated its support webpage this week to warn customers that some fabrics, such as leather and denim, could cause permanent discoloration to the Apple Card. That damage won't wash off.
Apple also advises against placing the card in a wallet slot that already has a different credit card, so it doesn't get scratched. And the company says customers should not store their Apple Card in a pocket or bag with loose change, keys or "other potentially abrasive objects."
"If your titanium Apple Card comes into contact with hard surfaces or materials, it's possible that the coating can be damaged," Apple said on its website.
The bottom line: The Apple Card probably shouldn't touch anything.....
The company first announced the Apple Card in March, promising "the most significant change in the credit card experience in 50 years."

Sounds like they're succeeding so far.
To be fair this would probably be invisible to me since I believe that the best way to ensure you don't bust your limit is to leave 'em in a box at home.
ALL the time.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Pure genius - not!

However, an excellent card for nudists!

walrus

merlin6666

Reaction score
One apple would think that the apple fans use apple pay with their apple device and that apple card would be something out previous apple century. I prefer apple records products anyway.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I pretty much don't allow anything that says "Apple" on it into my house or into my computer.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I'm just waiting for 'em to buy Tesla so they can offer a self driving car that allows you to shop from your iPhone while riding while Alexa talks back to you, recreating the cherished back seat driver ambience that lends to the illusion of old-fashioned driving:

"Watch out for the dog!"
"Don't follow so close!"
"Slow down!"
"You were supposed to turn back there."
"Are we there yet?"

"Alexa, bite me."

Last edited:

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
I suspect credit cards will soon be yesterday's tech…folks will use their smartgizmos instead, as they (I) already do with dedicated apps at some places. So Apple's credit card is a puzzler in practical terms. But it makes more sense as a luxury/status signaler, thus the warnings about it getting discolored or scuffed up in use. :)

-Dave-

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I suspect credit cards will soon be yesterday's tech…folks will use their smartgizmos instead, as they (I) already do with dedicated apps at some places. So Apple's credit card is a puzzler in practical terms. But it makes more sense as a luxury/status signaler, thus the warnings about it getting discolored or scuffed up in use. :)

-Dave-

Yep, some of us wants players, some of us wants case queens....
:glee:
Interesting corollary:
City of SF's ban on cashless stores went into effect this AM.
Talk about full circle, it used to be "Do you accept credit cards?"...then it became "Whaddaya mean you don't take cash?!?!?"
:shocked:

Last edited:

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Yep, some of us wants players, some of us wants case queens....
:glee:
Interesting corollary:
City of SF's ban on cashless stores went into effect this AM.
Talk about full circle, it used to be "Do you accept credit cards?"...then it became "Whaddaya mean you don't take cash?!?!?"
:shocked:

Among the people I know who live in the greater SF area, most of 'em have moved out of the city proper over the past couple years. There are a bunch of reasons for this, though dysfunction (on multiple levels) is certainly one of 'em.

-Dave-

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Yay Apple Bashing!

This sounds like a job for....

5.17-Gallagher-last-smash-tour-at-Chandler-Courtesy-Chandler-Center-for-the-Arts.jpg

Gallagher.

Not to be (understandably) confused with David Crosby.
images

Sledgehammers btw are epitomes of elegant design.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm not among the bashers (usually) but they do back themselves into function follows form cul-de-sacs more often than I'd like.

-Dave-

No doubt. Don't get me started on the Mac Pro trash can design or the keyboards on the new Macbook Pros. This card though, is a physical representation of Apple getting into the credit game in an ecosystem where no one uses the physical card, anyway. The physical card is the least defining feature of what Apple is doing here but since people love to bash on Apple everyone is fixating on its physical flaws.

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I'm still on a 2007 Macbook Pro 17" with one of those hi res matte screens, the kind that's so clear that culling pics (I culled over 100k last year, took six months?) is a breeze, the screen is so good, deficient pics just jump out at you. I think I "learned to see" more by going over 12 years of digital files than I ever learned any other way.

Apple stuff was pretty amazing then, and I came from PC's, built my own towers, etc. I'm a AMD chip fan, just to be a rebel.

Both me and the one who must be obeyed have been on Macbook Macbook Pros since about '08 and have never had a scrap of anti virus, never an issue, the only issue is how Apple will find ways of crippling your old machine with updates, so you have to buy a new one. Planned obsolesce must be obeyed.

Don't get me going on the Cloud...

Hey you, get off my cloud ;)

McCloud.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I still have my 17" non-glare MBP. Put an SSD drive in there and it still screams. It's also the only machine in the house that still has a DVD drive in it.

I design and build the cloud and I won't use the cloud.

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Never understood much about the cloud really. I just know that sometimes they bring rain and sometimes help block out that nasty sun. So, I guess I'm actually a cloud supporter.

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
My c. 2003 Powerbook still works great…but nowadays it's incapable of running a useful (for most purposes) Apple OS. I keep it around as a curio, though, booting it up every 6–8 months and being amused by its refusal to die. :)

-Dave-